MOVIE: Leave The World Behind

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
From a
You didn't like Gone with the Wind?
cinematic and movie making stand point, the movie is fantastic for its time and is still a fairly well made movie today.

I am not a fan of the sympathetic portrayal towards slavery and the south I felt the film had.
Again, if I could remove that and just look at the quality of the film, its a great movie. But the messaging I don't care for.

"Trust should not be doled out to anyone, especially white people"..... I think it was from the daughter it was kind of a ... IDK, different scene?

All movies have a message somewhere. I get that. And I'm okay with it. I just don't feel like I need to be hit right between the eyes with it.

So Gone with the Wind, Birth of a Nation - both are movies I don't care for.
This one was meh. Ok. But lines like that just make me really groan and then there's the ending

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The ending is intentionally ambiguous; to be determined by the viewer. Writers/directors think they're so ****ing clever when they pull this sh*t. Meanwhile, audiences generally hate lack of closure.

Agree. I don't come to a movie so I can make up my own ending. I want an ending that is either good, Great, or holy crap. Don't give me this "It's up to you to determine". Yeah that is nonsense. While were at it why I don't I just determine the rest of the movie also.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
It probably does? To be honest I'm getting to the point where I watch more and more documentaries and occasionally the news and live sports and that's about it.

History, sports, nature, news + of course some old movies and tv shows. And by told I don't mean like 1950s although there are a few I just mean, ones from 5, 10, 15 whatever years ago

• Agree
Reactions: CyJam and cayin

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The ending is intentionally ambiguous; to be determined by the viewer. Writers/directors think they're so ****ing clever when they pull this sh*t. Meanwhile, audiences generally hate lack of closure.
You’re right. But an ending where it’s up to the viewers on how they interpret it (like Inception or The Graduate) are still endings.

This just movie doesn’t have an ending. It just stops.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
From a

cinematic and movie making stand point, the movie is fantastic for its time and is still a fairly well made movie today.

I am not a fan of the sympathetic portrayal towards slavery and the south I felt the film had.
Again, if I could remove that and just look at the quality of the film, its a great movie. But the messaging I don't care for.

"Trust should not be doled out to anyone, especially white people"..... I think it was from the daughter it was kind of a ... IDK, different scene?

All movies have a message somewhere. I get that. And I'm okay with it. I just don't feel like I need to be hit right between the eyes with it.

So Gone with the Wind, Birth of a Nation - both are movies I don't care for.
This one was meh. Ok. But lines like that just make me really groan and then there's the ending

Yeah, they didn't really cover the issue of slavery. I remember the two female house slaves, but they weren't really the focus of the story. They almost seemed like family members to Scarlett. Weird, I know, but those relationships did exist in that time period. Did it show the horrors of slavery? Of course not. Slavery wasn't the focus of the story, and it was from the point of view of an antebellum era spoiled woman. And it was made in 1939. I just take it for what it is. It's a good movie.

I've watched part of Birth of a Nation. Didn't really like it. Wasn't that the movie Woodrow Wilson showed in the White House?

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah, they didn't really cover the issue of slavery. I remember the two female house slaves, but they weren't really the focus of the story. They almost seemed like family members to Scarlett. Weird, I know, but those relationships did exist in that time period. Did it show the horrors of slavery? Of course not. Slavery wasn't the focus of the story, and it was from the point of view of an antebellum era spoiled woman. And it was made in 1939. I just take it for what it is. It's a good movie.

I've watched part of Birth of a Nation. Didn't really like it. Wasn't that the movie Woodrow Wilson showed in the White House?
I guess I just struggle with the movie and distinguishing between the two. But that's just me. Again, based on the movie itself outside of those cultural pieces, yes, its a incredibly well made movie.

Yes, Birth of the Nation is that movie and was heavily promoted by the clan at the time

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Watched the Green Knight the other day. It was very slow but I really enjoyed how they portrayed the characters accurately for the time period. I tend to like introspective movies but I can see why others wouldn't like it.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
It was slow, so kinda realistic in that you wouldn't know what's going on but also annoying that you didn't know what was going on ever. And the tension between the two families was so forced. Some scenes were interesting I guess.

It's a Netflix movie so expect bloated budget with big name A list stars and mediocre to bad everything else.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I lasted till about where the owners of the rental house come in and then decided to hang it up, because I was hoping that Julia Roberts would get zapped by a space ray from whoever had caused the grid outage. Since I pretty well knew that that wasn't going to happen, I left her to whatever eventual fate befalls her. IMHO it was never going to be bad enough anyway. So, meh.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
It was kind of hit you between the eyes, but I thought it was thought provoking. The tension in the family kind of helped gloss over that something big was happening not too far away from them, but they couldn't get over the things that keep them apart in "normal" times. The fact that someone was just able to break the Internet and everyone went wild is just a little over the top.

But, let's let AI loose to improve itself until it breaks AES 256 Bit and decides that money is the root of all evil and erases everything. Then it decides that humans and their electricity are really a problem and it shuts down the power grid. All hell would break loose, you know there are crazy MFers out there that would love to go and get theirs once the police aren't around. It is not THAT far fetched in my opinion.

Are people decent to each other becuase people are good? Or is it becuase there are consequences to pay if you get caught?

This movie leaves a lot of thinking to be done even though they spoon feed you the "people turning on each other" idea, I kind of liked that. AND... it DOES have an ending. The daughter finally finds out what happened to Rachel and Ross. The End.