NCAA transfer eligibility rules (re: Royce White)

ISUguy

Prime Сasual Dating - Authentic Ladies
Jun 27, 2006
Here is what I found in the NCAA transfer rule book regarding when an athlete would be eligible at their new school:

http://www.rolltide.com/fls/8000/files/compliance/2007-08_transfer_guide.pdf

Some highlights (or lowlights for us):

You must spend one academic year in
residence at your new school before you

are eligible to play.

For your academic year in residence to count
toward your eligibility to play, you must sit
out only at the school where you intend to
play. And you must be a full-time student.
You cannot meet this requirement by going
part time or by not being in school at all.
For a semester or quarter to count toward
your one academic year in residence, you
must be enrolled full time (which is generally
at least 12 credit hours) and you must be
enrolled before the 12th day of class.

So, that does not sound good for his chances. Some wondered that since he was granted his release before the start of the second semester (online article dated Feb. 3 says he was granted his release - not sure if that was before the start of the second semester at the U of M or not but it doesn't look like it would matter) if the NCAA would count his spring semester at Minnesota and fall semester at Iowa State as the year of sitting out. This information says that is not the case.

However, if you read on through the manual, it talks about a one time exception to the transfer rule where an athlete does not have to sit out. Problem is, that exception does not apply to basketball players. No luck there.

Final option that I can see is petitioning the NCAA for a hardship waiver that would set aside the requirement to sit out a year. We have seen this happen when a player needs to transfer closer to home due to a family situation. I would have a very difficult time imagining the NCAA saying that he would be eligible for this waiver since the problems involved that caused him to transfer were legal matters he put himself in the middle of.

Unless there is something that I can't find, I don't see how he has any chance of being eligible at a Division I school before fall of 2011. If anyone can document anything different, let's take a look at it.

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
This is ROYCE F'ing WHITE we are talking about. The NCAA would not make him sit out a year, they woudl be foolish to do that

:jimlad:

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Unless he goes to Kentucky, I don't see how he has any chance of being eligible at a Division I school before fall of 2011. If anyone can document anything different, let's take a look at it.

Fixed it for you:skeptical:.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Here is what I found in the NCAA transfer rule book regarding when an athlete would be eligible at their new school:

http://www.rolltide.com/fls/8000/files/compliance/2007-08_transfer_guide.pdf

Some highlights (or lowlights for us):

are eligible to play.

So, that does not sound good for his chances. Some wondered that since he was granted his release before the start of the second semester (online article dated Feb. 3 says he was granted his release - not sure if that was before the start of the second semester at the U of M or not but it doesn't look like it would matter) if the NCAA would count his spring semester at Minnesota and fall semester at Iowa State as the year of sitting out. This information says that is not the case.

However, if you read on through the manual, it talks about a one time exception to the transfer rule where an athlete does not have to sit out. Problem is, that exception does not apply to basketball players. No luck there.

Final option that I can see is petitioning the NCAA for a hardship waiver that would set aside the requirement to sit out a year. We have seen this happen when a player needs to transfer closer to home due to a family situation. I would have a very difficult time imagining the NCAA saying that he would be eligible for this waiver since the problems involved that caused him to transfer were legal matters he put himself in the middle of.

Unless there is something that I can't find, I don't see how he has any chance of being eligible at a Division I school before fall of 2011. If anyone can document anything different, let's take a look at it.

Logic pretty much says theres no way he could play next year.

However, everything I'm hearing he wouldn't even be sought after by the schools he is if he couldn't play next year...take it FWIW.

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
You didn't include the entire rule. There was more to the NCAA's rational and rule making....

are eligible to play.

This rule to all NCAA Division 1 schools with the exceptions of the following crucial schools: Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and any other school that happens to be 'hot' at the time. All schools not listed above are ****ed!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
You didn't include the entire rule. There was more to the NCAA's rational and rule making....

This rule to all NCAA Division 1 schools with the exceptions of the following crucial schools: Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and any other school that happens to be 'hot' at the time. All schools not listed above are ****ed!

Well played. :notworthy:

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Maybe, as a new coach, Fred can pull a Costanza-getting-busy-on-his-desk-with-the-maid and say "Was that wrong? If I had any idea that that type of thing was frowned upon, then I wouldn't have done it."

Help Support Us

Become a patron