My Analysis(As worthless as it seems)

rstro

Dec 10, 2009
I am going to start this off by saying I am in no way an expert. I have played basketball my whole life, but I do not claim any superior knowledge to anyone on this board, however, this is what I believe has happened under McDermott.

During McDermott's first year or two, I think he believed that he could win with one or two good players (Brackins, Wesley) surrounded by mid major type players (Eikmeier, etc.). However, I believe that McDermott figured out that this simply will not work in the Big XII. There are too many athletes to make winning like this possible.

Because of this, McDermott went out to try and find athletes to fill these complemetary roles with Brackins. However, because of Brackins immense talent (ie leaving early) and his seat getting a little warm, McDermott went out and got athletes that were talented albeit with some other issues. (the whole duke debacle that is being hashed out in another thread.)

I am going to go ahead and put this out here. I think McDermott has it figured out. McDermott, I believe, has altered the recruiting strategy he had when he first got here significantly. Instead of recruiting mid major role players (Eikmeier, Vette, etc.), he has started to recruit athletes that he can develop into great basketball players by the time they are juniors and seniors to pair with one or two big time players. I believe there is evidence of that by his recruitment of Antwon Oliver (tremendous athlete with huge upside and nice shot, but needs more weight) and his recruitment of Elgin Cook.

Now here is the problem. McDermott has figured this out in year 4. His political capital, so to say, is running out. Brackins will be gone and he will be left with impatient fans and possibly an impatient administration. And even worse, he may not have the sway he once had with some of the big time players. I love Coach Mac as a person and I think he is a great coach. However, I believe his recruiting strategy has significantly hurt him. He has become quite reactionary in his recruiting, due to his seat being a little warm. This is clearly evident by the influx of jucos.

I think Coach Mac has it figured out, and I would really like to see what he does in the next couple recruiting classes before anything is done with Coach Mac. Many great coaches struggled early in their careers and made mistakes (Bill Bellichek, Steve alford) I believe Coach Mac is worth the wait to allow him time to work things out.

Sorry for the length and let the hating begin!

Reactions: dbronco7sc

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
You're right you are no expert. Just kidding , I had to say it 1st before somebody starts into you.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
You make a decent argument, but I'm not willing to wait two, maybe three, more years to find out IF he has figured it out. There's no guarantee and it's four years in already.
Also, if you tell me your analysis is worthless in the title, I come into it looking to bash.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
He seems to be getting quality basketball players now. The problem is turning those 12-15 guys into a team. They can from different parts of the country and different backgrounds. Hopefully being stuck in Chicago as a "team" is just what they needed.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
He seems to be getting quality basketball players now. The problem is turning those 12-15 guys into a team. They can from different parts of the country and different backgrounds. Hopefully being stuck in Chicago as a "team" is just what they needed.
He should make them carry beams on their shoulders and duck walk through snow ala Rocky V.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
McDermott has been a half court coach his whole life. He is trying to learn the up and down game on the fly. Seems like he is emphasizing transition offense a lot more than defense and rebounding.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
McDermott has been a half court coach his whole life. He is trying to learn the up and down game on the fly. Seems like he is emphasizing transition offense a lot more than defense and rebounding.

Not the case, although it does seem that way. Our problem is rebounding from the guard position. Defense is definitely struggling too.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
You make a decent argument, but I'm not willing to wait two, maybe three, more years to find out IF he has figured it out. There's no guarantee and it's four years in already.
Also, if you tell me your analysis is worthless in the title, I come into it looking to bash.[/QUOTE]

Because you're a ****:jimlad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GeronimusClone

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I opened the thread and realized you put a lot of time and effort into what you were writing. Then I realized I don't have that much time nor do I want to put the effort into reading. So I will just say. Good Job man. Good Job.

Reactions: Cydkar

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I opened the thread and realized you put a lot of time and effort into what you were writing. Then I realized I don't have that much time nor do I want to put the effort into reading. So I will just say. Good Job man. Good Job.

Haha...I read this one, but that goes through my head a lot with the long drawn out posts.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Also, if you tell me your analysis is worthless in the title, I come into it looking to bash.[/QUOTE]

Because you're a ****:jimlad:
lol we all know this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Rebounding and free throw mistakes are inexcusable. Having said that I think there is something that is a little underrated with this team. Craig and DG are the only ones that have played together for a significant wmount of time. You may say that there are a lot of teams with underclassmen that haven't played together much that are Successful. OK, well we don't have that type of talent. Right now, we have 2 NBA guys that are together for the first time. Colvin may be an NBA guy, however he is just a freshman. This team seems to be a mix and match to me. A bunch of guys from different backgrounds and different types of games thrown onto a team. That is on Mac, no doubt. He has to get athletes that can play a similar type of game. Look at Mizzou last year. Not a ton of polished talent however they all could hustle and play in sheer chaos which was what made them a good team. That and they had played together for awhile.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
While it stinks, I'm willing to give GMac another 3yrs or so before I would jump ship. Once he gets it figured out, it will remain for a long time IMO.

Better bet than the unknown of a new coach.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Coach macs recruiting is fine. In order to be in the big 12 you need athletes and he went out and got a few. Its the coaching of these athletes that hurts him. I also think his offense blows and that frustrates players as well. Also, im so sick of his man to man defense that i wish we could just go to a 2-3 zone or a 3-2 zone or a fricken 1-3-1 zone and say screw it.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Coach macs recruiting is fine. In order to be in the big 12 you need athletes and he went out and got a few. Its the coaching of these athletes that hurts him. I also think his offense blows and that frustrates players as well. Also, im so sick of his man to man defense that i wish we could just go to a 2-3 zone or a 3-2 zone or a fricken 1-3-1 zone and say screw it.

Zone crossed my mind...went to it one possesion during the Duke game.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
While it stinks, I'm willing to give GMac another 3yrs or so before I would jump ship. Once he gets it figured out, it will remain for a long time IMO.

Better bet than the unknown of a new coach.

I am a betting man. As a betting man you have to play the odds.

Based on the recent past history of ISU basketball that last statement is simply incorrect. The better bet would be the new coach.

I assume all of you who believe we should give Gmac 7 years to figure this out were all for giving Morgan 4 more years as well? Or maybe 6 more years, considering he had much more sucess early on in his tenure as head coach?

Nothing against Gmac, I am just trying to understand where this double standard comes from. A moderately successful coach deserved to be canned after one poor season, but an unsuccessful coach deserves 7 years? I would love an explanation.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
Zone crossed my mind...went to it one possesion during the Duke game.

Yea. I forget if it worked or not but i remember the shot clock was winding down. Its just scary to think what pittman and the rest of the big 12 post players are going to do to us if we dont try something new.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yea. I forget if it worked or not but i remember the shot clock was winding down. Its just scary to think what pittman and the rest of the big 12 post players are going to do to us if we dont try something new.

Duke scored...Pittman in the game, Ham is in the game...We live with the rest.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Also, if you tell me your analysis is worthless in the title, I come into it looking to bash.

I agree with you!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron