NCAA Men's Volleyball Championship

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
TBH, I prefer women’s tennis and VB because of the longer rallies compared to the men.
That's cool. Different strokes for different folks. I guess I have equal interest in women's and men's volleyball. For tennis, I would say I am slightly more interested in men's tennis.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I didn't know the championship is tonight until about an hour ago, seeing a commercial during the women's beach volleyball tournament. I'll be watching.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I didn't know the championship is tonight until about an hour ago, seeing a commercial during the women's beach volleyball tournament. I'll be watching.
Cool... ...There's been some Tweets about how the NCAA hasn't promoted men's vball enough on their web page which is probably true.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Cool... ...There's been some Tweets about how the NCAA hasn't promoted men's vball enough on their web page which is probably true.
I don't know about their web page, but I don't see any promotion about men's volleyball whatsoever, which is a shame in my opinion.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I don't know about their web page, but I don't see any promotion about men's volleyball whatsoever, which is a shame in my opinion.
The semis were streamed on NCAA.com so ESPN was only invested into today's match.They could still promote today's match on it's own, but who knows what goes into their decision to promote or not promote?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The semis were streamed on NCAA.com so ESPN was only invested into today's match.They could still promote today's match on it's own, but who knows what goes into their decision to promote or not promote?

SEC or B1G FB promote, SEC or B1G other sports promote, blue blood in MBB &WBB promote. the rest don't promote.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
SEC or B1G FB promote, SEC or B1G other sports promote, blue blood in MBB &WBB promote. the rest don't promote.
I agree that capital "P" promotion is mostly reserved for the big girls and boys, but ESPN does advertisements for upcoming events like the the Women's basketball tourney or the WCWS or the MCWS.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Hawaii winning in a sweep was a bit of a surprise, but they won the serve/receive battle which will usually win you the match.
No blowout set wins so they won "in the margins" like CMC tries to do with the Clones :) They kind of had to do that against a team like Long Beach State.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
No blowout set wins so they won "in the margins" like CMC tries to do with the Clones :) They kind of had to do that against a team like Long Beach State.
Nikolov had a great game but nobody else for Beach could step up. Maybe that was the plan for Hawaii. If so, they executed it to perfection.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

It’s not off-season. Beach Volleyball is an NCAA-sanctioned sport with officially recognized NCAA national championships.
We have to hear it all the time when we complain that women’s sports are marginalized. You want men’s volleyball promoted? Build the following and the television advertisers will come running.

Reactions: Acylum

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The championships with the least amount of promotion also seem to be the ones with the fewest amount of teams offering the sport.

Men's gymnastics has 13 teams total (12 in D-1). Their championship was the same weekend as women's gymnastics. Guessing nobody other than diehards knew.

Women's bowling has 35 D-1 teams. Their championship was the same weekend as WGYM and MGYM. Only the final round aired, on ESPNU.

Men's volleyball has 26 D-1 teams.

• Informative
Reactions: harimad and Acylum

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
It’s not off-season. Beach Volleyball is an NCAA-sanctioned sport with officially recognized NCAA national championships.
We have to hear it all the time when we complain that women’s sports are marginalized. You want men’s volleyball promoted? Build the following and the television advertisers will come running.
They are talking about indoor women's volleyball being covered during the off season.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
It would be easier to build a following if boys/men's volleyball was sponsored by a lot more high schools/ colleges.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
The championships with the least amount of promotion also seem to be the ones with the fewest amount of teams offering the sport.

Men's gymnastics has 13 teams total (12 in D-1). Their championship was the same weekend as women's gymnastics. Guessing nobody other than diehards knew.

Women's bowling has 35 D-1 teams. Their championship was the same weekend as WGYM and MGYM. Only the final round aired, on ESPNU.

Men's volleyball has 26 D-1 teams.
Division 1 and 2 are combined for the men's volleyball championship to make 55 teams.

Last edited: