moving on to next years team

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Here’s my guess on position starters (*) and minutes (200 total across five positions):

Point Guard: Ryan* (35+), Jackson (5)

Wings/shooting guard (80 minutes across 2): Diew* (20), Bristow*(25), New Portal Transfers (20-30), Joens (10), Jackson (5-10)

Forward: Brown* (20+), Diew (5-10), New Portal Transfer (10-15)

__
Pretty clear a portal transfer need is the wing/shooting guard roles due to the departures of Lexi and Denae and needed depth at the Forward (4).
From the highlights I have seen of the freshman, Brown is more comfortable away from the basket than Bristow. Bristow is long and athletic, but she seems like a natural 4 or 5 to me. Brown is good on the wing facing the basket. It was great to see her guard 3-5 in the McDonald’s game. That should provide some flexibility. I could see Bristow in the post on offense and Brown guarding the opposing post on defense.

Ashley has carried so much of the scoring load in recent years. It will be interesting to see where our scoring comes from.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
So if Brown and Bristow are the bigs, Brown defends the post? I thought it was the opposite, but I haven’t seen them.
I think it depends on the size of the opposing post. Ideally, I think Bristow would be a 4 and Brown a 3. Bristow is built like Kristin Scott but she appears to be more athletic. Brown seems like she could maybe guard 3-5.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The 6’3” Brown will play the 4/5 on defense and 3-5 on offense….

Here is the link to her post McDonald’s game interview where se self describes her reason for choosing Iowa State and says she can play the 3,4 or 5::
““I really picked Iowa State because of their style of play,” Brown said. “They have done great things with versatile players and I feel like that’s what I am. That’s my biggest strength is just being versatile and I can play the three, the four, the five, whatever they need me to play.”
Brown Post MDonald All American Basketball Game Article

While being a talented “big” that can stretch the floor, she has not played point any more than Ashley (who often many times a game brought the ball up and initiated the offense).

She has more size than Ashley and wouldn’t be surprised if she plays some minutes at the 5 (more related to guarding the other teams bigs) as she did in the McDonald’s game.

On her Twitter - where she explains why she chose Iowa State - she refers to herself as a “forward”
Addy Brown - self described “Forward” on her Twitter explanation of why she chose Iowa State

I see what you mean by the reference in the Gatorade POY write up, but I think that is an error.
Brown Gatorade POY Write Up

Based on the players we have now I see her playing mainly the 3.

Post Izzy and Crooks
PF/ small ball 5 Diew and Bristow
SF Brown and Diew
SG Joens and Jackson
PG Ryan and Jackson

Could really use another forward and wing from the portal to give us much needed experience.

Reactions: bozclone

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Based on the players we have now I see her playing mainly the 3.

Post Izzy and Crooks
PF/ small ball 5 Diew and Bristow
SF Brown and Diew
SG Joens and Jackson
PG Ryan and Jackson

Could really use another forward and wing from the portal to give us much needed experience.
...and depth!

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I think it depends on the size of the opposing post. Ideally, I think Bristow would be a 4 and Brown a 3. Bristow is built like Kristin Scott but she appears to be more athletic. Brown seems like she could maybe guard 3-5.
Isn’t Jalynn Bristow of “slight” build, along the lines of Ny Diew? Amongst the successful teams (with the exception of EIU), the 4’s and 5’s in today’s game have to bang. Ny isn’t big enough to bang and I fear Jalynn isn’t either.

If CBF can change his ways, a motion four guard position less offense could be interesting and fun, with Izzy, Audi and TBD in the post. Emily was once a scorer and we know she can shoot - take away the point responsibility and set her free!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Crooks is a big girl. But she is more athletic than you think. Crooks has played high level AAU ball. She will adjust and be a presence in the post.
Agree, she's just going to have to work her way into playing longer stretches through conditioning.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Crooks is a big girl. But she is more athletic than you think. Crooks has played high level AAU ball. She will adjust and be a presence in the post.

She does have the quick high pass catch and shoot down it looked like in the state tournament hopefully it transfers to college.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Aclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Isn’t Jalynn Bristow of “slight” build, along the lines of Ny Diew? Amongst the successful teams (with the exception of EIU), the 4’s and 5’s in today’s game have to bang. Ny isn’t big enough to bang and I fear Jalynn isn’t either.

If CBF can change his ways, a motion four guard position less offense could be interesting and fun, with Izzy, Audi and TBD in the post. Emily was once a scorer and we know she can shoot - take away the point responsibility and set her free!
I guess I considered Kristin Scott somewhat slight in build when I compared Bristow to her. It think Bristow is closer in size to Kristin than Ny.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I don't think it makes a difference unless the offensive philosophy changes.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
With next year's class, hopefully ISU's interior defense improves (and rebounding), but there has not been much discussion on the need for perimeter defense reinforcements with the likely drop off with Lexi and Denae departing... while at times we had challenges this year keeping quick perimeter players in check, likely next year this will be a bigger challenge.

Would be great to get a quick perimeter defender with a solid three point shooting percentage from the transfer portal to add to the mix.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
She does have the quick high pass catch and shoot down it looked like in the state tournament hopefully it transfers to college.

Audi has great footwork skill and very good hands and touch. With her bulk and athleticism Audi has a much higher ceiling than our usual post players. And the players coming in with her have higher ceiling as compared to our usual players. Future looks bright. Hope Denae and Lexi find what they are looking for.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
With the addition of Natabou, what’s everyone’s projection of the starting lineup right now? I think Bill still needs to work the portal before the lineup can be complete. Had Donarski and Fritz stayed, I think the roster would have been really solid.

As of now I’d go:
PG: Emily Ryan
SG: Addy Brown
SF: Nyamer Diew
PF: Jalynn Bristow
C: Isnelle Natabou
6. Hannah Belanger
7. Audi Crooks
8. Arianna Jackson
9. Izzi Zingaro
10. Kelsey Joens
11. Shantavia Dawkins

This is probably so far from being accurate but did my best. Iowa State needs to add some scoring guards from the portal in a bad way, IMO. Do we expect that to happen?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I don't see Brown, Bristow, and Diew all starting. Maybe two of those three, but not likely all three. Belanger or a freshman (Joens/Jackson) might start at SG, but I agree that scoring guards need to be the portal emphasis now. I'd give it a greater than 50% chance that the starter at SG is someone not even on that list yet.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I don't see Brown, Bristow, and Diew all starting. Maybe two of those three, but not likely all three. Belanger or a freshman (Joens/Jackson) might start at SG, but I agree that scoring guards need to be the portal emphasis now. I'd give it a greater than 50% chance that the starter at SG is someone not even on that list yet.
I agree with everything you said. I basically just decided to go with Brown, Diew and Bristow because I believe that would be Iowa State’s most talented lineup that they could put on the floor as of now. I also don’t think the starting SG is on the roster right now. Ryan-transfer SG-Brown-Diew-Natabou? Or Ryan PG-TransferSG-TransferSG-Brown or Diew-Natabou?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Ryan-transfer SG-Brown-Diew-Natabou?
This is my feeling right now. We'd have Belinger/Joens/Jackson backing up 2/3 (and 1, for the handful of minutes Ryan isn't out there), Bristow backing up 4, and Crooks/Zingaro at 5. Natabou did play 34 mpg last season, but I'm thinking we could afford for her to play harder but with fewer minutes, since Zingaro and Crooks are probably both available for 10-15 minutes at least.

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
Here’s my guess on position starters (*) and minutes (200 total across five positions):

Point Guard: Ryan* (30-35), Jackson (5-10)

Wings/shooting guard (80 minutes across 2): Diew* (20), Bristow*(25), New Portal Transfers (20-30), Joens (10), Jackson (5-10)

Forward: Brown* (25-35), Diew (5-10), New Portal Transfer (5-10)

__
Pretty clear a portal transfer need is the wing/shooting guard roles due to the departures of Lexi and Denae and needed depth at the Forward (4).
4/20 update:

Point Guard: Ryan* (30-35), Jackson (5-10)

Wings/shooting guard (80 minutes across 2): Diew* (20), Belanger* (20), Bristow (20), Joens (10), New Portal Transfer

Forward: Brown* (30+), Diew (5-10)

__
Portal need: shooting guard/wing/strong/tough perimeter defender — any chance to get Fritz to stay?

Roster looking much stronger with two portal additions. My hope is that even with new additions, that all five incoming freshman still get some playing time to develop.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We all know Ryan is the bell cow and will play 34-36 per game average. After that I agree with most that Brown is likely a starter. Post starter out of the gate will be whoever looks the best in practice. That could evolve during the season and we may see situational changes. Until I see Natabou play I can't inject her as a starter yet. The starting shooting guard will likely be someone that is a consistent threat such as Belanger and Bristow. Joens could be right in there as well. Diew is too hot and cold to start at this position. Definitely will add some depth though. Forward will be Brown and Diew in that order.

As others have pointed out I won't be surprised to see another shooting guard brought in. This will also heavily depend on who the staff has identified as a stopper on defense (i.e. replacing Lexi).

Even with the departures it's fun to look at the potential lineups as there is depth at every position. The only real question mark in my opinion is who has the skills and confidence to back up Ryan.

• Agree
Reactions: wbbnut

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is my feeling right now. We'd have Belinger/Joens/Jackson backing up 2/3 (and 1, for the handful of minutes Ryan isn't out there), Bristow backing up 4, and Crooks/Zingaro at 5. Natabou did play 34 mpg last season, but I'm thinking we could afford for her to play harder but with fewer minutes, since Zingaro and Crooks are probably both available for 10-15 minutes at least.

Agree on the post take. I don't really care who starts. If Natabou/Zingaro/Crooks can combo platter together 15 points and 10 rebounds a game we will be in pretty good shape. The Kane/Jordao tandem averaged 33 minutes and 13.4 pts and 9.2 rebounds, almost a double/double. My concern at post might be more on the defense side. From talk here and stats, Natabou isn't a defensive presence in the paint or at least has few blocks and steals and doesn't foul. And am totally in the wait and see category on whether Crooks can play Div 1 defense. Hopefully Zingaro can continue to improve, she had some moments this season.

NC schedule next year will be pretty interesting. I won't complain if it's on the soft side with so many new faces and freshman. We have seven new players who are stepping up a level, five from HS to college, one Div II player up to Div I P5 and a lower Div I up to P5.