Netflix Sends Emails to Subscribers They No Longer Want

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Just learned people are still downloading episodes of streamed shows... gave me aggressive Kazaa flashbacks. Maybe helpful those air flights without onboard entertainment and for keeping your kids quiet but I guess sans kids I didn't realize this was still a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Gorm

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Funny to me that they're trying to wrangle this in. How long have people been sharing accounts? 10 years? Must be absolutely saturated and they have nothing better to do.
I'm sure it has something to do with Disney/Hulu and other streaming services starting to steal their consumers. When they hit a peak in subscriptions, they probably had to figure out a way to generate more revenue from somewhere. This was likely their way combatting that.

We dropped their service a year or two ago because we got fed up with their system. We couldn't figure out why all of a sudden we were getting sound only and no video on our TV at home. We called many times and ran through different checks and never was able to fix the problem. So we then resorted to finishing out a series on my phone at the time and then canceled after that. We figured if they keep raising the price on us then why waste our money on it. We then borrowed her sisters login for a couple series on the ipad. When we started off with the $8-9 service and then it climbs to around $15, the benefit just didn't outweigh paying for small screen use. I don't know if it's our TV and the app being a problem on it, but thats my hypothesis.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
That's the thing. In 2023 theyre still charging extra for 4k, making you be on the most expensive plan to get it. That hasn't been the case on the other services that cost less and offer more\better content. Their value proposition for their current pricing is entirely based on the sharing component. They're a $4-5 a month service trying to charge $15-20

For the relatively few amount of good shows netflix has these days, I imagine most will have no problem raising the black flag instead.
They're trying to recover or recoup their outrageous bills for netflix only movies. I've read that in the past how big of a chunk that was impacting their bottom line.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. We use my in laws and will now have to pay $8 extra to do that. I am sure they will lose some people, but I bet they actually gain in aggregate. Will your partner drop their Netflix account?
That's a good question. We don't live in the same house, yet I'm part of his household. Also...he shares it with his family in Brazil that can't afford it on their own. We'll see what happens.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
What's unbelieveable is how eager you are to suck netflix's **** on this blatantly anti-consumer move.

What aren't you getting that netflix is already charging for multiple users by charging by the screen? This is nothing more than double dipping.
Not ONLY that, but a single user living alone, if they want the top video quality, is forced to purchase the premium plan which gives them FOUR simultaneous streams. Make it make sense.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: alarson

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not ONLY that, but a single user living alone, if they want the top video quality, are forced to purchase a the premium plan which give them FOUR simultaneous streams. Make it make sense.
It's all about the Benjamins.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Not ONLY that, but a single user living alone, if they want the top video quality, is forced to purchase the premium plan which gives them FOUR simultaneous streams. Make it make sense.

What's it called when a person cuts the cord and then cuts the product they used to cut the cord?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This thread is riveting, let me tell you.

under-construction-animated-gif-16.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Or the people who only watch Stranger Things and let their adult kids watch it too and think, meh, it’s kind of run it’s course and there is only one season left anyway so just sign up again for that
I haven’t watched the last release. I was excited and then just found myself not interested when it dropped.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Bro, you're the epitome of aggressive capitalism. Life is not all about our buying power. Jfc it's Netflix and you're defending this like it's the Cold War and the Commies are trying to destroy our way of life.

Dude… get out of here with that. I’m just someone.. that if I want something.. I pay for it. It’s unbelievable how cheap most people are on here… and when they get called out on being cheap.. you bring in the Cold War and commies comment. It’s actually sad.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Dude… get out of here with that. I’m just someone.. that if I want something.. I pay for it. It’s unbelievable how cheap most people are on here… and when they get called out on being cheap.. you bring in the Cold War and commies comment. It’s actually sad.
Herp de derp. I pays for my stuffs, y'all degenerates. Clearly your sense of pride stems from petty things considering how many times you've berated people over this.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I haven't seen any emails yet either. When they talk "household" are they going IP addresses? Or zip codes or something? I thought I saw something about that, but idr.

I share with my folks and my grown kids. We each have a service and share around. Works pretty well, tho once in a while I've lost ESPN when my folks turned on the same channel lol.

I get people being upset - having something "taken away" is the most painful thing psychologically. Even if you weren't supposed to have it in the first place. We get entitled so easily. That said, I don't want to pay more either. But doubt I will cancel. Which is what they are saying - x% cancel out of unhappiness, but net-net they are gaining.