MU Hotel to Become Student Housing

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I went out to the DOR website and views some of the content and videos and I am amazed just how much the dorms have changed since I last lived in one in 2002. Pretty much all the rooms come furnished with lofts now and the dining centers look like they have really improved. I remember having to buy and assemble your own loft, some of those larger rooms in old RCA people would build their own custom lofts to really take advantage of the space too.

I find myself getting more jealous of what there is in Ames and ISU now compared to when I went to ISU as there is a lot of new buildings, stores, and places to eat that didn't exist when I was there and wish they had back then.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Not surprising, I think the hotel was going away anyway. A major remodel is in the early planning stages for the MU and may be completed in the next 5 years, current construction estimate is ~$35 mil and around 100,000 sq ft will be renovated including those hotel levels (4-6).

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/student_life/article_ec584874-ddd4-11e5-b9fd-8b0db5198e67.html

This is a helpful point...so for a few years they can use it as overflow. I think they could've made the Central Campus facing rooms competitive, like the rooms on U of Virginia's central quad (no A/C but its an honor to be a Senior who lives there, etc).

UVA
https://www.virginia.edu/housing/options.php?id=lawn

I think it would have been great to have been at ISU when the old Alumni Center (now Enrollment Services) was dorms with that awesome upper deck (til mid 1980s). Scroll down for history:
http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/maps/buildings/building.asp?id=7

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Another link to that new residence hall opening up in 2017: http://www.housing.iastate.edu/places/new-residence-hall

I'm trying to find some kind of article or documents on ISU's DOR "Master Plan" that was unveiled in 1998 that laid out a timeline and list of projects they were going to do to improve and add more dorm space but I'm not finding much other than some opinion articles or bits and pieces of it. I recall the DOR giving us a big presentation of the Master plan during one of our RA trainings either in 1999 or 2000 and I'd be really curious to see just how much of it actually got accomplished or was changed. Back then the hot topics were when they tore down parts of Friley and Helser and the eventual demolition of Knapp and Storms towers. I was a RA in Storms for 3 semesters so I came back and witnessed the implosion in person which was a cool thing to see but I thought part of the original master plan they want to build some suite style dorms at some point where Knapp and Storms were at.

I'm not sure what the high demand type of rooms are now in the dorms but at the time it seemed like the suite style and the double as a single type rooms were something the DOR was really wanting to push going forward in their renovations because they felt they were getting more demand for those. Hawthorne/Fredriksen court opened up while I was in school and became pretty popular as what it replaced was some really crummy student apartment options. I thought I remember that at point that original master plan possibly could have included demolishing most if not all of the old RCA buildings which was a bit of a touchy subject too because those buildings are so old and almost iconic/landmarks on campus no one wanted to think about possibly replacing them.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I went out to the DOR website and views some of the content and videos and I am amazed just how much the dorms have changed since I last lived in one in 2002. Pretty much all the rooms come furnished with lofts now and the dining centers look like they have really improved. I remember having to buy and assemble your own loft, some of those larger rooms in old RCA people would build their own custom lofts to really take advantage of the space too.

I find myself getting more jealous of what there is in Ames and ISU now compared to when I went to ISU as there is a lot of new buildings, stores, and places to eat that didn't exist when I was there and wish they had back then.

Cost of attendance has gone up about 8000% if that makes you feel any better :jimlad:

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames

I was always broke way back when I was in Ames. Don't know how students do it now.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Have they done anything with the basement of Helser yet? Chessman's lounge and everything seems like a ridiculous waste of unused space.

I don't think they've done much with Helser since the 1970's when my brother lived there, other than knock part of it down for the UDCC. Despite it being a dump, the first swing of the wrecking ball did nothing.:spinny: Worst thing when my son lived there was those first few weeks when it's hot and there's no air and you are sleeping in a loft. Still, the guys he met there are his friends for life. I guess shared adversity creates a strong bond.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I wonder if the plans to build another suite building in UDA are still on the drawing board.

Helser really needs knocked into the ground. My year in there was the year they kicked everyone out who had contracts for the next year and said they were closing the building.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
I wonder if the plans to build another suite building in UDA are still on the drawing board.

Helser really needs knocked into the ground. My year in there was the year they kicked everyone out who had contracts for the next year and said they were closing the building.

I don't even think Helser is next on the list for replacement. Pretty sure BWR is on deck in terms of demolition/replacement after they open the new one next to Buchanan.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't even think Helser is next on the list for replacement. Pretty sure BWR is on deck in terms of demolition/replacement after they open the new one next to Buchanan.

Back in like.. 04.. i believe they were planning on knocking down the sw end of friey, building another suite building to complete the wraparound, and knocking down helser so UDA would have green space

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
When my kid first saw Helser he described it in thug lyfe terms. His brother was sort of halfway hoping to get Helser, but nope.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
It would be cool if ISU some day had something similar to what Kirkwood has in CR where the school and subsequent majors manage a hotel and event space. With all the HRI/interior design/Event Management/Business majors I bet you could pull this thing off.

I've never stayed overnight there, but I've been to multiple dinners and holiday parties there. Really nice place. I have heard that it can difficult to plan events with them, but otherwise it's a great experience.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

The amount of people from that year of Helser who are on CyFan always surprises me. I am glad I wasn't stuck there for another year and ended up out in Freddy Court but it was fun Freshmen year and being able to get into the dorm early due to band was a great perk that really allowed me to explore the building a bit more than if I got there during move in.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden

...and then they opened the north back up for my freshman year in '06, the south end in '07, and haven't looked back since!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think they've done much with Helser since the 1970's when my brother lived there, other than knock part of it down for the UDCC. Despite it being a dump, the first swing of the wrecking ball did nothing.:spinny: Worst thing when my son lived there was those first few weeks when it's hot and there's no air and you are sleeping in a loft. Still, the guys he met there are his friends for life. I guess shared adversity creates a strong bond.

i lived in the wing of friley without air (near the arch). That first month was a nightmare. But those rooms had character :)

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
i lived in the wing of friley without air (near the arch). That first month was a nightmare. But those rooms had character :)

I did, too, but when I lived there, our bathrooms (I'm a girl) still had urinals in them from when it was a men-only building. We just put the big garbage cans in front of them and lived with it.
BTW, my DH lived in Helser.

And "First world problems" wasn't even a glint in anyone's eye.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Back in like.. 04.. i believe they were planning on knocking down the sw end of friey, building another suite building to complete the wraparound, and knocking down helser so UDA would have green space

Knocking down part of Friley would be terrible. Best dorm ever.

Plus all the haunted rooms are on that end.