ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Sup guys...

I bought some variety packs this morning and have been sitting in my man cave watching football all afternoon. Thought I'd chronicle my journey of trying fall beers - my favorite season - over the next few months. This could be fun if we all do it and give each other feedback.

First of all, I had the Exile Oktoberfest a few weeks ago and was blown away. I've never been a big Exile guy (although I like Hannah quite a bit) but this was at the time, the best Octoberfest I had ever tried.

Then yesterday I had the new one from Confluence...Damn. Tough to beat that.

So today, I tried the Goose Island Autumn Ale and really liked it. Now, I'm sipping on a Boulevard Funky Pumpkin Spiced Sour Ale. It's...well...very interesting. I do like it though. The sour is very, very real. Not sure how many of these I could have in a row.

My plan is to keep updating this just for fun. Feel free to comment with thoughts of your own if you'd like.

Go Clones!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Only one I have tried is the Funky Pumpkin. It was too . . . funky for me. Had husband finish it, he will drinking anything.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I have a Wisconsin bias. I like Leine's Oktoberfest. I'm actually going to the store soon to pick up some New Glarus Staghorn, which is there Oktoberfest. Their Pumpkin Pie Lust is okay, I like pumpkin stuff, but it's not my first choice. Want to try Point's Oktoberfest and other WI ones. Also want to try Hofbräu Oktoberfestbier.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Since my wife and I went up to Kennebunkport, ME for our honeymoon two years ago, I always love a good Pumpkinhead by Shipyard. I just picked up a 12er this afternoon! Might have to crack one open bc of you CDub

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Am I the only one not in to pumpkin beers? I'd rather start dipping in to stouts.

the ol ball in chain loves leinie pumpkin shandy. white girls

What is it about leinie shandy that the ladies love so much? Mine isnt really a beer fan but she'll drink summer shandy like water.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Blum brought over the Shock Top seasonal package last night. I tried all three. The Pretzel Wheat was fantastic. I wasn't expecting much but it was really, really good.

Other than that, the apple and pumpkins were below average in my opinion. I'm not a huge Shock Top guy to begin with so that probably had something to do with it.

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
I'm not a big pumpkin fan, though I'll drink anything if its free. Winter is more of a whiskey time for me.

I do like the Exile beers, so I'll give their Oktoberfest a try.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Had Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, pretty solid.

Really been the only fall beer I've had so far. Need to go stock up.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I used to homebrew, but for the last 5 years, I've been working 2nd shift, so I never wanted to give up a Saturday morning with the rare time our whole family (whether that be 2, 3, or now 4 of us over that 5 years), but I'm going to be going back to first shift starting in a few weeks, so I am thinking of getting back into it.

Also went thru the old stash I had squirrelled away, found about 7-8 cases, so I thought I should sample it and dump it if it had gone bad. So far, only had one go sour, and a couple that weren't sealed well, but other than that, it's all still been really good. So I've been touring the world of my old homebrew days...homemade hard ciders, Schwarzbier, a Leffe Blonde clone, a "sweet tea ale" that I made up, and I still have a few of my special Bourbon Barrell Porters and Breakfast Stouts.

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
I'm not much of a pumpkin beer fan, but of the 6 I've tried this fall, the only one that I thought was really good was Wasatch's Black O'Lantern Pumpkin Stout.

As for Oktoberfest beers, Ayinger and Hofbrau are my favorites. But Sierra Nevada's offering this year is also excellent - it's crisper and lighter in color than most Oktoberfests. I guess SN collaborates with a different German brewery each year to produce a unique brew.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Blum brought over the Shock Top seasonal package last night. I tried all three. The Pretzel Wheat was fantastic. I wasn't expecting much but it was really, really good.

Other than that, the apple and pumpkins were below average in my opinion. I'm not a huge Shock Top guy to begin with so that probably had something to do with it.

Shock Top Pumpkin is the worst one I've had.