New Parking Lot Near the Stadium?

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Driving by Jack Trice today, I noticed temporary fencing (similar to the type seen at construction sites) being put up and surrounding the intramural softball diamonds / grassy areas / football fields east of the stadium off University. It looked like they were fencing off nearly that entire area. Does anyone know what work is going to be done there?

My initial assumption is that they're going to be installing parking. I hope not, as the flood control and other threads make clear that all we do as a society is constantly put in more pavement (since when do you see pavement get removed) and I just don't think it's worth it for the 6 or 7 football games a year to install all that blacktop heating up our planet. That's also a flood-prone area and in the floodplain.

That said, I also understand how the AD might be extremely frustrated given the heavy rains the past few years causing them to close grass lots and how that created problems for people. I just don't think the benefits are worth the drawbacks if it is new parking. I'm also sentimental for the intramurals I played on that field back in the day;-)

Anyway, just curious. Sorry if this topic has already been addressed in another thread. I couldn't find anything.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm guessing this

https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/plannin...ary.asp?CP_Number=CP002439&Work_order=WG10858

THIS PROJECT WILL RENOVATE THE EXISTING SOUTHEAST RECREATION COMPLEX LOCATED EAST OF UNIVERSITY BOULEVARD BETWEEN SOUTH 4TH AND SOUTH 16TH STREETS. THIS RENOVATION OF THE EXISTING COMPLEX WILL ILLUMINATE THE PLAYING FIELDS TO LIGHTING LEVELS RECOMMENDED FOR SPORT CLUBS AND AMATEUR FACILITIES, PROVIDE IRRIGATION, IMPROVE FIELD DRAINAGE, PLAYING SURFACE DURABILITY, AND MAINTAINABILITY.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Put a nice Pond in the middle for water retention if really concerned. I know they've had plans but hadn't heard they had actually moved on anything. They must lose a lot of money from unsold passes to grass lots that get closed and they lose $20 / car.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
TQYR.jpg

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2018/07/26/preview

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
See there is more parking! :D

Edit:
The plan reconfigures and renovates about 40 acres on the east side of University Boulevard and adds an irrigation system, lights and restrooms. Six softball fields, eight sand volleyball courts and about a dozen soccer/football fields would be distributed between north and south sections, separated by about 650 parking spots (grass and gravel) and a service building.
Wow! I didn't realize it was adding that much parking. This is great for the students as well!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
See there is more parking! :D

Edit:
separated by about 650 parking spots (grass and gravel) and a service building.
Wow! I didn't realize it was adding that much parking. This is great for the students as well!

In all likelihood, once the project is finished, the "added" parking will be the new G6 (since current G6 will go away) and a new G7. The current G7 may be earmarked for additional RV spaces down the road.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
In all likelihood, once the project is finished, the "added" parking will be the new G6 (since current G6 will go away) and a new G7. The current G7 may be earmarked for additional RV spaces down the road.
As a person who does not have, nor never wants an RV, I don't understand the push for RV parking. I am sure it is more comfortable for folks who travel and have the extra time to stay in the lots. I wonder if the RV space could make more money simply by providing more car parking? Maybe the donation level and RV parking pass cost makes for more athletic department profit. It would be interesting to see those details.

Plus, that will be a great complex!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I wonder if the RV space could make more money simply by providing more car parking? Maybe the donation level and RV parking pass cost makes for more athletic department profit. It would be interesting to see those details.

The charge for an RV space really should equal the number of regular car spaces they take up. I don't think it does now, unless you really try to shoehorn the math by including donor level and cost for the pass.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

So maybe G6 will be the parking in the middle of the new complex? Then G7 will still be in the grass further east? Not sure when this is planned to be completed but sounds like it will impact football parking for 2020.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So maybe G6 will be the parking in the middle of the new complex? Then G7 will still be in the grass further east? Not sure when this is planned to be completed but sounds like it will impact football parking for 2020.

The entire renovation is scheduled to be done Sept. 2020. We know that current G6 is going to go away based on the drawings. It's possible that the new parking areas will be completed and accessible before the fields are fully finished. So, you may have a new G6 and a new G7 in 2020, given that the projected number of gravel and grass spots in the renovated complex are roughly the same as the current G6/G7 offerings.

That leaves several doors open for 2020-21:
(1) keep the current G7 as a contingency if the renovation doesn't finish on time
(2) continue selling the current G7 as car parking
(3) revamp the current G7 into RV parking

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
The entire renovation is scheduled to be done Sept. 2020. We know that current G6 is going to go away based on the drawings. It's possible that the new parking areas will be completed and accessible before the fields are fully finished. So, you may have a new G6 and a new G7 in 2020, given that the projected number of gravel and grass spots in the renovated complex are roughly the same as the current G6/G7 offerings.

That leaves several doors open for 2020-21:
(1) keep the current G7 as a contingency if the renovation doesn't finish on time
(2) continue selling the current G7 as car parking
(3) revamp the current G7 into RV parking

Did they ever come out with drawings of the RV lots near G7? With the walkway over the road to the stadium

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Did they ever come out with drawings of the RV lots near G7? With the walkway over the road to the stadium

Only one, with a caption for future RV parking and an easement outline for a potential pedestrian bridge.

Help Support Us

Become a patron