New wrestling facility put on hold - Jamie Pollard statement

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
So now that the Big 10 and SEC are in cahoots.... are you now MORE likely to watch their games? Or are you sayin "Eff them.... never watchin them again?"

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I think they should sell alcohol, simply because it's an amenity people expect in a modern sports venue and we need to do everything we can to get and keep butts in seats, because I fear that's going to be a bigger challenge as the gap between the haves and have-nots grows.

But it isn't going to save a sport or fund a building project.

Iowa State isn’t exactly having a problem with ticket sales so the point about butts in the seats is pretty moot.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I don't know if all the B1G/SEC teams will keep up either. The hoks are delaying the baseball field improvements they had planned. The lower tier teams in these leagues will be impacted too.
Their baseball field issue was the dude from the Des Moines area that had committed large funds, but turns out he was a huge fraud and scammed all sorts of people. His name escapes me at the moment.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
We had far better attendance even in our bad years than plenty of other programs who’d have the same record.

Making the case that the athletic department should take its ticket-buying fan base for granted and not worry about amenities or customer service is certainly an opinion.

FDISU

Sep 11, 2019
There's absolutely no way that this isn't something they've taken into consideration. Too much money riding on it to let something like projected viewership slip past their notice. If the Big 10/SEC move forward with the Big 2, it will be because they have solid data backing the decision. They're definitely not dumb. You don't drop a nuke on the college sports landscape without being very sure that you're going to come out the other side in as good or better of a position.
I'm not so sure about that. As someone who has worked in market research and has seen companies screw up their decision-making over and over, I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 10/SEC/ESPN/Fox are basing their decisions as much on their own feeling of self-importance or "Too big to fail" as on solid data.

FDISU

Sep 11, 2019
Jamie has talked about that recently too. I do believe we will see a day when the men’s Olympic sports get mostly cut and the women’s Olympic sports compete in the MVC. Cuts down on travel and we actually might see a bump in attendance at softball and soccer when they play more local teams.

Unfortunately I think there will be a day when football, basketball, and wrestling are the only 3 male sports left at Iowa State
And that would address the travel problem too of athletes in all of the non-revenue sports making trips across three time zones from WVU to BYU or UCF to Utah during the middle of the week.

FDISU

Sep 11, 2019
These people added Rutgers not long ago, which is now a huge negative because markets don’t matter anymore, viewers do. Let’s not pretend they know what they’re doing lol.
Plus, nobody except Rutgers alumni are Rutgers fans. If they added Rutgers in order to capture the New York market, that probably didn't succeed.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Plus, nobody except Rutgers alumni are Rutgers fans. If they added Rutgers in order to capture the New York market, that probably didn't succeed.

It succeeded greatly. The B1G didn't care about how many people actually watched. The whole goal was to expand into big TV markets (NY/NJ and DC) and shoehorn BTN onto lower/basic cable tiers and then charge everybody for it.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Not sure I'd be spending big money on any non-revenue sports right now. They may very well not exist in 10 years.
10 years seems optimistic. I think with the way things are going we will be lucky to have many non rev sports in half that time, if things continue to go the way they are. No one is going to keep them around if they have to start paying millions to players, the byelaws will be changed and the number of sports required will be reduced.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
How much is a free education, room and board, tutoring, nutrition, medical coverage..etc etc worth, not to mention all the other perks they get. I hate it when people say these players have gotten nothing for all these years.

Maybe they want to pay my daughter's bill if they think it is nothing.

By my estimation they are getting $150K plus in free stuff during their playing career, as a very conservative estimate, and that is at ISU, at other schools around the country it is a hell of a lot more.

I am not against paying players etc if they actually put rules in place for it, (the NIL and transfer wild west is not good with no rules being enforced) but I would never say they have not gotten anything in the past.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
How much is a free education, room and board, tutoring, nutrition, medical coverage..etc etc worth, not to mention all the other perks they get. I hate it when people say these players have gotten nothing for all these years.

Maybe they want to pay my daughter's bill if they think it is nothing.

By my estimation they are getting $150K plus in free stuff during their playing career, as a very conservative estimate, and that is at ISU, at other schools around the country it is a hell of a lot more.

I am not against paying players etc if they actually put rules in place for it, (the NIL and transfer wild west is not good with no rules being enforced) but I would never say they have not gotten anything in the past.
At least that is true for Football, Men's & Womenn's BB. They get full rides. Wrestling is 9.9 for a full roster.

Reactions: 4everClone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Past SAs deserve zero. They agreed to a set of rules. Just because those rules changed 5-10 years after they're done doesn't entitle them to anything retroactive.

Maybe current/future "scholarship" SAs should be on the hook for at least part of their university bills. Everyone wants to play the "treat them like all other students" card. Fine. You can have a job (sports) in college, and use your paycheck to pay your own bills. Just like all other students.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
At least that is true for Football, Men's & Womenn's BB. They get full rides. Wrestling is 9.9 for a full roster.
I have a feeling if they keep the non revenue sports around, the pay will be handled similarly for those as the scholarships etc are. It is hard to believe that there wont be limits on how much and how many players get paid in all sports.

But at this point who the hell knows, it feels like no one has a clue or is really in control outside maybe the SEC and B1G, even they are just going along with how everything following all the lawsuits have shaken out.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
There's absolutely no way that this isn't something they've taken into consideration. Too much money riding on it to let something like projected viewership slip past their notice. If the Big 10/SEC move forward with the Big 2, it will be because they have solid data backing the decision. They're definitely not dumb. You don't drop a nuke on the college sports landscape without being very sure that you're going to come out the other side in as good or better of a position.
I’ve watched Hollywood, another multi billion dollar industry consistently miss the audience for all their projects the last few years. Acting like a bunch of old dudes that still think linear TV is the future are master minds is likely pretty far from the truth.