NCAA Seeding Discussion

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Ok, so we auto-qualify 8 to the NCAAs. Feldkamp will need an at-large to make it 9. I think he’ll get one, but we have no chance at 197.

I believe, at larges are scheduled to be announced tomorrow, 3/12, with brackets being announced Wednesday, 3/13.

The two I’ll be real curious about are Carr and Yonger.

Carr and Ramirez are basically tied from a matrix perspective, with Ramirez holding the head-2-head. Could Carr be the 4 seed? Quite possible.

Who will be the 1 seed at 285? Bastida or Kerkvliet?

Kerkvliet is 15-0 with 73.3% bonus. His best win doesn’t technically count (TF’s Hendrickson in the All-Star event). After that, he has beaten Feldman twice, Davidson, Taylor twice and Slavikouski.

Bastida is 24-0 with 70.8% bonus. He has beaten Hendrickson, Schultz, Elam twice, Feldman, Davidson, Heindselman, Doucet and Pitzer.

Bastida’s quality win metric blows Kerk out of the water, and would be clearly ahead of Kerk in the seeding matrix.

133 will be REALLY interesting too. If they give Kerk the 1 seed at 285, the committee used past season results to sway that decision. With that in mind, can they really seed Crookham 1 at 133 when Fix is there also undefeated?

Anything else of real interest?

ccubsfans

Dec 4, 2009
Ok, so we auto-qualify 8 to the NCAAs. Feldkamp will need an at-large to make it 9. I think he’ll get one, but we have no chance at 197.

I believe, at larges are scheduled to be announced tomorrow, 3/12, with brackets being announced Wednesday, 3/13.

Carr and Ramirez are basically tied from a matrix perspective, with Ramirez holding the head-2-head. Could Carr be the 4 seed? Quite possible.

Kerkvliet is 15-0 with 73.3% bonus. His best win doesn’t technically count (TF’s Hendrickson in the All-Star event). After that, he has beaten Feldman twice, Davidson, Taylor twice and Slavikouski.

Bastida is 24-0 with 70.8% bonus. He has beaten Hendrickson, Schultz, Elam twice, Feldman, Davidson, Heindselman, Doucet and Pitzer.

Bastida’s quality win metric blows Kerk out of the water, and would be clearly ahead of Kerk in the seeding matrix.

133 will be REALLY interesting too. If they give Kerk the 1 seed at 285, the committee used past season results to sway that decision. With that in mind, can they really seed Crookham 1 at 133 when Fix is there also undefeated?

Sadly I think David will get the 4 and he will have O'toole in the semis. Maybe Messenbrink has a better resume than O'toole? I have no idea on that. Could he get the1 instead of O'toole? Yonger has earned the 1 seed and should have it. Seeding for 125 is going to be a complete crap shoot. How high of a seed does Ech get 5 or 6?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
What I read is that Yonger should get #1 seed and Kerk the #2 and Capt America #3

I haven't followed 165 because of all the different outcomes that could happen.
MEssenbrink and O'Toole are #1 & #2. After that, I am not sure, I assume Ramirez at #3 and Carr and Hamiti at 4 & 5

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

I’m curious how Echemendia gets seeded. I think he could possibly jump to the 5.

Reactions: enisthemenace

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
He could. The top 4 are pretty set. Bartlett, Mendez, Woods and Jack. Then you have McNeil, Hardy and Ech battling for 5th.
He has had a better season than Hardy and should jump him (5th at B1G). McNeil is a question since he lost H2H.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
What I read is that Yonger should get #1 seed and Kerk the #2 and Capt America #3

MEssenbrink and O'Toole are #1 & #2. After that, I am not sure, I assume Ramirez at #3 and Carr and Hamiti at 4 & 5
Per my calcs, I am thinking 165 will be:
1 - Messenbrinki
2 - O'Toole
3 - Carr
4 - Hamiti
5 - Ramirez

I understand that after all the matrix calculations are completed, the coaches may make some slight adjustments in the seeding meetings. They may switch O'Toole to number 1 based on being undefeated and a 2-time champ.

I also agree that Yonger will calculate to number 1, but I could see coaches switching based on Kerk being undefeated and returning champ.

...now we wait

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
1 - Messenbrinki
2 - O'Toole
3 - Carr
4 - Hamiti
5 - Ramirez

I understand that after all the matrix calculations are completed, the coaches may make some slight adjustments in the seeding meetings. They may switch O'Toole to number 1 based on being undefeated and a 2-time champ.

I also agree that Yonger will calculate to number 1, but I could see coaches switching based on Kerk being undefeated and returning champ.

...now we wait
When do they normally come out?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
1 - Messenbrinki
2 - O'Toole
3 - Carr
4 - Hamiti
5 - Ramirez

...now we wait
Kerk got 2nd last season. Not a returning champ

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Why does everyone think Mesenbrink will get the 1 seed? His resume doesn’t shake a stick at O’Tooles.

Mesenbrink wins: Caliendo, Hamiti, Amine, Fish

O’Toole: Carr, Ramirez, Oleknik, Hall, Ed Ruth(174)

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think we know where Carr (3 or likely 4) and Bastida (1 or 2) will be seeded.

I THINK we will get a top 6 seed with Ech, and top 10 seeds with Frost and Casey.

Very curious to where they put Feldkamp after his tough weekend.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

I THINK we will get a top 6 seed with Ech, and top 10 seeds with Frost and Casey.

57 is interesting too. Chittum could sneak into top 10, but Downey win would have really helped.

Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Chittum will be an interesting seed too. Not sure many will really want to see him on their path.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

1 - Messenbrinki
2 - O'Toole
3 - Carr
4 - Hamiti
5 - Ramirez

...now we wait
Kerk got 2nd last season. Not a returning champ
You are correct. Forgot about him losing to Paris. That may very well keep Yonger at 1.

Reactions: stuclone