NCAA BASKETBALL CORRUPTION SCHEME

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
The NCAA is going to sit back and hope they aren't investigated too.

I'm not sure if they are going to sit back, but I definitely agree they are going to be sweating just as much as the schools at the thought of the FBI investigating them. I doubt they are an entirely clean organization. Hell, I think the guy Alabama fired yesterday used to work in the NCAA compliance office.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad and aauummm

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I swear folks don't understand that the Penn State case is completely different than this. Read through the NCAA bylaws and you see an absolute ton of stuff pertaining to pay to play currently going down in MBB. Whereas they were operating in much murkier territory when it comes to Penn State. Just not any firm bylaws you can point to that say this is where we have them.
Yes, that's the point. Without the NCAA, in particular their bylaws, the FBI evidence won't punish the programs much past the coaches that are actually arrested and charged.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I'm not sure if they are going to sit back, but I definitely agree they are going to be sweating just as much as the schools at the thought of the FBI investigating them. I doubt they are an entirely clean organization. Hell, I think the guy Alabama fired yesterday used to work in the NCAA compliance office.

You are correct, I saw that too on the Bama staffer being formerly w NCAA.

They won't sit back, I more see it as the NCAA is the last thing these coaches and those involved are worried about.

We'll likely see a rash of players ruled ineligible or suspended by the schools but no NCAA death penalty. It's gonna be a wild trip and nothing like we've seen before.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
To clean up the sleazy AAU system, any chance the FBI will go after (or threaten to go after) the AAU circuits (or maybe even the shoe companies) for Racketeering?

Per Wikipedia "Under RICO, a person who has committed "at least two acts of racketeering activity" drawn from a list of 35 crimes—27 federal crimes and 8 state crimes—within a 10-year period can be charged with racketeering "

Bribery and fraud are 2 of the 35 crimes. If the FBI gets a few witnesses or a paper trail that shows that its not just a few rogue employees at Nike, Addidas, etc acting without company knowledge it could get more interesting.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
To clean up the sleazy AAU system, any chance the FBI will go after (or threaten to go after) the AAU circuits (or maybe even the shoe companies) for Racketeering?

Per Wikipedia "Under RICO, a person who has committed "at least two acts of racketeering activity" drawn from a list of 35 crimes—27 federal crimes and 8 state crimes—within a 10-year period can be charged with racketeering "

Bribery and fraud are 2 of the 35 crimes. If the FBI gets a few witnesses or a paper trail that shows that its not just a few rogue employees at Nike, Addidas, etc acting without company knowledge it could get more interesting.

Yes, now you see a good example of how this could expand and impact college bball as we know it.

This is lot of money being shuffled around, it had to come from somewhere. Gonna be hard for sneaker company CFO and CEO's to claim ignorance.

How much would the coaching landscape change if the shoe companies stopped chipping in for coaches salaries and it's only what school A, B or C can pay.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Per Wikipedia "Under RICO, a person who has committed "at least two acts of racketeering activity:
Is he your brother?
latest

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Yes, now you see a good example of how this could expand and impact college bball as we know it.

This is lot of money being shuffled around, it had to come from somewhere. Gonna be hard for sneaker company CFO and CEO's to claim ignorance.

How much would the coaching landscape change if the shoe companies stopped chipping in for coaches salaries and it's only what school A, B or C can pay.

Yep. How does that work for Adidas rep? "Hey, Janice. I need $100k from petty cash. Large bills please."

upload_2017-9-28_16-32-5.jpeg

There will have to be some heads rolling at Adidas and Nike.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Question - if a team plays a guy who is later deemed ineligible and the school did NOT know of the issue (taking money from booster), is the school still at risk for playing an ineligible player?

I THINK so but am not close to being sure if so...
Depends. Are they Duke? Then no.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/apr/02/sports/sp-ncaa2

Myron Piggie gave cash to a kid that went to UCLA and a kid that went to Duke. Only UCLA was punished. Duke won the national title that season.

Reactions: isutrevman

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Question - if a team plays a guy who is later deemed ineligible and the school did NOT know of the issue (taking money from booster), is the school still at risk for playing an ineligible player?

I THINK so but am not close to being sure if so...

Reggie Bush??? Different sport and I'm not sure if USC did or didn't know. I thought it was an agent that was paying him?

But USC vacated a national championship because of his ineligibility.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So there was a comment on the radio last night that was interesting. With Adidas and Nike being publically traded companies, fake POs to funnel money to individuals might end up being the more important investigation. I guess if you clean up the shoe companies it would go a long way to clean up the NCAA indirectly.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
You are correct, I saw that too on the Bama staffer being formerly w NCAA.

They won't sit back, I more see it as the NCAA is the last thing these coaches and those involved are worried about.

We'll likely see a rash of players ruled ineligible or suspended by the schools but no NCAA death penalty. It's gonna be a wild trip and nothing like we've seen before.

Louisville is (as of now) the only school that would be up for the death penalty as their basketball program was already on probation when this happened.

But some of these athletic departments (and universities?) should be concerned that the FBI may be building a RICO case against them as they were essentially in the business of organized crime. If something like that happens, it may not be up to the NCAA about the death penalty for a program.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
All this is telling me is that they need to take sponsorships out of the college game. It's so unfortunate that college athletics is all about money and not about being a student-athlete. I'm so glad that the FBI has gotten involved cus I wanna see who has the best recruiters rather than who can be the highest bidder. I'm so glad Pitino is gone and I really hope that dirty coach in Lexington is found to be even dirtier so that he can never coach college ball again.