Moving to Houston?

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I know we've got a bunch of TX Clones on here so maybe I'll get some good info.

So there is a better than even chance that I'll be moving to Houston in the next 3-6 months for a bridge project (Ship Channel Bridge Replacement). That being said anybody have recommendations / general advice on the area? Just doing some prelim research right now.

It looks like the Pasadena / Deer Park area might be a decent choice? I'm trying to keep my commute down under 20 minutes or so. I'm one of those 12-13 hours at work a day idiots so I don't really want another hour commute in each direction. A 5 AM work start is bad enough as it is.

I spent 5 years in New Orleans and I'm coming up on 4.5 years just outside of NYC so I'm all to familiar with the summer weather and nasty traffic. Single w/ no kids or significant other so none of that really factors in.

Of course this all assumes that I do actuall get moved. I could end up spending another year here in NY or the one manager I've worked with for 9 years could try and pull me into our Long Beach office to help him or I could get sent to Hawaii for a project we've got going there.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Well good luck with your future plans. And good luck finding a 20-min commute - LOL.
If you want to be close to the Ship Channel and have a short commute, I suggest you avoid the 146-Hgwy, because it gets very congested at 8am & 5pm.
Perhaps you can explore Webster / NASA - Space Center area, which would be a short drive (7-miles), but still could take 20-min. Should be some good homes / apartments in that area.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tell them five years in NOLA has earned you the Hawaii project assignment. They owe you. Just sayin'.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
12-13 hours a day? Woof
I hope you take some time off and relax too.