NCAA / NIT Idea

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think combination of 2 is what makes it so great. Power 5 vs a Cinderella. When you get the rare 2 Cinderellas playing each other late in tournament those games seem to have less hype. There was some really teams to miss the dance this year. St John's, Pittsburgh, and Indiana State would of been really dangerous teams in particular in my opinion.

Going to 96 or 128 is absurd and shouldn't even be entertained but I wouldn't mind a smaller expansion. Maybe 72 or 76. Start this opening round a little earlier in day add 1 to 2 games. I'd watch

Yeah I agree. If expansion does in fact happen, it needs to be like 2 rounds of play ins. Keep the original 64 team format, it's perfect. Essentially you would need to start the tournament a week later.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
They should go the complete opposite direction, with bids only going to every conference regular season and tournament champions and filling out the rest of the field/seed the tournament by highest NET. Everyone would schedule heavy in the non conference for NET purposes, the regular season and tournaments would mean everything to everyone, and the committee could be taken out into the street and shot.
You cant really award a bid to regular season champions anymore because of how unbalanced some of these schedules have become in conference play.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
While I think declining the NIT is stupid, it's the schools choice. And quite frankly I think it'll hurt them in the short and long run.

Why would you want to play for a coach or school that declined? They are just being a baby.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Meld the regular season and the tourney and make it a complete year event. They practically do it when they're handing out bids and games against lesser talent early in the season matters in seeding. Conferences the way they're set up sucks the way they're doing it. Schedule a bunch of regional games to start season so fanbases can enjoy the games. Take the top teams out of each region to advance into the next leg of the season. Make it a tourney format if they want. Let these teams progress out of the region they're actually located. ISU playing games against UNI, Drake, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Moorehead, UMKC, Neb..that sort of thing. Take the top eight out of each region and have 8 regions across the country. That gives you 64 pretty close to what they have now. I understand the scheduling aspect, but this format could be done. I like the idea of flex scheduling.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
This grumpy old man says take the NCAA tournament back to 64 teams.

Yes, but I do like the added Bubble Teams playing in for a 10-12 seed. I say make the first four a first 8, expand to 72, but all the play-in games are for the last at large spots. Stop punishing the smaller schools, let them play the 1 and 2 seeds. We probably won't see as many 15 and 16 over 1 as have been happening lately, but more people would be interested in the first 8 games as it really is bubble busting games.

Reactions: cyclones500

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Why are schools declining the NIT?
Some of it is the transfer portal opened on Monday so teams have players going into the portal so they wouldn't be eligible to play. Wait until the Tuesday after the championship game would probably help so I assume the NCAA will do the opposite.

Reactions: mywayorcyway

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Yes, but I do like the added Bubble Teams playing in for a 10-12 seed. I say make the first four a first 8, expand to 72, but all the play-in games are for the last at large spots. Stop punishing the smaller schools, let them play the 1 and 2 seeds. We probably won't see as many 15 and 16 over 1 as have been happening lately, but more people would be interested in the first 8 games as it really is bubble busting games.
I would prefer 68 over any expansion or changes, but if a change must be made I would prefer it the way you stated it. Since the play-in games were introduced I felt like the 16 seeds who lose in the play-in game don't feel to me like they were "in the tournament". I'm guessing they feel similarly. They won their conference tournament, they should be the real deal.

"Remember that time we lost to Morehead State by 2 in Dayton" doesn't have the same feel as "remember the time we made the NCAA and North Carolina beat us by 18!"

Reactions: CycloneEggie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Don't mess with the tournament and ditch the NIT. Not everyone deserves post-season play, and with the way the transfer portal has changed it I can see not wanting to mess with the NIT and to start focusing on next year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How about a tournament for all the AQ's from non P-5 prior to the NCAA Tournament to determine seeds 14-16 in each region? That would leave more spots open for the P-5 and sure, some AQ's from the non P-5 wouldn't make it into the final bracket, but it would make for better competition.

This year teams like Drake, Gonzaga, and St Mary's would be 14 seeds. Think about THAT. In this hypothetical, the 1-seeds get a first round bye.

• Dislike
Reactions: CycloneEggie

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How about we just eliminate P6 schools from the NIT? If you can’t get in the NCAA with all the advantages you have, your season should be done. Make the NIT a chance for the lower level schools to continue playing because the NCAA is catering to the P6 anyways.