Music's Gary Wright death

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Gary Wright, singer-songwriter known for 70s hits 'Dream Weaver' and 'Love Is Alive,' dies at 80​

Source: ABC 7 Los Angeles

PALOS VERDES ESTATES, Calif. (KABC) -- Gary Wright, best known for his 1976 hit songs "Dream Weaver" and "Love Is Alive," died after long health battle, his son told Eyewitness News. He was 80.

His son, Justin, said his father had been suffering with Parkinson's disease and Lewy body dementia for the past six years.

The singer-songwriter died Monday morning at his home in Palos Verdes Estates surrounded by his family and loved ones.

Word of his death spread on social media with many fans and fellow musicians sharing their memories of Wright, including singer-songwriter Stephen Bishop.

Read more: https://abc7.com/gary-wright-dream-weaver-singer-celebrity-deaths-2023-love-is-alive-dies/13736354/

• Sad
Reactions: Acylum

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Wasn’t he in Steelers Wheels or something like that and had another one hit wonder ?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Wiki has a bunch of stuff I was unaware of:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Wright

I have an acquaintance who worked as a roadie/stage hand and did sound checks, lighting, and stage effects over the years and had great experience with many of the Pop/Rock stars and had two shows with Wright. He describes Gary as difficult or hard to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2122

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Wright played on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. Also, I believe on living in the material world.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wright played on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. Also, I believe on living in the material world.
I was reading an article last night before bed and it sounded like he was a studio musician for like a ton of really notable people. It seemed like a lot of the Beatles solo projects too.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
My Love is Alive- Drift Away by Dobie Gray- Chevy Van Sammy Johns will always have a place in my 70's memories

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

In May 1976 we drove all night listening to "Love Hangover," "More, More, More," and "Shake You Booty." Our party in five vehicles finally rolled into the canoe rental at 3:15 AM. It was a magic week spent fishing, experiencing the wilds, and sharing each others company of the 18 people on the trip.

Most memorable on the ride home, again in the dark, sealing the mystique of that week on a still impressionable 18 yer-old, was Gary Wright's two hits "Dream Weaver," and "Love is Alive." Both to this day take me back to that time of mosquito bites, crazy campfire stories, and comradery. Good bye Gary you talented man!

Reactions: matclone

Martalley

Nov 1, 2023
I just found out about Gary Wright's passing, and it's truly saddening to hear about the loss of a talented artist like him. His songs, especially "Dream Weaver" and "Love Is Alive," have been a part of the soundtrack of many lives.
With recent events in my own family, particularly the passing of my father, I've been reflecting on the inevitability of death and the importance of planning for it. It's a challenging subject, but it's something we all have to face sooner or later.
I've started looking into end-of-life options, and I came across some eco-friendly choices on the green farewells webpage. It's remarkable how these moments in life can prompt us to consider the environmental impact of our choices, even in such difficult times.

Last edited: