Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
STLtoday - Prep Sports - Football

FOOTBALL RECRUITING NOTEBOOK
DeSmet tight end is bound for Iowa State
By Nate Latsch
SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH​
12/14/2007

The weather didn't cooperate for Kurt Hammerschmidt's first official visit.

When the DeSmet senior tight end traveled to Iowa State last weekend, he found snow on the ground in Ames and temperatures that dropped into the single digits and felt even colder.

But he liked it anyway. A couple days later, Hammerschmidt committed to Iowa State and became the third DeSmet senior to commit to a Division I school this year.

"It was cold, but I liked it a lot," he said. "The players were great. The coaches were superb. Every single one of them had a smile on their face. … It seems like the perfect school for me."

The 6-foot-6, 235-pound senior got his first scholarship offer from the Cyclones early last month.

At that time, he had interest from Iowa, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Air Force, Army, Miami-Ohio and Ball State.

He said recently that Arkansas State, Eastern Illinois, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois and Northern Iowa have shown interest.

Hammerschmidt said he was recruited to play either tight end or defensive end.

He had seven catches for 87 yards this season. He was also credited with 30 tackles and four sacks.

CAHOKIA'S DAVIS MAKES COMMITMENT

Cahokia tight end London Davis said late last month that he would be switching his commitment from Missouri to Illinois. After an official visit to Champaign last weekend, Davis told the Illini coaches of that decision.

When Davis soured on the Tigers, he found an appealing option at Illinois.

"I feel like I can go to Illinois and play right away as a tight end," he said last month.

OAKVILLE'S MCCORD LIKES THREE SCHOOLS

Oakville tight end Brandon McCord is looking at three schools: Missouri-Rolla, Northwestern and Air Force. The 6-7, 230-pounder said he does not have scholarship offers from those schools.

McCord had 11 receptions for 141 yards this season.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I like to see the staff taking talent and athletes for recruits. Let them get on campus and see where they can play. Not what their HS coaches decide.
How mant times in the past have we recruited guys that fit only one position.

No thanks.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Noone had heard of Franklin before he signed last year. It did seem he played more defense, perhaps they ran an option attack.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I bet that Shepp might enjoy just having to get a kid "ripped" instead of having to add 30-40+ lbs. Just cut off some fat? if he has much and replace it with muscle and he's pretty good sized.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
sounds like his high school produces a good crop of d1 players. perhaps the coaches are trying to set up a relationship for future prospects as well.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
Kurt Hammerschmidt?

what, were the names Thor Ericksson or Wolfgang Von Hoffmeier already taken?:smile:

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
De Smit is a private school here in StL that generally is pretty competitive in most sports. A real good friend of mine is a De Smit alum. Kinda Cool. :)

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I like to see the staff taking talent and athletes for recruits. Let them get on campus and see where they can play. Not what their HS coaches decide.
How mant times in the past have we recruited guys that fit only one position.

No thanks.

That's a new criticism for me to hear.

NoHawk4Life

Nov 7, 2007
Chi Town
I don't know about anyone else, but Im not going to get excited or even waste any time thinking this kid could be good when he is only a 1 star recruit.. That is something that the "old" ISU fans used to do.... Most of the time when they are 1 star, they dont turn out to be play makers or even see time on the field.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Do far we are picking up several 1 and 2 star people - the acerage stars have been going down. A couple players are ranked by position, but most of them are not. It loos like a McC #59 class only with more speed. Coaches will teach them the skills. Our staff has to be good coaches because the recruiting is getting tougher in Texas.

NoHawk4Life

Nov 7, 2007
Chi Town
I agree completely.. but if we dont start looking at other people or trying to get others.. then chizik will have all the same problem that danny mac had... you got about 3-4 actual talented people trying to make things happen with 7 other guys who just are out there to run through the motions.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Hammerschmidt is finally in the CR database. Interesting, looks like a guy with a good frame and athleticism. I suppose if he's needed at tight end, he'll play as a true frosh, otherwise he'll have a year to gain muscle and settle in somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about the stars, either. By signing day Rivals will have tossed on a couple of stars to those guys currently without, just because they signed with a Big XII school.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I'm not a track fan, so can someone tell me how good/bad these stats are for track. Also keeps in mind he's doing this at 6'6" and 235 lbs. These are two events he did at one track meet.

Long jump
Hammerschmidt, Kurt Desmet 18-09.50 ft. 5.72m

Triple jump
Hammerschmidt, Kurt Desmet 39-01.00 ft. 11.91m