"Mystery" JUCO QB is Jacob Park

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Lanning is playing cornhole with Mttt lauer, savanah guthrie and some hawkeye linebacker on the Today show right now

and lost! take away his scholly!

Last edited:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Absolutely love the idea of picking up Jacob Park. 3 years to play 3. Let the competition begin. No one's spot is secure.

I was disappointed in Tribune's play at CB last year. Hope the players we have added means better results this coming year.

While I think Lanning showed a lot of potential last year, I agree that when a team wins 2-3-4 games, the next year nobody's job should be guaranteed. That is unless that person ran for 1,300+ yards as a freshman.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm torn between really liking Lanning and saying he's not the guy. There were just too many times he skipped the ball to the receiver. That's not a not knowing the playbook problem, that's a mechanics or confidence problem.

I want Lanning to succeed, but if ISU has a chance to sign a guy like this then they need to do that without question. Always recruit someone you think can give the starter at that position a run for playing time.

Not including the last game (when the whole team appeared to just want to get the season over) I thought Lanning played better than expected considering he got hardly any snaps at qb before being handed the job. Yes he bounced some (which is usually better than missing high), but he threw a lot of great passes too. But I agree, competition will only make everybody better and Lanning is definitely a kid that could help the team in other ways if he gets beat out.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I take it this kid is not very good. Reminds me of when KU tried getting a couple former 4 star QBs without a home. And that is all they were; former 4 star QBs who were overrated in HS and couldn't cut in college. But I don't blame them for giving him a chance bc they need somebody if Lanning doesn't work out

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Lanning is playing cornhole with Mttt lauer, savanah guthrie and some hawkeye linebacker on the Today show right now

and lost! take away his scholly!

What? Why isn't Iowa State announcing this and making a big deal out of Lanning, a starting QB, being on national TV?

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Year after year, Iowa State has lacked a play maker at QB in a league filled with big time QBs. I really like Lanning and I think he has the potential to be special, but I also like that the staff is going to make him earn it. Adding Park and Kepmt to the roster gives Lanning some real competition in the form of older guys that showed potential coming out of high school. For our team to be successful, we need a really good QB. Hopefully one of these guys is him.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I take it this kid is not very good. Reminds me of when KU tried getting a couple former 4 star QBs without a home. And that is all they were; former 4 star QBs who were overrated in HS and couldn't cut in college. But I don't blame them for giving him a chance bc they need somebody if Lanning doesn't work out

So you think Alabama, Georgia, TCU, Texas, Notre Dame, and many others all are bad judges of talent? They don't recruit based on Rivals rankings.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
So you think Alabama, Georgia, TCU, Texas, Notre Dame, and many others all are bad judges of talent? They don't recruit based on Rivals rankings.

There are guys that teams miss on all the time especially QBs. Those offers were from high school. He left Georgia and those schools didn't come calling or he would be there. He didn't even play last year. Some kids look great in camps but turn out to be duds. Go look at past 4 star QBs from the last five years. There will be really good players. Ok ones and then there will be guys that you have never heard of.

Jake Heaps was the number 1 QB recruit in 2010 and Dayne Crist was the number 2 QB recruit in the class of 2008. They ended up at KU after they couldn't cut it at other schools and just tore it up at KU bc of who offered them in High School.... Oh wait they sucked. Never mind. And those were guys that actually played at their former schools.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There are guys that teams miss on all the time especially QBs. Those offers were from high school. He left Georgia and those schools didn't come calling or he would be there. He didn't even play last year. Some kids look great in camps but turn out to be duds. Go look at past 4 star QBs from the last five years. There will be really good players. Ok ones and then there will be guys that you have never heard of.

Jake Heaps was the number 1 QB recruit in 2010 and Dayne Crist was the number 2 QB recruit in the class of 2008. They ended up at KU after they couldn't cut it at other schools and just tore it up at KU bc of who offered them in High School.... Oh wait they sucked. Never mind. And those were guys that actually played at their former schools.

TCU and Texas came calling after he left Georgia. But he went Juco instead.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

"Because these two people in the past were bad, this guy will be bad as well."

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
A few good passes isn't nearly enough. We need a QB who's a consistent threat to throw.

I don't think it would be 100% fair to judge Lanning wholly on his performance in last year's offense. He's a solid quarterback, I think solid enough to run Campbell's offense fluently. Whom is best in 2016, anyone's guess. I just think it's beyond premature to make a judgement on the depth chart in February 2016. There is a lot of space between now and when footballs start flying in fall camp.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't see how anyone couldn't be excited for someone like this to come to campus. He either beats out Lanning, and is our starting QB. Or he doesn't, and we're no worse off than we were last year at this time . . . :twitcy: