Music Recommendations for trip

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
So I'm heading overseas and need something new to listen to on the trip over and back. Anyone have any recommendations of alternative/rock bands that may not necessarily be in the mainstream or easily heard?? I got most of the songs off the new seether album, as well as the theory of a deadman, but would like some more. Even country too.

It could be unique as well. I've circled my list on my iphone too many times and lost hard drives with older music in the past.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Bands I have been listening to lately that somewhat fit the genre you describe...I have been in a retro rock mood lately....

Rival Sons
Monster Truck
Kyng
The Sword
The Sheepdogs
Killer Be Killed (a bit heavy and wild, but good)
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Throw away that Seether and Theory of a Deadman and get some Darkest Hour and Parkway Drive.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Where you going? Sometimes there's music from the country you're heading to that you can listen to. Kind of gets you in the mood to be there - in a strange sort of way.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Where you going? Sometimes there's music from the country you're heading to that you can listen to. Kind of gets you in the mood to be there - in a strange sort of way.

Switzerland, Greece and Italy.

I know what you mean. I enjoyed the Irish and Scottish music when I was there. Once I listen to that it takes me right back to their pubs.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So I'm heading overseas and need something new to listen to on the trip over and back. Anyone have any recommendations of alternative/rock bands that may not necessarily be in the mainstream or easily heard?? I got most of the songs off the new seether album, as well as the theory of a deadman, but would like some more. Even country too.

It could be unique as well. I've circled my list on my iphone too many times and lost hard drives with older music in the past.

If you've never listened to the band Pavement, give them a shot. One of the great, obscure alt American bands from the 90s. Out of California. Start with the albums "Crooked Rain" and "Terror Twilight". You could also go with The Replacements. If you're not familiar with them, a truly awesome alternative/garage band from the 80s. From Minnesota. Go with albums "Let it Be", "Tim", and "Pleased to Meet Me". And if you're interested in something newer but equally cool, try the band MGMT, the album "Oracular Spectacular".

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
[video=youtube_share;2HQaBWziYvY]http://youtu.be/2HQaBWziYvY?list=PLxyJ5tfFYXdLvXeVY4x6aaHBaAywcdPhF[/video]

Always will remember this song the night this was played during the Ok St game. I thought JTS was coming down. And it looks European in the video but what do I know.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Go European. Manau's new album "Fantasy"...this song "Flee all that shines"

[video=youtube_share;PBqZAKIaOC4]http://youtu.be/PBqZAKIaOC4[/video]

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Man I've been listening to a lot of Prince lately. This album is real good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_(album)

Otherwise, St. Vincent's new album lands in the rock n roll area. As does Paul Simon's Graceland, which in my opinion is a top 3 album of all time.
A friend of mine gave away some of his vinyl records to me and this was one of them. Blew me away the first time I listened to it. I've always heard it's good, but I didn't realize it was that good.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Bronze Radio Return
The Colourist
KONGOS
Little Comets
Magic Man
Misterwives
Saints of Valory
Smallpools

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
[video=youtube_share;2HQaBWziYvY]http://youtu.be/2HQaBWziYvY?list=PLxyJ5tfFYXdLvXeVY4x6aaHBaAywcdPhF[/video]

Always will remember this song the night this was played during the Ok St game. I thought JTS was coming down. And it looks European in the video but what do I know.

Lol, i've never seen the video for that. You know, the girl could have gotten away quicker with better running form. Kinda cheesy, but it'll always take me back to that night against Okie state. Always a great song.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
A friend of mine gave away some of his vinyl records to me and this was one of them. Blew me away the first time I listened to it. I've always heard it's good, but I didn't realize it was that good.

Few people do until they actually listen to it. Recently found my vinyl copy which has been spinning pretty much non stop.