New Pizza place in Ames

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Opening March 3rd in Sommerset (I think).

Home Page

Take a look at the pictures link on the left. Wow. I can't say that Great Plains should be worried, but Jeff's and Geangelo's better look out.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Considering Jeff's location right by campus, I don't think they have too much to worry about...it's the most convenient, and they milk the late-night crowds for all their worth.

But that stuffed pizza sure does look amazing!

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Considering Jeff's location right by campus, I don't think they have too much to worry about...it's the most convenient, and they milk the late-night crowds for all their worth.

But that stuffed pizza sure does look amazing!

Yeah, Jeff's does have the location thing going for it. I hope that they keep it up. I'm not really a fan of their pizza, but the smotherella sticks and their sandwiches are awesome.

The Black Market Pizza will be in a nice location too, though. North Ames is growing pretty fast. And there's not much for restaurants on that side of town. Pretty much just The Cafe unless you want to drive to Grand. Sounds like it is going where the old wine store was.

You're right about the pizza...that makes me hungry even at 9am.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
There was a news story on this place awhile back (I think). The owner was laid off and decided to open is own place rather than try to find a job in this horrible economy. So needless this guys got a lot riding on this place.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
i wonder it will be a dine in restaurant, or delivery only. I didn't see anything on the website, but I could have just missed it.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah, Jeff's does have the location thing going for it. I hope that they keep it up. I'm not really a fan of their pizza, but the smotherella sticks and their sandwiches are awesome.

The Black Market Pizza will be in a nice location too, though. North Ames is growing pretty fast. And there's not much for restaurants on that side of town. Pretty much just The Cafe unless you want to drive to Grand. Sounds like it is going where the old wine store was.

you dont like their pizza? boy you must be nuttier'n a squirrel turd. i had the gyro pizza the other day, and if anything it is at least different than any other pizza youll find around here. the specialty pizzas are great (loaded baked potato, gyro, hot wing pizza, etc.) and the rest of the food is even better. the other day my buddy had some sort of lamb sandwhich was amazazing, and the wings are surprisingly good for a pizza joint (i believe the meat is injected, which is why).

that being said, you cant have enough quality pizza joints. and this will be nice being in somerset, because it is a short hop from the UV ghetto.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
you dont like their pizza? boy you must be nuttier'n a squirrel turd. i had the gyro pizza the other day, and if anything it is at least different than any other pizza youll find around here. the specialty pizzas are great (loaded baked potato, gyro, hot wing pizza, etc.) and the rest of the food is even better. the other day my buddy had some sort of lamb sandwhich was amazazing, and the wings are surprisingly good for a pizza joint (i believe the meat is injected, which is why).

that being said, you cant have enough quality pizza joints. and this will be nice being in somerset, because it is a short hop from the UV ghetto.

When did Jeff's open? I don't remember it. Gyro pizza and baked potato sound good.

I know this is slightly off topic, but are there any Home Team Pizza's around anymore?

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I've had Jeff's a couple times, and it is very good. Big fan of their "clones."

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Sounds like it is going where the old wine store was.

I think it's on the south side of the street down the block from The Cafe, where the short-lived deli used to be.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I had Jeff's one time and was not impressed. Not enough cheese and too floppy also slightly burnt on top. However, we ordered half cheese and half pepperoni so maybe the speciality pizzas are better. Going to try Geangelo's for the first time this week.
And, yes those pictures look amazing...those stuffed pizzas look like they would suffice as floatation devices.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames

I agree that north Ames has plenty of holes to fill - lots of homes, not much business. A new business in that area will do great things for the existing businesses there that seem to struggle a bit. However I'm not sure about opening another pizza place in Ames, could be a bit of a flooded market already.

That being said, I wish these guys the best- love to see new stuff come in and love to have another option for dining in Ames!

Did the wine store close for sure? It looks like it's a link on the site- like they're advertising them as a fellow Summerset business?