Need Tech Help with Home Speaker

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have a Bose Home Speaker 300 with built-in Alexa, got it maybe a year or 18 months ago. I also subscribed to the Amazon music unlimited. So by simple voice command it'll play pretty much any song we ask Alexa to play. Probably 3-4 weeks ago, the Amazon music thing stopped working. I've spoken with Bose tech support and re-set my speaker three times. I've spoken with Amazon/Alexa tech support, even cancelled my subscription and re-signed up. What happens is when I ask Alexa to play a song, she comes on, announces the song title/artist, then "from Amazon music." Then, nothing. Silence. Everything else seems to work, Alexa gives me time, temp, answers questions, etc. just as she always has. It's just the playing of the song that's the problem. The speaker has no other problems, plays music from the Bose app, plays music from my Spotify. And when I give it a voice command to play a song from Spotify, that works too. It's just the Amazon music part that's not working. It recognizes that I have the subscription because Alexa announces the song/artist, it just doesn't actually play the song.

Any smart tech guys have thoughts on what might be causing this?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I have a Bose Home Speaker 300 with built-in Alexa, got it maybe a year or 18 months ago. I also subscribed to the Amazon music unlimited. So by simple voice command it'll play pretty much any song we ask Alexa to play. Probably 3-4 weeks ago, the Amazon music thing stopped working. I've spoken with Bose tech support and re-set my speaker three times. I've spoken with Amazon/Alexa tech support, even cancelled my subscription and re-signed up. What happens is when I ask Alexa to play a song, she comes on, announces the song title/artist, then "from Amazon music." Then, nothing. Silence. Everything else seems to work, Alexa gives me time, temp, answers questions, etc. just as she always has. It's just the playing of the song that's the problem. The speaker has no other problems, plays music from the Bose app, plays music from my Spotify. And when I give it a voice command to play a song from Spotify, that works too. It's just the Amazon music part that's not working. It recognizes that I have the subscription because Alexa announces the song/artist, it just doesn't actually play the song.

Any smart tech guys have thoughts on what might be causing this?

Have you asked Alexa?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This actually happened to me within the past week, with a Gen3 Echo Plus. I was able to "wake" the speaker up by opening up Amazon Music on my phone and set the music to play on the smart speaker. Once the music started streaming I stopped the music on my phone and then it was able to play on the Echo directly.

Adding screenshots to help. Press the Share Music icon in the Amazon Music app and then select the Smart speaker - it should be listed in your devices.

Attachments

• Share Music_LI.jpg
    Share Music_LI.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Select Device.png
    Select Device.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This actually happened to me within the past week, with a Gen3 Echo Plus. I was able to "wake" the speaker up by opening up Amazon Music on my phone and set the music to play on the smart speaker. Once the music started streaming I stopped the music on my phone and then it was able to play on the Echo directly.

Our Echo randomly does this from Spotify as well. I can manually play from my phone through the device and then things start working again with voice control for whatever reason.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Adding screenshots to help. Press the Share Music icon in the Amazon Music app and then select the Smart speaker - it should be listed in your devices.

Yeah, tried playing a song from Amazon music directly from the Bose app on my phone and got an 'oops we can't right now' message.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, tried playing a song from Amazon music directly from the Bose app on my phone and got an 'oops we can't right now' message.
I would recommend troubleshooting with the Amazon Music and/or Alexa app directly. I think you can eliminate the Bose app as you have mentioned that it works fine with other applications. You may also want to check any speaker groups the Bose speaker is part of: if it is part of 1 or more groups try to play music from a different location and see if that speaker will work. If the speaker is not part of a group, add it to one or make a new group with just that speaker in it and see if you can get Amazon Music to work

Reactions: Gonzo

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Does Amazon music play on your phone without trying to send it anywhere? At least you would know the account is working.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
We definitely run into issues with the Echo Dot not playing songs on occasion. It's never clear why it happens, although it seems to occur more on the less popular stuff, like classical music. Usually when it happens, I ask for something completely different and it works just fine. I have an Amazon Music HD paid account, FWIW