MUST READ IF YOU"RE BUYING TICKETS IN CHICAGO

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the key thing to look out for here is the tickets should be colored and have the NCAA logo on them. The tickets we bought for Denver did and I assume the same would be of Chicago, etc. If they are the standard white TicketMaster tickets with some TicketMaster receipt - I'd be VERY concerned and no way I would personally buy them.

The only way I'd do that is if the seller met me at the United Center and the tickets could be validated before I bought them.

The scary thing is that this buyer has been around the block and knew what to look for. In hindsight, there are other things he could have done, but this could have been me. In fact, he probably did more than I would have to done to verify the purchase. I probably wouldn't have even found out until I walked up to the United Center.

Now I'm wondering if the Syracuse ticket office was all a big scam. :jimlad:
I know some fans were wondering that about buying tickets through the Iona site.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think the key thing to look out for here is the tickets should be colored and have the NCAA logo on them. The tickets we bought for Denver did and I assume the same would be of Chicago, etc. If they are the standard white TicketMaster tickets with some TicketMaster receipt - I'd be VERY concerned and no way I would personally buy them.

The only way I'd do that is if the seller met me at the United Center and the tickets could be validated before I bought them.

The tickets I bought for Des Moines through ISU were colored/decorative looking tickets but the tickets I bought through NCAA/Ticketmaster for St. Louis looked more like standard white tickets but they did have silver/hologram "championship" on them but I just got a standard ticketmaster receipt with them. There were also people getting in the with print at home tickets... So it can vary.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Assuming the police would be able to find and catch the guy, yes, there would be legal grounds I would have. But, I mean getting my money back would be slim to none. I did file a police report in since the guy is still selling tickets in hopes they will set up some type of sting and get him off the streets so others aren't in my position.

I'm sure they are going to be a lot of folks who don't realize this until they try to gain entry to the place. I personally bought the tickets and was planning on selling to friends to fellow Cyclone fans that came in to town at face. I would have sold to a UVA fan but not at face, so maybe this is karma.

I would contact your local news station, I have seen similar situations where they try and catch the people for a good story.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If the scalper guy was smart he would be using the text free app (a different phone number than what is assigned to your phone) and then sign up for that app with a fake email address.
Yeah, I was going to ask the OP if he did a "reverse" phone # lookup to see if it had the guy's name.

Another question to the OP: Is the ad still up on CL? Did you meet the guy in person to get the tickets?

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I actually texted him from a different number asking if the ad was still valid. He stated it was and gave me the same seating information that is printed on my tickets. So this is in the police report and I assume he will be selling tickets throughout the week. Come event time I am sure there are going to be a few people thinking they are going to be sitting in section 116 row 6. The kicker is these tickets may actually get resold by people who don't know they are fake as well.

Have him meet you to buy more. Bring baseball bat or cops

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Here is pic of some for sale on craigslist. I badgered the guy long enough that he finally txt me the photo. I would thought they were real, if I hadn't seen 2 other sellers/ads selling the same seats.

Attachments

• att_1458484737357178.jpeg
    att_1458484737357178.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 187

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is pic of some for sale on craigslist. I badgered the guy long enough that he finally txt me the photo. I would thought they were real, if I hadn't seen 2 other sellers/ads selling the same seats.

Section 101 for $14.50? Seems legit. :jimlad:

CaryCyPwr

Nov 10, 2014
Cary, IL
Here are what the tickets for Chicago look like - I did crop the barcodes from the picture.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ChicagoRegionalTicket.jpg
    ChicagoRegionalTicket.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 848

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Stories like this are why I just go through official resellers like stubhub and only buy tickets that are available for immediate online download. Yeah, it might cost a little more. But I can be confident that the chances of the tickets being fake is very small, and that I'll get all my money back if they are.

Buying tickets off Craigslist or similar services is just asking for trouble.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It sucks the OP got caught up in an elaborate ticket scam. Craigslist is a sewer of humanity, it bears reminding from time to time.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Here are what the tickets for Chicago look like - I did crop the barcodes from the picture.

attachment.php

That is what my Des Moines tickets looked like but not my St. Louis tickets... They looked like standard event tickets purchased through NCAA/ticketmaster.

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames
It sucks the OP got caught up in an elaborate ticket scam. Craigslist is a sewer of humanity, it bears reminding from time to time.

But there are some Harris club tickets on Craigslist right now with the barcode showing, I bet they are still good, right? :jimlad:

Cystheman

May 3, 2007
Mine are in the 300 level & look identical to those tickets for anyone wondering.
I bought mine off of StubHub and UPS just dropped them off. They don't look like the fancy ticket from earlier in the thread. They look like a regular ticket but do have a hologram with the NCAA symbol and the word CHAMPIONSHIPS in it so I think they can look a couple different ways.