ND Special Teams Coordinator

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Brian Mason is in his 4th season as a Special Teams Coordinator. He has done nothing but coach the special teams. Last night for ND, his team blocked their 6th punt in 8 games. Blocked punt was scooped up and scored for a TD.

Gosh what a concept. Hire someone who does nothing, but coach special teams.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Brian Mason is in his 4th season as a Special Teams Coordinator. He has done nothing but coach the special teams. Last night for ND, his team blocked their 6th punt in 8 games. Blocked punt was scooped up and scored for a TD.

Gosh what a concept. Hire someone who does nothing, but coach special teams.
It would be if there wasn't a limit on on-field coaches. It can be done, but then the OC or DC likely need to be a position coach as well.

There isn't a Big12 school that has a dedicated ST coach. Probably more likely ST responsibilities would be given to a position coach like Mauser or Broomfield.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It would be if there wasn't a limit on on-field coaches. It can be done, but then the OC or DC likely need to be a position coach as well.

There isn't a Big12 school that has a dedicated ST coach. Probably more likely ST responsibilities would be given to a position coach like Mauser or Broomfield.

Scheelhaase does KR and PR.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Alls I know is that if ISU blocked 6 punts this season (so far) plus better attended to all the ST duties that a dedicated coach would have, we could have almost certainly have a better w/l record.
Marcus FreemanHead Coach2*Defensive Coordinator
Notre Dame
Tommy ReesOffensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks6Offensive Analyst
San Diego Chargers (NFL)
Deland McCulloughRunning Backs Coach1RB Coach
Kansas City Chiefs
Gerad ParkerTight Ends Coach1TE Coach / Co OC
West Virginia
Harry HiestandOffensive Line Coach1**OL Coach
Chicago Bears
Chansi StuckeyWide Receivers Coach1Wide Receivers
Baylor
Al GoldenDefensive Coordinator
Linebackers Coach
1Linebackers Coach
Cincinnati Bengals
Al WashingtonDefensive Line1Defensive Line Coach
Ohio State
Mike MickensDefensive Backs Coach (CB)3Cornerbacks Coach
Cincinnati
Chris O'LearyDefensive Backs Coach (S)5***Georgia State
Graduate Assistant
Brian MasonSpecial Teams Coordinator1Special Teams
Cincinnati
Matt BalisStrength & Conditioning Coordinator7Strength and Conditioning Coordinator
UConn (2014-2016)

• Informative
Reactions: CycoCyclone

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Ideally, your OC would also be coaching QB's and your DC would be coaching LB's. Iowa State needs a special teams coach, because right now the special teams are very special.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Ideally, your OC would also be coaching QB's and your DC would be coaching LB's. Iowa State needs a special teams coach, because right now the special teams are very special.
I think the former is only true if the OC is a former QB.

But your point is true, many coordinators are also position coaches. My guess is most have a GA with experience to support that position as well.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Marcus FreemanHead Coach2*Defensive Coordinator
Notre Dame
Tommy ReesOffensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks6Offensive Analyst
San Diego Chargers (NFL)
Deland McCulloughRunning Backs Coach1RB Coach
Kansas City Chiefs
Gerad ParkerTight Ends Coach1TE Coach / Co OC
West Virginia
Harry HiestandOffensive Line Coach1**OL Coach
Chicago Bears
Chansi StuckeyWide Receivers Coach1Wide Receivers
Baylor
Al GoldenDefensive Coordinator
Linebackers Coach
1Linebackers Coach
Cincinnati Bengals
Al WashingtonDefensive Line1Defensive Line Coach
Ohio State
Mike MickensDefensive Backs Coach (CB)3Cornerbacks Coach
Cincinnati
Chris O'LearyDefensive Backs Coach (S)5***Georgia State
Graduate Assistant
Brian MasonSpecial Teams Coordinator1Special Teams
Cincinnati
Matt BalisStrength & Conditioning Coordinator7Strength and Conditioning Coordinator
UConn (2014-2016)
Could be, but most schools get it done with a position coach having dual responsibilities.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
We have a special teams coach. He just can’t recruit.

Kind of threw up in my mouth when I read the phrase, “Considered a special teams innovator…”

We are innovating special teams back to the days of leather helmets. Instead of innovation, let’s just strive for basic competence.

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
What doesn't he coach?

At least from a title perspective he is also Rushing Game Coordinator, RB & WR coach. He's a busy guy.
Doesn't have much time for KR and PR is what we're saying here.

Dedicated ST coach that coaches TEs or something, not that hard. What we do now doesn't work.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Both him and Grande are very involved with the team. They can’t recruit, that’s really the only difference.

Analysts may not recruit and may not be in direct contact with the team (though I’m sure every program tries to figure out how much they can stretch this). If he is coaching them directly to these results, I’d say it makes an even stronger case for new blood.

Reactions: CyCity

tman24

Feb 6, 2008

Oc should be the QB coach as well. Then we don't need a dedicated QB coach, which I don't know what ours does...

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Both him and Grande are very involved with the team. They can’t recruit, that’s really the only difference.

Hopefully that news doesn’t get out then, Iowa State would be in some trouble in an analyst was coaching.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Kind of threw up in my mouth when I read the phrase, “Considered a special teams innovator…”

We are innovating special teams back to the days of leather helmets. Instead of innovation, let’s just strive for basic competence.

Exactly. We are not good at special teams. How many more punts do we have to get blocked to make a change?

I keep thinking our FG kicker is about to turn a corner on consistency and then his 42 yard attempt yesterday that I don't even think had enough distance. Speaking of our FG kicker, why doesn't he warm up before the 2nd half? Seems odd to me that the others get some practice in before the 2nd half.

Kick offs have been ok this year and Noel usually catches the ball on punts so that is enough. I thought the knuckleballs he let go early yesterday would have been tough catches. I don't think I've ever seen balls move on punts the way that kid punted them yesterday.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Do people actually think that Iowa State doesn’t have coaches assigned to each specific special teams unit? Having a special teams analyst makes sense to me. Other than the kickers and long snappers, everyone else is practicing with their position groups during the bulk of the practice. I am sure there is specific planned practice time allotted for special teams where the whole team is involved. Do we spend enough time on it, I don’t know? Do we have the right players on special teams, I don’t know? Hiring a dedicated special teams coach, however, seems like it would be a waste of a limited resource most of practice.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron