Need a referee

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was confused by what happened near the end of OT last night. TT inbounded and we trapped, running about 4 seconds off the clock before they called timeout. They inbounded again and I can't remember if they called another time out or if we batted it out of bounds, but either way I thought they would have about 5 seconds to get the ball across center line when they inbounded again. They inbounded and we trapped but fouled right away. I didn't understand why we would do that unless they got a 10 second re-set, which I didn't think they would get. I know there have been some rule changes, but would they get a 10 second re-set by calling a time out?

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was confused by what happened near the end of OT last night. TT inbounded and we trapped, running about 4 seconds off the clock before they called timeout. They inbounded again and I can't remember if they called another time out or if we batted it out of bounds, but either way I thought they would have about 5 seconds to get the ball across center line when they inbounded again. They inbounded and we trapped but fouled right away. I didn't understand why we would do that unless they got a 10 second re-set, which I didn't think they would get. I know there have been some rule changes, but would they get a 10 second re-set by calling a time out?

I think they were trapping unless Smith caught the ball (66 percent FT shooter).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I don't think so. I think the announcers thought there was maybe 9 seconds left.

I'm not sure we wanted to foul either. Hallice made an aggressive move and seemed to grab for the ball. Maybe they wanted the foul or wanted to make a steal attempt if it presented itself? It would have been nice to try another trap there as it was a big man with the ball, but he was also a mediocre free throw shooter. Maybe that's why.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I'm not sure, but thought the 10 second restarts with a timeout, but not on the deflection. On the TV broadcast, you could clearly hear the ref tell the broadcasters that they got until like 13.8 to get it across, which was about 9 seconds.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Doesn't the 10 second rule reset after a timeout is called? Thought that was a change this year.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Walters said on the radio that the 10 seconds resets if/when they called the timeout.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
since the shot clock was off i was wondering what was the purposes of doing all that? why not let them inbound it and foul the first time

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The 10 second count resets on a timeout by the offensive team: http://www.referee.com/basketball-2015-16-mens-basketball-rules-changes/

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Thanks. Not that that the ncaa cares but imo that rule change sucks. Work your ***** off on defense for 9 seconds and the offense can call time out with 1 second on the 10 second clock and get a new 10 seconds. Sure penalizes the defense and wonder what the thinking was behind that rule change.

No different than the 5 second inbound rule really. You are having to waste a time out to save a possession, so that sounds like penalty enough for me.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Walters said on the radio that the 10 seconds resets if/when they called the timeout.

If the shot clock reset, why did the refs say something about 9 seconds? Or was that because the ball got knocked out of bounds?

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Thanks. Not that that the ncaa cares but imo that rule change sucks. Work your ***** off on defense for 9 seconds and the offense can call time out with 1 second on the 10 second clock and get a new 10 seconds. Sure penalizes the defense and wonder what the thinking was behind that rule change.

I don't think that was a rule change. What was a rule change was that in place the whole time. It used to reset when the ball got hit out of bounds by a defender. That changed.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
No different than the 5 second inbound rule really. You are having to waste a time out to save a possession, so that sounds like penalty enough for me.

True, though the clock isn't running on an inbound so would be harder to determine since the official is counting off the seconds. But now the defense is penalized in both situations. Jmo but I dont' think trading a possession for a time out is much of a penalty down the stretch in a close game, and takes a lot of the drama out of the 10 second rule.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Since it seems we have an answer to the OP's question, I'll pose a similar one. Does the 10 second include or exclude the amount of time it takes to inbound the ball? I assume excludes, so a team has 15 seconds total to inbound the ball and cross half court.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I don't think that was a rule change. What was a rule change was that in place the whole time. It used to reset when the ball got hit out of bounds by a defender. That changed.

You could be right. It's listed under "note" under the rule changes so maybe it was that way before the recent rule changes. I just dont' remember it that way and I could be wrong.

McKinney

Feb 1, 2012
McKinney, TX

Tangent...Just this last weekend I saw a coach of a 3rd grade rec team, in a league that doesn't allow guarding until the ball reaches half-court, call 2 time outs to burn the last 25 seconds off the clock without ever bringing the ball past the line. I know, cool-story-bro, but it caught my attention as an extreme example of using that rule.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Since it seems we have an answer to the OP's question, I'll pose a similar one. Does the 10 second include or exclude the amount of time it takes to inbound the ball? I assume excludes, so a team has 15 seconds total to inbound the ball and cross half court.

I think I can answer that one. The 10 second clock doesn't start until an inbounds offensive player touches the ball.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Tangent...Just this last weekend I saw a coach of a 3rd grade rec team, in a league that doesn't allow guarding until the ball reaches half-court, call 2 time outs to burn the last 25 seconds off the clock without ever bringing the ball past the line. I know, cool-story-bro, but it caught my attention as an extreme example of using that rule.

No reason a college team couldnt' use a couple of timeouts to run the last 27-28 seconds off the game clock without ever bringing it across the center line. Of course the d would be forced to foul first.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
If the shot clock reset, why did the refs say something about 9 seconds? Or was that because the ball got knocked out of bounds?

Tech inbounded the ball, Iowa St trapped them, Tech calls timeout, 10 second clock restarts, Tech throws it in, Iowa St knocks it out of players hands out of bounds, 10 seconds doesn't restart, Tech throws it in again, Burton rejects the inbounds pass back out of bounds, 10 second count still doesn't reset, refs go to monitor to make sure proper time came off, then tell the broadcasters, and teams how much time they have to get it across.

In last night's situation, the shot clock was off prior to all events. In this case refs subtract 10 seconds from game clock, and that's the time that the team has to get across half court by.

Help Support Us

Become a patron