Movie Remakes - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I feel like both True Grit versions are good.
Absolutely. The remake was damn near perfection. It was truly what a remake should be - take what was great about the original and keep it. Learn what in hindsight wasn't as great or didn't age as well and change it.

Reactions: JP4CY and BigTurk

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I would take the 2nd JJ Abrahms Trek film (ie TWOK attempted re-hash) and send everyone involved - writers, crew, actors, marketing, everyone - to live on a desert island and be forced to watch that movie on a continuous loop, until the end of their natural lives.

And not like a tropical desert island. Like one of the little ones in the Bering Straight, where it's windy and freezing all the time and the only thing to eat is industrial fish.

Not a fan.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
If the "Roadhouse" remake doesn't have the same level of gratuitous nudity as the original then I have no interest in seeing it.

Anyway...the "Point Break" remake that came out a few years ago was an absolute atrocity. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Point Break, the original, was a horrible movie. I know I am in the minority with that opinion.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The early 2000s remake of Dawn of the Dead is the rare remake we’re fans of a cherished classic have to admit the remake is really good.
It ad some good points and bad points. The opening 10 minutes was incredible

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Thoughts on Total Recall? I thought the remake, while not a great movie on it’s own, was way better than the original.
There were elements of it I liked, but it took itself way too serious. The original is super corny, but that was part of its charm.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Original Poltergeist is one of my favorite movies of all time and I rather enjoyed 2015 version.

I pretty much hate all of the Disney remakes of their classics. Lazy cash grab.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
The remake of "The Taking of Pelham 123" is way better than the original. Could be because Denzel is such a superior actor.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Vacation remake with rusty driving the car and Christina Applegate had some good moments but was not anywhere near the original. Prime Chevy Chase was so good. Glad we didn’t have the internet back then to see how much of a jerk he was.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
"The Bird Cage" with Robin Williams is a masterpiece remake of "La Cage aux Folles" and it has to be because of his impeccable performance. Or, could be because Gene Hackman was genius as the conservative Senator forced to escape Miami in drag.

That trailer for the original doesn't look funny at all. It looks like an arthouse film or something, not a comedy.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
That trailer for the original doesn't look funny at all. It looks like an arthouse film or something, not a comedy.

Humor is cultural.

One of the biggest box office hits ever in France, "Le Père Noël est une ordure" (Santa Claus is a piece of sh*t) tanked dramatically when they tried to remake it in English (Mixed Nuts). Even Steve Martin couldn't save it.

It's also temporal.

Most of what was funny decades ago is no longer that funny. And some of what was supposed to be serious is not hilarious. I give you "Reefer Madness".

Help Support Us

Become a patron