National Coordinator of Officials Steve Shaw says FG in Ohio game was "no good"

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Look at the video from behind the official, which he actually pauses at one point. That's a much better angle than the one from the front that caused all the controversy. It is fairly close to the angle that the official would have. It would appear from this angle that the ball is, indeed, right above the upright extended, which by rule, means it's no good. These were, by the way, B12 officials, not MAC officials. This was no "four yard line safety" which we had called against us a few years ago! ;-)
You're new here. The highlighted fact actually makes it far LESS likely for this fan base to expect a call to go our way. Good luck going forward!

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
You're new here. The highlighted fact actually makes it far LESS likely for this fan base to expect a call to go our way. Good luck going forward!
I was thinking the same thing. MAC officials would have called it correctly.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I was thinking the same thing. MAC officials would have called it correctly.
At the very least they aren't bound by the sworn oath to overtly bungle calls against us every week like the B12 refs. It was the very clear waived off targeting call against Okie State, which has to be getting close to a winning Bad Call BINGO hand for those of you playing at home.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If we eventually found out this was lakesbison, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised.
My reaction to Lakebison's name being mentioned:
kid-shudder.gif

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
If the premise is wrong, the conclusion is wrong. I still contend the mere 'steps' of the official (even on the 'their' replay) will change the perspective of the ball. I think their pre-snap location rules should change to have them align from where the kick is (similar to punting). Let's look at this another way to make my point. It's the same science as in billiards. Do the rules compensate from the hashmarks vs the center of the field. They 'should' because the angle makes the difference between the posts smaller. College posts are commonly 5 9/16" diameter. Kicking from the hashmark, that takes (roughly) 2" off the 7" wide football. That's roughly 25% of the width. IMO, that's a lot. Certainly worth the simple rule change to align the refs.

That said, I'm surprised it's got to pass cleanly 'between' the uprights when the kick is higher than the upright. However, I'm not sure how they can set up the rule otherwise.

thinking-calculations.gif

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Lol, cmon man. If our dumb coach would have opened things up like he did this week, ISU would have won by 14 minimum. He was too stubborn and took the L instead. A good offense would cook that Ohio team. An embarrassing loss.
Couldn’t show too much before the B12 schedule starts, you know. Gotta play things conservative and close to the vest for the preseason exhibition games, they don’t count anyway, right?

Whats that? They do count? Somebody better tell CMC …

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
Looked like the ball pass right over the top of the upright. I could've swore I had seen another game where this happened and the rule explained was if it goes perfectly over the upright its good. Google says as long as no part of the ball goes over the outside edge it's good. I'd like to believe the NCAA official knows the rule but also wouldn't be shocked if he's wrong

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I’ve always felt it was no good.

And…. it wouldn’t have mattered anyway…. the better team won that day. We were awful and didn’t deserve to win.
I thought it was good, but also feel we would have lost in OT with the way we were playing. Did not deserve that one, like you said.

Reactions: Frak

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron