Need information on EBikes

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
All,
Looking to get a EBike since I’ve hit Medicare age. What’s the best brand, features, and other items you would recommend??
Thanks

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
What are you going to do with it? I like the Rambo brand but I ride out west in the mountains hunting - lots of off road. I don't know/have not looked into street e-bikes.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What are you going to do with it? I like the Rambo brand but I ride out west in the mountains hunting - lots of off road. I don't know/have not looked into street e-bikes.

Saw one of those in Ankeny they look really nice. Talked to the owner he loves it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
No e-bike experience I would go to a few different bike shops and ask them to teach you about them. A good bike shop will be a ton of help in helping you sort through your options.

Bike shop recommendations Skunk River in Ames. Wayne's ski and cycle in Mason City.

• Informative

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’d always go online and look around at some of the “non-bike shop” brands and check out the specs. You can probably get a bike with the same complimentary and the same motors for way less.

Rad Power Bikes
Blix Bikes
Aventon
Rambo

• Informative

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Saw one of those in Ankeny they look really nice. Talked to the owner he loves it.

Yeah I road one at the DU national expo and it is a heck of a bike - about 40 mile range in the mountains, and it can haul my old self up some serious inclines. Quiet as a mouse too so way better than a 4 wheeler when elk hunting.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I don't know much about them but I've ridden two. One was a legit e-motorcycle, the other an e-bicycle. Both were crazy fast. They were a blast. Wear a helmet!

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
All,
Looking to get a EBike since I’ve hit Medicare age. What’s the best brand, features, and other items you would recommend??
Thanks
We shopped a week or two at local bike shops. I’m not much for shopping. Kinda hard to find them actually. Similar age to you. Not hard core bicyclers at all. Bar hop on them mostly. Got tired of being 15-20 miles away dreading ride home with a day of cocktails so it basically limited how far we went. Ebikes definitely the answer to that problem plus allows my wife to keep up with me too. Anyway we love our pair of Trek Allant+8S’s. Supposedly rated just under 80 miles on a charge. Probably not true but I bet it’s 65 or 70. We try to limit use of battery until ride home to get some actual exercise and go 20+ mph easily if need to on way home. But mostly a casual stress free 15. They are heavy to mount on rack so not for weenies. Ours with bags/rear racks are about 60# each. Need a pretty stout rack to haul them with too.
Good luck!

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know a lot myself but isn't there a difference between electric and electric assist? One actually propels all the time and the other just gives assistance when you want it? Anyway my point is that I think there are two types that you can do your research on.

• Informative
Reactions: ISUalways

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
I don't know a lot myself but isn't there a difference between electric and electric assist? One actually propels all the time and the other just gives assistance when you want it? Anyway my point is that I think there are two types that you can do your research on.
Your right I think. Ours only assists if you peddle. 20% 40% 60% 80% essentially depending on how many times you click the bottom. 80% is virtually effortless even up a steep hill.

Reactions: ISUalways

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I'm a subscriber to Instructables, a DIY site. Just a few days ago the daily digest including a project that converted a bike to electric power. This project and similar other ones should be found here:

And, of course, that link doesn't include the one I mentioned. Maybe this is it:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
If you're in Iowa, my only recommendation is to stay at 750W or below. 751W is considered a moped and can get you an OWI. 750W and under is considered a bicycle. But, unless you're riding a bunch of hills, 250W should be sufficient.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and CyValley