NCC and stadium seating

heshwar

Apr 11, 2006
I have been wondering this for a while. If there are 7000ish NCC members, 8,000ish students add in some faculty etc.

45,000 capacity permanent seating area. How is it that everyone who donates anything can't sit inside the thirty's? Where are the other tickets going to? Tickets for me and th group I sit with will be going up 200 dollars. I know, not much in comparison to other areas, but for us it makes it a tough decision to try and keep those seats. If we don't up our donation is it possible we keep our seats anyway?

I guess I just don't understand how with 36,000 season ticket holders and only 7,000 ncc members we are filling up all those seats. If every member averaged 4 tickets that still only makes 28,000, plus students, plus faculty = 36,000ish How many are stadium option but don't donate? How many do they hold for families, corporations etc.

If we are getting that many people donating that we are filling up the stadium thats fantastic.

Maybe, I just answered my own question.

(Sorry for the rambling)

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Good question.

One or two thousand donate in the south endzone. Im not sure how many donate for the hillside, probably about the same. Also many people are Cy'z pack holders.
The damn faculty takes up 10 rows right in front of me in sect. N. About the only place they could put people closer would be in section P, but that a student section.

Photo Viewer

I see on the chart it says that Hillside requires a season ticket. SO i guess from now on there are no single game hillside tix, i guess i didnt see that if someone pointed that out earlier.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Hey! Careful with the "damn faculty" comment!
All right, I'm not faculty at ISU, but still... :wink:
'
Arent most of them just taking advantage of an employee discount? Football isnt a big deal, but i dont think they need to be in the parquet for Bball.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am guessing there are a lot of non donors inside the 30s. Most of my section is non donors or the bare minimum, and we are right at the 30 yard line.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
There are many people who aren't members of the NCC but still buy season tickets. As far as faculty, quite a few buy tickets (they get a discount), and isn't the entire point of a University to teach... Without professors you have no University. Since we're talking about football, it would be like going to watch a football game, but there are no players there.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
That's a very good question. I sit in Section 20 on about the 3 yard line and the minimum donation is going from $100 (or $50 for Varisity members) to $250. You can't tell me that everyone between the goal lines is donating $250 or more.

I don't have a problem with the increase donation, ticket prices, etc. but some of the people I sit with do and unless we want to break up our group I may have to move a section over.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Dont forget some people are grandfathered in because of helping pay for the staduim 30 years ago. We could see big changes with them now having to donate more.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
That's a very good question. I sit in Section 20 on about the 3 yard line and the minimum donation is going from $100 (or $50 for Varisity members) to $250. You can't tell me that everyone between the goal lines is donating $250 or more.

I don't have a problem with the increase donation, ticket prices, etc. but some of the people I sit with do and unless we want to break up our group I may have to move a section over.

i am right there with you in sec 20 I think we are planning on keep our 6 together but still have to make that decision. We are lucky we still get the under 30 discount.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Dont forget some people are grandfathered in because of helping pay for the staduim 30 years ago. We could see big changes with them now having to donate more.

The grandfathered people still get to stay. But that cannot be that large of a group that is still alive.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
So how are the seats used up-
-At least 3,000 go to those who were original donors to the stadium. (The number I have heard is 3,300+/-)They can keep their seats without a NCC donation until death. (Before anyone complains on this, these were those that stepped up when orgiinally needed. Should the agreement have been for so long, most would say not. However an agreement was made and it has to be kept.)
-Staff take up some, but they also still have to do a donation. It is easier if you think of it as an employee discount.
-Many donors have more than 2-4 tickets. They may have 6, 8 or more and are making an extra donation for each of those seats (if they want to keep them in the same level).
-Re-indexing and adjusting the donation levels is way overdue. The seating sections, areas and assignments have not been adjusted for years. And, when they were last adjusted those in new areas have been allowed to be grandfathered in at their old donation levels.

Right now you have many ticket holders not making the current donation level for their area, while around them all other ticket holders are. You also have many new season ticket holders (new can be as long as having had tickets for several years already) who are seated in sections 1-2 levels below their donation level.

If you truely are going to have a seating system based on donation levels, this is not fair to anyone. Many colleges re-seat their stadiums/facilities every 2-4 years, without re-indexing. ISU is trying to recognize long term season ticket holders and give everyone the option to keep their seats, as long as the donation level is correct for the seating area.

The section boundaries and donor area levels were last drawn up when we had 4,500-5,500 NCC members. Now we have another 2,000+ NCC members who are wanting to have a chance to be seated in the sections that are listed as the ones for their donor level. Right now there is no way that is going to happen and there is no way we are going to grow NCC donations or total levels until this is corrected.

If everyone keeps thier seats, these donors may still not get into the correct area. If that does happen, it at least means we are recognizing long term season ticket holders and all donors know that everyone is at least paying the correct level for their area.

There will still be some who are paying a higher donation for their level of seating. But there will not be anyone sitting in better seats who is paying less than the correct donation for the section.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The grandfathered people still get to stay. But that cannot be that large of a group that is still alive.

I agree, I know of people that have gave them up, some are in a business name, and some older people do buy them for their families. I would hope people sitting in good seats have to donate a bit more than me.

And what CyAggie said.

Last edited:

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I have been wondering this for a while. If there are 7000ish NCC members, 8,000ish students add in some faculty etc.

45,000 capacity permanent seating area. How is it that everyone who donates anything can't sit inside the thirty's? Where are the other tickets going to? Tickets for me and th group I sit with will be going up 200 dollars. I know, not much in comparison to other areas, but for us it makes it a tough decision to try and keep those seats. If we don't up our donation is it possible we keep our seats anyway?

I guess I just don't understand how with 36,000 season ticket holders and only 7,000 ncc members we are filling up all those seats. If every member averaged 4 tickets that still only makes 28,000, plus students, plus faculty = 36,000ish How many are stadium option but don't donate? How many do they hold for families, corporations etc.

If we are getting that many people donating that we are filling up the stadium thats fantastic.

Maybe, I just answered my own question.

(Sorry for the rambling)

A little crude math-I'm doing this on the fly. By "between the 30's" I assume you mean in the lower level, because you could get in between the 30's in the balcony if you are in the right giving level. ($500 toward the top, $1K lower 1/2)

I am assuming 30 rows in the middle sections-the skyboxes take away quite a few rows in the back.

That leaves 8 sections between the 30's, four on each side. I sit in seat 10 in my section and there are about 7 people to my right so let's just assume 20 people in a row.

8 sections X 30 rows X 20 seats = 4800, and each donor who buys in those sections is taking their 4 tickets, so that's 1200 donors MAX.

I've been in Gold for the past two years and I can't get those tickets. In 2008 I upgraded to Captain's hoping that enough seats will open up with the new sky boxes and club seating.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
We we one of those that had seats a section or two down from our giving level - I understand the "grandfathered", previous index, and point system, but it did get a little frustrating at times. We've increased our giving 10x over the last 5 years just to keep the parking that used to be free (b/c what is football without tailgating???) And we'll probably up it again this year to get better seats.

Where I get more frustrated is in the ticket office's lack of ability to even give a general idea of what is out there and available to us as far as seats. I might reconsider an increase for 2008 if I knew that our seating was not going to get any better or go backwards. It gets worse in that this will be the second move in two years for us, and not by choice (we were top of lower level on the west side - moved last fall because of impending suites, but were moved to another set of seats that are now gone...) Wish it was a little more sophisticated, like a concert seating. For example: everyone who is giving has done so by a certain date, here's your options, choose from that. I do web applications for a living and can't see where an online tool that used NCC levels/points and ticket data to present seat options would be that tough to put out there (and if you're reading this JP, I do contract work on the side :wink:)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Yeah I would love it if they did like Iowa. You can map out the stadium, and zoom down to the seats. It says right on there what you need to donate them to get those seats. Made it easy to get seats near your buddies too. Just toss it all online and let us pick them out.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It gets worse in that this will be the second move in two years for us, and not by choice (we were top of lower level on the west side - moved last fall because of impending suites, but were moved to another set of seats that are now gone...)

We were at the top of one of those same sections and were given the choice of staying and moving next season or moving last season. I called the ticket office and talked to them about it and they suggested to stay put for last season and move next season to avoid moving twice.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006

These people ARE NOT going to have to donate at the given NCC level. They will retain this benefit for life. Not something I am pleased with, but ISU did make that deal and JP is honoring it. They are policing it to make sure the benefit is being used by the ones who gave and it is not transferrable, so eventually, they will have to pony up, or lose the seats.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
So how are the seats used up-
-At least 3,000 go to those who were original donors to the stadium. (The number I have heard is 3,300+/-)They can keep their seats without a NCC donation until death. (Before anyone complains on this, these were those that stepped up when orgiinally needed. Should the agreement have been for so long, most would say not. However an agreement was made and it has to be kept.)

Yep.... ISU needs to honor the deal. They blew it by not capping it at 20 years or 25 or 30 or whatever.... but the deal WAS made and it NEEDS to be honored.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
They are policing it to make sure the benefit is being used by the ones who gave and it is not transferrable.
this is the best thing they could do in that situation. honor the original agreement but police it and make in non-transferable. another good job out of you JP

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't know how many people bought the permanent seat licenses back in the early 70's, but given that they had to donate a pretty considerable chunk of money at the time, I am guessing most of them were in their 40's or even older, so they are getting up in age, and as was stated earlier, they cannot pass this benefit on to their heirs, so more of those seats should open up every year.