New coach for Cinci?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Anyone hear any rumors yet?
Do you think they will promote from within or do a full search?
Is Kelly taking any of his assistants with him?
Who is the interim HC for the bowl game?

I am curious what the downhill affects of the ND hiring will be.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Let me be the first to put Coach Mac out there. He get's mentioned for every single job including Little All American opening so why not cinci also. Mac for Cincinatti.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Saul Rhodes
saulrhodes.jpg

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa

I thought we had already decided it was CPR? :wink:

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

hopefully you weren't wanting to have a serious discussion on who might be a good candidate there.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
With Kevin Sumlin's having withdrawn his name from consideration, there appear to be three primary targets of athletic director Mike Thomas, who is expected to move quickly: Central Michigan's Butch Jones, Temple's Al Golden and East Carolina's Skip Holtz. As we've mentioned previously, Jones seems to be by far the best fit.
College Football Rumors - Rumor Central -NCAA - ESPN

I've also heard that Kerry Coombs (I think he's the DC at Cincy right now) is the only other real option right now, and some look at him as the favorite.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Interim coach for the bowl game will be Kelly's assistant coach and OC I believe. As far as names, I heard that they were interviewing Sumlin. I'm pretty sure they are looking to hire out and not promote within. Who knows, but Butch Jones might be a good one to go after.

Edit: 'arch80 found a legitimate "new" link before I posted.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Interim coach for the bowl game will be Kelly's assistant coach and OC I believe. As far as names, I heard that they were interviewing Sumlin. I'm pretty sure they are looking to hire out and not promote within. Who knows, but Butch Jones might be a good one to go after.

Edit: 'arch80 found a legitimate "new" link before I posted.

Quinn is the asst coach/OC that is coaching through the bowl, and then most likely going to ND to be OC. Supposedly he doesn't want the Cincy job and wants to go with Kelly (they've been together for 21 years I think).
Butch Jones went to CMU after Kelly went to Cincy. Everyone has said he's a logical and good choice for Cincy since he continued what Kelly did and kept improving.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Sumerlin declined to interview. I've heard that Holtz and Jones have or will interview and the Temple coach has said he won't interview for jobs untill after his bowl game

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
Skip Holtz is what I think because he's a proven winner and it would give him an opportunity to coach in a BCS conference.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Expect Cincinnati’s search to replace Brian Kelly as head football coach to wrap up this week.
The top candidates appear to be East Carolina coach Skip Holtz and Central Michigan coach Butch Jones.
Jones is expected to interview on Tuesday, while Holtz also could talk to Cincinnati early this week. Bearcat offensive coordinator Jeff Quinn, who will coach the team in the Sugar Bowl, has interviewed for the job.
A decision at Cincinnati may impact how soon Marshall hires a coach. The top candidate is Jones. Some outlets have reported that Jones has taken the Marshall job, but that is inaccurate. But if Jones gets the Cincinnati job, Marshall may be in scramble mode. Florida State offensive line coach Rick Trickett has interviewed. Other possible Marshall candidates are Wake Forest defensive coordinator Brad Lambert, ex-Marshall coach Bob Pruett and interim head coach/defensive coordinator Rick Minter.