New beer news

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Free State Brewing from Kansas is coming to Iowa in Mid November.

Rumors of Surly coming full time in February

Stone just came out with a new box set. "Arrogant Bastard (great), the Double Bastard (greater), the Lukcy Bastartd (freakin’ great), and Bourbon Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard (slap me silly and call me Nancy, great)."

Numberjuan

Sep 18, 2014
Free State Brewing from Kansas is coming to Iowa in Mid November.

Rumors of Surly coming full time in February

Stone just came out with a new box set. "Arrogant Bastard (great), the Double Bastard (greater), the Lukcy Bastartd (freakin’ great), and Bourbon Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard (slap me silly and call me Nancy, great)."

Bourbon Barrel Aged Arrogant Bastard is great. Had it on cask at Stone in July. If you like that, I would recommend you try Bastard in the Rye which is Arrogant Bastard aged in Templeton barrels. It's outstanding.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Anyone head to el Bait Shop for Where the Wild Beers Are/Funk'd? I had a pretty awesome time and there is still a ton of awesome sour beers on tap. Schell's Black Forrest Cherry, Tilquin Gueuze, Pentagram.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Anyone head to el Bait Shop for Where the Wild Beers Are/Funk'd? I had a pretty awesome time and there is still a ton of awesome sour beers on tap. Schell's Black Forrest Cherry, Tilquin Gueuze, Pentagram.

I wish I would have instead of gone to the football game. So many of these events have happened during ISU games. Next year I'm going to all of them.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Random beer question. Anyone know when Confluence is gonna start distributing their beers in cans? I heard it was supposed to be this year but havent seen it anywhere.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just started using a new app called Next Glass. It's in beta an only available until 2pm Thursday.

You can read more about it on their website but it's supposed to be like the Pandora of beer. You put in what you like and it will make recommendations.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Just started using a new app called Next Glass. It's in beta an only available until 2pm Thursday.

You can read more about it on their website but it's supposed to be like the Pandora of beer. You put in what you like and it will make recommendations.
That sounds awesome! I've always wanted something like that. I hope it works. I missed the 2 pm deadline, but I signed up for the waiting list here: http://nextglass.co/

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Free State is now showing up in stores. Never had one, any recommendations?

Nothing sticks on on Beer Advocate. I guess Copperhead Pale Ale rates relatively high. Maybe Winterfest IPA?

DumbFan

Mar 15, 2009
Central Iowa
Also just found Great Divide in HyVee. Visited their brewery 2 years ago in Denver and fell in love with their style and flavors. Just tried the Lasso IPA and as a big IPA lover, this one is top shelf. Looking forward to trying the rest in stock. Cheers!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Also just found Great Divide in HyVee. Visited their brewery 2 years ago in Denver and fell in love with their style and flavors. Just tried the Lasso IPA and as a big IPA lover, this one is top shelf. Looking forward to trying the rest in stock. Cheers!

I really like a lot of the stuff I've have from them. Yeti is fantastic, and their Hercules DIPA is one of my favorite beers ever. :yes:

Some of them get kinda boozy tasting, but they are high ABV and it works

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I really like a lot of the stuff I've have from them. Yeti is fantastic, and their Hercules DIPA is one of my favorite beers ever. :yes:

Some of them get kinda boozy tasting, but they are high ABV and it works

High ABV + high altitude = FUN

I loved visiting Great Divide in 2012. The place was absolutely jam-packed at 2pm on a frickin' Wednesday. Denver is awesome.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Word on the street is that we should start seeing a new "enjoy by" hit the stores today. Also looks like TG is doing a lot of bottling today so probably next week for delivery.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha

Next Glass is available on the Google Play store for Android now.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Next Glass is available on the Google Play store for Android now.

One thing that's kind of annoying with this app is that the recommendations(Discover) have no clue whether the beer is available in your state. It's still early so I'm going to keep putting beers in there to see how it does. It also looks like they are having some performance issues today with all the new people on board.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
As an example, the beers makers that come up on my discover list first are:

Shipyard
Blue Point
Legend
New Holland
Evil Twin
Caldera
Flying Dog
Anchor
Captain Lawrence
Pyramid
Lazy Magnolia
Laughing Dog
High Water
Abita
Heavy Seas

There are about 5 of those that we can get in Iowa. I also don't get how they come up with this list. It lists Samuel Adams Rebel IPA as on the list but then when I click on it, it gives the expected score as 59%, which isn't very high. I would think there would be a way to only list beers that are over a certain %.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
One thing that's kind of annoying with this app is that the recommendations(Discover) have no clue whether the beer is available in your state. It's still early so I'm going to keep putting beers in there to see how it does. It also looks like they are having some performance issues today with all the new people on board.

Agree it would be a huge enhancement to filter on geographical availability. However, that would probably be extremely difficult to maintain with any amount of reasonable accuracy. Not impossible, but very challenging.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron