NSCR: NASCAR 2023 discussion

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Haven’t watched the entire race, but not overly exciting. Tough to pass with this set up
It’s been super exciting with lead changes and position changes with wrecks and spin outs. I’m really enjoying this street race. Hope they do it again next year.

• Agree
Reactions: LSGOST8 and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The single file start worked great for the new guy. Good race. IMO

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The guy had to learn to shift with the opposite hand that had to be a challenge.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I live 2 blocks from the course and the noise of these engines bouncing off buildings is crazy hard to describe

I'm so jealous of you getting to live in Chicago!

I recall watching 4th of July fireworks in Grant Park. The echoing off the Michigan Avenue buildings was sensory overload!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This was one of the better races this year. I thought this street race was a terrible idea by nascar but I was wrong. The next gen handled the track pretty well
Can't believe it worked so well. Even with rain. Love having the Chicago downtown in the background, especially the Hilton, CTA buses and cars on Michigan Avenue and the Wabash L-train.

Reactions: LSGOST8

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Way better than your typical oval race. IMO.
Road/street races are starting to grow on me. The speed obviously isn’t there like big oval tracks, but I love the drama that comes with these kind of tracks

Reactions: NWICY

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I had the sound down for most of the parts that I saw on TV, so I didn't hear the commentary. Why was the winner so much faster than the others at the end? Was it equipment? Driving skill? He looked like he was just toying with the rest of the field.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I had the sound down for most of the parts that I saw on TV, so I didn't hear the commentary. Why was the winner so much faster than the others at the end? Was it equipment? Driving skill? He looked like he was just toying with the rest of the field.

I would guess combination of car setup, pit strategy, and how he managed the wear on his tires.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyrealist and NWICY

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
He’s a New Zealander who races V8 Supercars full time in Australia. Those are basically NASCARs for Austrailia, but they do a lot more road and street courses than NASCAR, so some of it was driver skill. He’s used to throwing those big (big for road race cars) cars around tight corners.

Reactions: 0u812

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

New tires was the claim 16 less laps on them. He worked his way up all race though so who knows.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He’s a New Zealander who races V8 Supercars full time in Australia. Those are basically NASCARs for Austrailia, but they do a lot more road and street courses than NASCAR, so some of it was driver skill. He’s used to throwing those big (big for road race cars) cars around tight corners.

Seems like some of the other teams need to spend some serious time in the film room watching what he does. He made the passing seem so easy. And even when he got passed, he immediately passed back.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
He seemed to know how fast to run each section whereas the other drivers just went all gas all brakes all the way around.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I would guess combination of car setup, pit strategy, and how he managed the wear on his tires.
NASCAR shortened the race after most teams had settled on a pit strategy. Many of the faster cars were stuck behind the Harvick wreck that blocked the track. The winner had better tires and was a better driver for the type of race than most that he was racing at the end. It was still a heck of a drive and a great accomplishment. He got some breaks but it didn't just fall in his lap.