New and On Tap.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I thought I would create a thread to comment on new specialty brews from various brewers. These should be "Specialty Brews" which are not a part of the brewery's normal lineup. Prefer you only post beers you consider to be 'masterworks' (not run down a specialty that only tastes average to you). There are also brews which are 'seasonal' (for example, Millstream's Octoberfest) which I did not intend for this thread to be about, but when each of those seasonals come out, I suppose it would hurt no one to hear from a few people about how good or average this year's batch is (just don't run it down too much if it really isn't up to your standards).

Would also appreciate any notable new 'specialty' additions to the other brewery's in CR and elsewhere(unfortunately my free time and free $$s don't allow me to make the rounds like I would like).
Even if it is only a weblink to a BeerAdvocate/Untapped/Ratebeer etc review.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I paid my usual weekly visit to Third Base in Cedar Rapids and found that their 13.3% Imperial Oatmeal Stout called Vengence Unleashed had sold out. Very disappointed. Felt like 3B should have made that one a regular. In its place was an IPA that I did not get the name of. I almost never drink IPAs, so I did not order. A buddy who showed up later did get it. I had a sip. I was floored because it was incredibly good. It was also very cloudy (almost looking like orange juice). Looking down the bar, 2/3 of the patrons sitting at the bar had this beer. I had already had my limit, so did not buy any. But next trip if they have any left... After having spent a day thinking about that beer, I now wonder if it would have been more appropriate for 3B to call it a Maibock instead of an IPA. It did remind me of a Maibock that I once had in Minneapolis from Spaten: Unfiltered, notably fresh hop scent, almost a fruity juice flavor (not the sour grapefruit hop flavor). I imagine the opaque quality of the beer will settle out over time, so probably not a huge 'shelf life' to it. I believe the ALC/vol was between 7 and 8%, and the IBUs were listed as a low 35 (well below their Aces Pale Ale).

Has anyone else had this?

AgronoCy

Aug 25, 2017
I paid my usual weekly visit to Third Base in Cedar Rapids and found that their 13.3% Imperial Oatmeal Stout called Vengence Unleashed had sold out. Very disappointed. Felt like 3B should have made that one a regular. In its place was an IPA that I did not get the name of. I almost never drink IPAs, so I did not order. A buddy who showed up later did get it. I had a sip. I was floored because it was incredibly good. It was also very cloudy (almost looking like orange juice). Looking down the bar, 2/3 of the patrons sitting at the bar had this beer. I had already had my limit, so did not buy any. But next trip if they have any left... After having spent a day thinking about that beer, I now wonder if it would have been more appropriate for 3B to call it a Maibock instead of an IPA. It did remind me of a Maibock that I once had in Minneapolis from Spaten: Unfiltered, notably fresh hop scent, almost a fruity juice flavor (not the sour grapefruit hop flavor). I imagine the opaque quality of the beer will settle out over time, so probably not a huge 'shelf life' to it. I believe the ALC/vol was between 7 and 8%, and the IBUs were listed as a low 35 (well below their Aces Pale Ale).

I have not had it, but it sounds like a New England style IPA to me.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's definitely a New England IPA.

They've become more popular than other styles of IPAs, because they're less bitter and have more of a juicy body and sweetness to them. It's a beer that people who love hops, and people who can't stand bitter can agree on.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

I've never had this, however your component about their Vengence Unleashed saddened me that it's gone. I considered it the best beer in CR.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I've never had this, however your component about their Vengence Unleashed saddened me that it's gone. I considered it the best beer in CR.

Well I certainly felt it was the best beer brewed in Iowa. Their new "New England IPA" is perhaps deserving of equal billing (and for those who like IPAs over Stouts, probably a higher billing). According to the gal behind the bar with respect to the New England IPA, "We've been selling the **** out of this stuff."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron