New PA Announcer

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Don’t know much about him but glad they aren’t doing a younger person. I had fears about the Iowa nice guy ;)

Either way, it will be different without the two old guys.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Gary did both football and men's basketball for many years before switching to just hoops in ~2001.
If you watch any games on YouTube from the early 90s/late 80s, it sounds like cyclone stadium had the most god awful PA system invented. I’ve heard cheap bull horns that sounded better. Was it that bad in person or did the tv broadcast just make it sound worse than it was?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Anyone care to comment? I am not familiar with his work, maybe there are some I-Cubs fans who can weigh in.

Hammen announced as new announcer
He is great. He has been Urbandale’s primary announcer for a long time and puts the others to shame. I hope he continues some of the Urbandale stuff too but it sounds like he won’t. It will be a great loss for Urbandale.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If you watch any games on YouTube from the early 90s/late 80s, it sounds like cyclone stadium had the most god awful PA system invented. I’ve heard cheap bull horns that sounded better. Was it that bad in person or did the tv broadcast just make it sound worse than it was?

It was a little rough. But that was before PA announcers became hype men, and before the days of canned music. All you needed was something relatively simple that could amplify a normal-volume speaking voice and not do much else.

Reactions: StateThrowdown