New Commit-Matt Blair type?

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Someone eluded on another site about the new Iowa State commit being a Matt Blair type of player. Both football and basketball. Matt Blair was 6-4, 200lb+ linebacker for Iowa State who went on to star for the Minnesota Vikings. His intramural team was made up of football players and played the Iowa State Varsity in a game. Blair's team won. He was unstoppable. Could stuff with ease, quick and had it all. I don't know if the new guy is in his catagory, but great to see this type of athlete come to Iowa State.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
It certainly would be interesting if we got another Matt Blair type. I had season tickerts then and watched Matts career. He was all over the field and really "stuck" the ball receiver/carrier. When Johnny Majors was asked what position Matt played, he said Matt played "Monster Back". When asked where that position lined up, Johnny said "anywhere he wants to." :yes:

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
I didn't have season tickets but I went to every game I could and when the defense was on the field I always watched Matt Blair. He was one of if not the best player ever at ISU.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Bud Grant certainly thought Blair was the best to ever come out of Iowa State. He asked if I could think of another Viking player that was so dominant that they had to change the rules because of him. Blair holds blocked kick records that will never be broken.
Bud also commented that he was equally impressed with Matt as a person.

BuzzBuzzBuzz

Dec 1, 2007
AMES
A Matt Blair comparison should not be carelessly thrown about. He is the most dominant player to grace the field at ISU...

I would think if we had such a player in our midst, he would show up riding a giant lion and blinding beams of light would radiate from him.

Sorry, but this person definitely HAS to be a 5 star recruit. Until then, we should not blaspheme his name!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I saw Matt at a spring football game, several years after he retired. He was wearing a tank top, and looked like he could step out on the field and still give lessons on how it's done.

The pastor of my church at home was on that basketball team with Blair, Ike Harris, etc. What he told me was that they played before a varsity game. I asked if it was true that Matt could put a quarter on top of the backboard...

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw the title to this thread. IF we can get a linebacker anywhere near the likes of Matt Blair it will allow Coach Bolt to do whatever he wants on defense.
I played some golf a few times with Matt and his good friend Larry "Big Daddy" Hunt when Blair would come visit Larry in Ames and he always looked like he could step right on the field even a few years after retirement.
If you are into photography at all, Matt was very interested in the hobby and he bought a bunch of equipment for ISU to use in photography classes. He also owned a trucking company in Minnesota.

Well, anyway, seeing his name in conjunction with a recruit has a smile on my face!!

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Matt Blair was a two ton man-mountain who could palm a medicine ball!

He once punched a hole in a cow just to see who was coming up the road.

Blair ranked 18th in the AP College Football Pool.

I once saw him scissor kick Angela Landsbury.

Did I ever tell you about the time Blair took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can't find one. Finally Blair takes me to a vacant lot and says, 'Here we are.' We sat there for a year and a half and sure enough someone constructs a bar around us. The day they opened we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burned the place to the ground. Blair yelled over the roar of the flames, 'Always leave things the way you found em!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Matt Blair was a two ton man-mountain who could palm a medicine ball!

He once punched a hole in a cow just to see who was coming up the road.

Blair ranked 18th in the AP College Football Pool.

I once saw him scissor kick Angela Landsbury.

Did I ever tell you about the time Blair took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can't find one. Finally Blair takes me to a vacant lot and says, 'Here we are.' We sat there for a year and a half and sure enough someone constructs a bar around us. The day they opened we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burned the place to the ground. Blair yelled over the roar of the flames, 'Always leave things the way you found em!

Is this stolen from the Chuck Norris website?...LOL

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Chase Harper (just a guess) is no Matt Blair--but he might be a nice Stevie Johnson. I always wished Stevie had played four years of football. Really nice guy.