New assistant coach prospects?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
How about a yeller and stomper to counteract the Hawk group?

Kan we get both of those "Traits" in one assistant coach? :biglaugh:

Just kidding my main man............It would be different to have a wrestling coach who has a little passion instead of a stone face ...aka...Cael Sanderson and Co!

clonewell

Apr 11, 2006
Kan we get both of those "Traits" in one assistant coach? :biglaugh:

Just kidding my main man............It would be different to have a wrestling coach who has a little passion instead of a stone face ...aka...Cael Sanderson and Co!

I get tired of people harping about Cael. I was disappointted but we will be just fine. I think the coach will be someone to work with the middle weights as I think Yero Washington will work with the lower weights. The Paulsons, Nate Gallick, Dylan Long? Maybe except Paulsons and Gallick are still working towards World and Olympic aspirations. Maybe it will be someone outside the Cyclone family but I really have no idea who KJ has in mind. Hopefully will hear some thing in the near future.

snaedw

Oct 17, 2008
How about Steve Hamilton. Believe he is currently in Perry and has college experience.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
I get tired of people harping about Cael. I was disappointted but we will be just fine. I think the coach will be someone to work with the middle weights as I think Yero Washington will work with the lower weights. The Paulsons, Nate Gallick, Dylan Long? Maybe except Paulsons and Gallick are still working towards World and Olympic aspirations. Maybe it will be someone outside the Cyclone family but I really have no idea who KJ has in mind. Hopefully will hear some thing in the near future.

Listened to KJ talk at a meeting this AM and he indicated although he hated Iowa as an opponent, he was not above hiring a hawkeye as an assistant. he indicated he was close to bringing in his prospects. Said when he was head of USA Wrestling or Olympic wrestling coach, that the Brands, one or both worked for him, don't remember which one he said it was.

Said we moving on, and the future looked bright for ISU when the current frosh get aclimated and start training to win points at the end of the period.

Didn't have the courage to ask if the door was locked for Andrew Long ever to return, once he totally gives up drinking. Long thought he could drink once he turned 21, despite a KJ EDICT plan for Long to wrestle for ISU with never drinking again, NO MATTER WHAT.

Said we lost one promising wrestler who dropped out of ISU, enrolled at Emporia State I think it was, to follow his girl friend, giving up wrestling altogether.

Last edited:

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Listened to KJ talk at a meeting this AM and he indicated although he hated Iowa as an opponent, he was not above hiring a hawkeye as an assistant. he indicated he was close to bringing in his prospects. Said when he was head of USA Wrestling or Olympic wrestling coach, that the Brands, one or both worked for him, don't remember which one he said it was.

Said we moving on, and the future looked bright for ISU when the current frosh get aclimated and start training to win points at the end of the period.

Didn't have the courage to ask if the door was locked for Andrew Long ever to return, once he totally gives up drinking. Long thought he could drink once he turned 21, despite a KJ EDICT plan for Long to wrestle for ISU with never drinking again, NO MATTER WHAT.

Said we lost one promising wrestler who dropped out of ISU, enrolled at Emporia State I think it was, to follow his girl friend, giving up wrestling altogether.

Boaz Beard was the young man we lost... and he was promising.. very promising. Thanks for posting. It appears that KJ is in no hurry to hire his assistant and I think thats a good thing.... Im sure he wants to make sure he makes a great hire.

Im still holding out hope that we see Long in a ISU singlet again in the future.

His comment about having work with Iowa people before makes me wonder if he is targeting someone that has some Hawk ties. If thats the case I dont see that as a bad thing at all.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
when r we going to get a new assistant coach??? lets bring back jan schwitters and let that guy wrestle with the heavyweights-he was 350 when he was at iowa state.i used to have to work out with him every night and i was only 220-230.that was a lot of fun.the only way i could beat him was with the guillotine(sp.).

jan was the smartest dude on our team-almost a straight 4.0 at iowa state in math. he really got madder then hell when he got his only b in rotc. the rest of his college grades were 4.0 ....does anybody know where he coached and taught math in a college in california???? he was a peach of a guy. he think he got his doctorate in about 2 years at srizona or arizona state.jan was from iowa falls,iowa.
go cyclones!!!!!!!!

clonewell

Apr 11, 2006
It has been quiet in regards to the hiring of a new assistant coach. Anyone heard any info on who they might be considering as candidates for the position? I've called around to some former wrestlers and no one has heard a thing. KJ has really kept things confidential.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Bump.

Any news? Interesting rumors? Speculation?

Also curious, how does KJ get along with Bobby D?

clonewell

Apr 11, 2006
Bump.

Any news? Interesting rumors? Speculation?

Also curious, how does KJ get along with Bobby D?
I don't know how his relationship with Bobby Douglas but KJ is taking his time in finding a new aasistant. I haven't heard a thing in regards to candidates and I know several past wrestlers that are nat. champs and they haven't heard a thing either. This is a very important hire and I'm sure KJ wants to get the best person he can for the job. Hopefully KJ surprises us! (In a good way)

clonewell

Apr 11, 2006
ISU is hard up...Gary hasn't been around wrestling since early 90's
Wow! That is a name I have not heard in awhile. Are you serious or just throwing a name out there? I am not dissing the guy but like the previous poster said he has not been around wrestling for awhile. I will have to hear it from KJ to believe it.

clonewell

Apr 11, 2006
School has started and still have not heard on who will replace Bono. Anybody out there have any news?