National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I was just thinking about this: Imo the OG 'Vacation' (1983) might be the best 'Vacation'-y movie in how loose and random it is.

But Christmas Vacation is the better overall film. John Hughes didn't direct it but was a writer and producer and it has a lot of 'Hughes'-ness feel in how it's done that makes it more memorable.
Gotta disagree. Christmas Vacation is funny as hell, but it has a lot more plot holes and suspension of disbelief than the OG Vacation.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
What age is it appropriate for a child to watch this with their father….?

Asking for a friend.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
This scene has a few good ones in it. Eddie breaking the light bulbs, rearranging his junk.

I've seen this scene a zillion times and I never noticed him rearranging his junk. Now I can't unsee him doing that.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It took me forever to realize why the “something real nice” part was so funny - it was after Clark said he’d buy gifts so the nice gift for himself was on his dime

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Any age. There are a lot of adult themed jokes, but a kid won’t understand the context. A handful of swear words and one finger gesture.

I’d be fine with any aged child watching it, personally.
I’m a father of 2 boys and 2 girls with the oldest child being a 10yo girl.

Maybe l’m still too naive to think I can raise a princess, but I feel there are too many cringe moments for her. I would for sure be uncomfortable with the scene of clark daydreaming about the pool and her swimming suit hits the window.

I fully admit there are plenty of “hidden” or adult humor moments. I know she would LOL at the scene of Clark going off on his family and asking for the Tylenol.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
This scene has a few good ones in it. Eddie breaking the light bulbs, rearranging his junk.

I also like how it gives you a nostalgic look at late ‘80’s Walmart. They had that “Made in America” campaign at the time plastered on everything.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Pretty sure he's Bill Murray's brother. He's in a lot of movies with smaller roles - Caddyshack, Groundhogs Day a few that come to mind.
He is! He’s got some of my favorite lines in a couple of those movies.

“Don’t forget that report, Bill.” (Christmas vacation)

“Your honor, your honor. Heh.” (Caddy shack)

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Any age. There are a lot of adult themed jokes, but a kid won’t understand the context. A handful of swear words and one finger gesture.

The TV version cleans a lot of the bad parts out but leaves enough for the adults to enjoy it. We all know the scenes we like already.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So when I moved to LA I got a job with the studios. I am one of the guys who climbed the roof and put on lights and took them off after shooting was done

Also if you look at the Griswald neighborhood, you will notice it is same as Danny Glover neighborhood in Lethal Weapon.

It was shot on Warner Brothers backlot

ChiClone17

Sep 2, 2016

I always wondered how they screwed up the geography so badly in this scene. Eddie is from Kansas, and the Griswolds live in a suburb just north of Chicago. But Eddie says, “Gas money give out in Gurnee” while describing their trip in. Gurnee is way north of where the Griswolds live. There would’ve been no reason for Eddie to drive through Gurnee.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I always wondered how they screwed up the geography so badly in this scene. Eddie is from Kansas, and the Griswolds live in a suburb just north of Chicago. But Eddie says, “Gas money give out in Gurnee” while describing their trip in. Gurnee is way north of where the Griswolds live. There would’ve been no reason for Eddie to drive through Gurnee.
How about when they’re driving through the rugged mountains of eastern Illinois to get their Xmas tree?

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Easily enough explained. Eddie has a metal plate in his head and this was pre-GPS days.

An RV like his had to have a dashboard compass. The metal plate interfered with the compass.

Plot hole solved.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Easily enough explained. Eddie has a metal plate in his head and this was pre-GPS days.

An RV like his had to have a dashboard compass. The metal plate interfered with the compass.

Plot hole solved.
Yeah, plus they had driving around for awhile in that thing. It’s never stated that they were taking the direct path from Kansas to Chicago.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

If your kids ride the bus to school, there’s nothing in this that’s going to be shocking to them.

I think I saw the OG vacation at maybe 10. My parents were big fans and figured exposing me to such great art was important.