New "Big 12" TV Deal will be Substantial...

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Check the link from the Sports Business Daily FSN is going to increase their payout from $19.5 M to $130-140 M. The new contract would start in the '12-13 season. ESPN will not reduce their $60 M annual payout.

So...the Big 12 stands to make around $200 million JUST in TV revenue annually starting in 2012-2013. And it is split between 10 schools instead of 12.

When you add in the other Big 12 generators (BCS and NCAA tourney appearances) Iowa State will probably double and possibly triple the revenue generated from the conference.

Last edited:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Does anyone know when the new deal will be signed? I don't think all 10 schools will be on board until we get this in ink.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Does anyone know when the new deal will be signed? I don't think all 10 schools will be on board until we get this in ink.

...FSN has told Big 12 officials that it would increase its annual payout to as much as $130-$140M per year. It currently pays $19.5M per year for the cable TV rights, a deal that ends following the '11-12 season.

CIVILCY

May 21, 2009
Since they are paying more money and there are less teams does that mean we are more likely to get on tv?

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames
OK, so now we know how big the carrots had to be to dangle in front of the beast. We know who supplied the carrots.

So, my questions are:

How long before the beast is hungry again?

How big will the carrots have to be to satisfy the beast?

Who can supply that many big carrots?

:confused:

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
Check the link from the Sports Business Daily FSN is going to increase their payout from $19.5 M to $130-140 M. The new contract would start in the '12-13 season. ESPN will not reduce their $60 M annual payout.

So...the Big 12 stands to make around $200 million JUST in TV revenue annually starting in 2012-2013. And it is split between 10 schools instead of 12.

When you add in the other Big 12 generators (BCS and NCAA tourney appearances) Iowa State will probably double and possibly triple the revenue generated from the conference.

Assuming Texas agrees to share equally with the north schools, ISU might get their $14 million from this but I don't see Texas saying lets split this $200 million 10 ways?

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Since they are paying more money and there are less teams does that mean we are more likely to get on tv?

Odds are if the TV windows stay the same (which they assuredly would), I-State would increase its chance to be on TV (5 conference football games instead of 6) which would also increase revenue earned and exposure for that matter.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Hhmmm, I wonder if this will happen?

"As part of its proposed deal, FSN has asked to take control of the conference's third-tier rights that are currently controlled by rights holders IMG, ISP and Learfield, sources said. These rights include radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage. It is not known when these rights will be available. "

For it to make business sense for FSN you would think that it would.

CycloneChris

Jan 28, 2009
Chicago suburbs
What is the effect on revenue from this part of the story?

As part of its proposed deal, FSN has asked to take control of the conference's third-tier rights that are currently controlled by rights holders IMG, ISP and Learfield, sources said. These rights include radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage. It is not known when these rights will be available.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Assuming Texas agrees to share equally with the north schools, ISU might get their $14 million from this but I don't see Texas saying lets split this $200 million 10 ways?

They won't, but if it works like it does now, half of the TV money is split evenly (so 100 million/10=$10 million per school), the other half depends on how many times schools are on TV. Texas and OU would be on more national games you would assume so they would get a bigger percentage of the 2nd half of the $$$, but I-State would still get a cut (likely more than $5 million).