Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I know this is fairly last minute, but thought I'd ask this worldly group anyway. We're heading to Oregon July 4 (third time in 3 years, but mostly have been visiting relatives and them driving us around.) What should we see/where should we go July 5-7 around the Portland to The Dalles area?
Also, any recommendations for coastal must-visit locations or anywhere else in the valley?

Thanks in advance for any help. PM is fine, too.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Rogue Brewery in Portland is pretty sweet--good beer and good eats, as well. Only other thing I can recommend is running down to the coast. Can't remember the name of the town, but there's a huge rock on a beach there that was used in "The Goonies." Really cool little town and the beach is GORGEOUS, especially at sunset.

Edit: Cannon Beach, OR is where that is. Definitely worth the jaunt to get there.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Mt St Helens Park.

The gorge drive.

Mt Hood restaurant at 8000 ft.

Voodoo Doughnut.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
National Volcano Monument park in the Bend area. MUST SEE - especially the obsidian fields. Not just a quick jaunt from Portland though. Mt St Helens another MUST SEE as well. Portland rocks in general and Cannon Beach is a nice beach destination about an hour or so from Portland.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
00clone's must see list:

2.jpg

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Rogue Brewery in Portland is pretty sweet--good beer and good eats, as well. Only other thing I can recommend is running down to the coast. Can't remember the name of the town, but there's a huge rock on a beach there that was used in "The Goonies." Really cool little town and the beach is GORGEOUS, especially at sunset.

Edit: Cannon Beach, OR is where that is. Definitely worth the jaunt to get there.

AKA: Haystack Rock. I enjoyed climbing to the top of Multnomah Falls. Voodoo Doughnuts...yes please. Grab some spicy cheese fritters at Salvador Molly's.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
If you go cannon beach route, check out hug point. Also if you do go to Astoria, hit Bowpicker's fish and chips. It's awesome :)

There are some side roads around Seaside and along the coast where you can drive onto the beach as well, great thing to do and build a campfire.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Oregon rules.......anyways, most people know that.

1. Crater Lake
2. Bend....many breweries.
3. Waterfalls....take your pick of a bunch.
4. Oregon Coast....take your pick.
5. Portland....strip club capital of the USA. Take your pick.
6. Crater Lake
7. The Gorge is ok.
8. I have heard Voodoo Donuts is good.....but then again, I havent been there.
9. Mt. Hood.

Good luck...and let us know what you liked!

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
Multinomah Falls is great. Eugene is a fun summer town as well. If your in Portland try to hit up a Portland Timbers game. Incredible sports atmosphere.

I know this is fairly last minute, but thought I'd ask this worldly group anyway. We're heading to Oregon July 4 (third time in 3 years, but mostly have been visiting relatives and them driving us around.) What should we see/where should we go July 5-7 around the Portland to The Dalles area?
Also, any recommendations for coastal must-visit locations or anywhere else in the valley?

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
My grandparents live in Florence. It is such a beautiful place along the coast. That's where the dunes start and there is also Haveta Head lighthouse and cove. All the coastal towns are awesome in their own little way.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.

The hipsters in Portland are a must-see.

You could also swing by Eugene and see if they'll pay you to play football.