New Oskaloosa brewery steal Peace Tree's beer name?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Maybe its just me, but seems like a tad bit of over-reaction by Peace Tree. The whole "No Coast" phrase is not in any way unique to them, and the term was around long before they labeled their IPA with it. To me, they cant really complain when "no coast" was used in the New Glarus IPA, and they still used it.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Agree. Coasting being an intergral part of the fermentation process, its like getting mad over the use of the term high gravity. If you are beer savy you use the nomenclature...

• Agree
Reactions: cc1091 and ripvdub

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
With so many breweries and so many beers there is bound to be some overlap in naming. They could have been more clever in calling out this oskaloosa brewer and it would have been way more effective

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Peace Tree could have trade marked No Coast I guess, other wise if they are not ripping off the beer formula for No Coast what can they really do?

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Peace Tree could have trade marked No Coast I guess, other wise if they are not ripping off the beer formula for No Coast what can they really do?
Peace Tree has common law rights to the trademark as soon as they begin to use it in commerce. They don't need to register it.

I don't blame PT for being pissy.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Musco HQ is in Muscatine. Been to the plant a hundred times. They also have McDonalds in Osky, but I don't think they 're responsible for the empire. Osky is only topped in ******** per capita by Pella.

Musco HQ is in Osky. Manufacturing is in Muscatine.

Reactions: SimpsonClone

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Oskaloosa also has Julie's Cafe which has a kickass Hot Beef Sandwich and a good tenderloin. Also, I enjoy Peace Tree, but I think they are being a bit babyish here, and I love No Coast. The regular and the Grapefruit deal.

AltoonaFish

Aug 24, 2014
Musco HQ is in Muscatine. Been to the plant a hundred times. They also have McDonalds in Osky, but I don't think they 're responsible for the empire. Osky is only topped in ******** per capita by Pella.

Are you from Knoxville,ottumwa or eddyville or some other dirtball town?

Reactions: tman24

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I don't have any love for osky, but if we're going to argue about the town in a beer thread we should at least give them credit for the Peanut Pub which might be the next craft brew pub in the state.

Also this seems really petty by Peace Tree.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
So wouldn't New Glarus have already established common law rights? Sounds like they were using it first.

In her mind it was ok for them to use it because she considered New Glarus' usage a sub-title of the beer, so it was used in a different context.

You would think this new brewery could use the same argument, in that it's the name of their brewery and not a beer

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron