New Refrigerator Recommendations

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I have a refrigerator that is on its last leg so I am now going down the road of searching out a new replacement. I have been always partial to General Electric appliances mostly because there is a GE repairman in the area if we ever need something fixed and he is very knowledgeable to give pointers to me to fix things myself if need be. Having said that I am also open to looking at different brands if they are superior.

Currently I have a 25.9 cuft french door unit and would really like to go larger and stay with the french door style. Would like to keep ice and water in the door as well. Only restrictions I really have is the height of the unit (must be 70" or shorter) and I would like it to be white- white is the only color of appliance we have in the kitchen.

Have at it boys- I know I can count on the brethren of CF to give solid recommendations and advice on anything new that people are looking for!

TIA

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Not a Samsung. Nobody works on them. Sales people will lie to you and say they do. They’ll even give you examples. And then you call that company and ask, and yes, they work on Samsung. But then they show up, and they don’t work on French door Samsung. Don’t get a Samsung.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not a Samsung. Nobody works on them. Sales people will lie to you and say they do. They’ll even give you examples. And then you call that company and ask, and yes, they work on Samsung. But then they show up, and they don’t work on French door Samsung. Don’t get a Samsung.

We got a Samsung not long ago and it's been great. We need counter-depth so our options are limited, but were able to find a french door with pull out freezer at the bottom. Haven't had to worry about repairs yet, so I guess we'll see about getting someone to work on it but has a decent warranty.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yay! Another anecdotal evidence thread!

That said we've had a French Door LG for 7 years. Works like a charm, no issues, would buy again in a heartbeat.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
We got a Samsung not long ago and it's been great. We need counter-depth so our options are limited, but were able to find a french door with pull out freezer at the bottom. Haven't had to worry about repairs yet, so I guess we'll see about getting someone to work on it but has a decent warranty.
Ours was great for a few years, but then ice maker freezes over weekly now, and the compressor fan froze up recently. That’s how I know about finding service in the metro. The good news is it cost me nothing in the end as I YouTube’d and Macguyver’d that ****** back into health

• Agree
Reactions: KDcy

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Ours was great for a few years, but then ice maker freezes over weekly now, and the compressor fan froze up recently. That’s how I know about finding service in the metro. The good news is it cost me nothing in the end as I YouTube’d and Macguyver’d that ****** back into health

The ol' copper wire into the drip tube trick? If so, mine did the same thing. I did not like that fridge at all and left it with the house when we sold it. One of the doors wouldn't stay open properly and it vibrated constantly. No amount of leveling or placement would fix it.

Good riddance.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Lol, I figured all ice makers freeze over weekly after a few years. Good info though. We got a 10/5 warranty on the compressor so at least the part should be covered for the life of the unit.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls

I found this out the hard way.. bought a whole set of samsung. Had an issue with the dishwasher. There are no certified repairers in Iowa. It made the extra store warranty worthless because the claim had to be filed under the manufacturer warranty.

• Winner
Reactions: dosry5

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Our whirl pool died on us after 6 years which is apparently average. The sales guys, the repair guys and the internet seemed to give them good marks, so we went with that again. 2 years down...

I've heard bad stories about repairs on LG and Samsung. Especially if you don't live in a big city.

Reactions: Scott34

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
No French Door.....EVER.

****** leaked, was a pain the the ass the get anything out and didn't hold as much as I expected.

Stay away. Far away.

Frog

May 6, 2021
Weird, my reply disappeared. This is something I went through recently and believe I can provide value so going to write it again.

DONT BUY A LG! We had a French door counter depth LG and in a class action lawsuit with LG. It was fine for about a year then would have warming spells then be okay. It finally stopped cooling below 50 degrees completely late June. We called LG and out of warranty so they gave us nearest repair location that is in Cedar Rapids. We live near Quad Cities.

We called the CR place and talked to a nice guy. When we told him what was going on he asked us if an LG. He said he would certainly fix it but suggested we take the approximate $1,200. and put towards a Frigidaire. He said the compressor LG use are junk and we would have the same problem is a couple years again.

We have 36" tight space, had to be counter depth. I had to have the water/ice dispenser with crushed ice option and my wife had to have French doors. We talked to places and did our own research and decided on Whirlpool or GE. We bought a GE. Some things we like and some we don't but glad we bought it.

Inventory is scarce so be aware but we had to have S/S. White may be more readily available? We have a third fridge in machine shed so luckily used that until it came in.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We bought a Whirlpool french door uppers with the bottom freezer and middle produce drawers. We’ve had it for 3+ years now and have 0 complaints.

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
Weird, my reply disappeared. This is something I went through recently and believe I can provide value so going to write it again.

DONT BUY A LG! We had a French door counter depth LG and in a class action lawsuit with LG. It was fine for about a year then would have warming spells then be okay. It finally stopped cooling below 50 degrees completely late June. We called LG and out of warranty so they gave us nearest repair location that is in Cedar Rapids. We live near Quad Cities.

We called the CR place and talked to a nice guy. When we told him what was going on he asked us if an LG. He said he would certainly fix it but suggested we take the approximate $1,200. and put towards a Frigidaire. He said the compressor LG use are junk and we would have the same problem is a couple years again.

We have 36" tight space, had to be counter depth. I had to have the water/ice dispenser with crushed ice option and my wife had to have French doors. We talked to places and did our own research and decided on Whirlpool or GE. We bought a GE. Some things we like and some we don't but glad we bought it.

Inventory is scarce so be aware but we had to have S/S. White may be more readily available? We have a third fridge in machine shed so luckily used that until it came in.
We also had a French door LG and it failed after 18 months. After many service visits, phone calls (all documented) and emails, we finally got them to give us a full refund. Nebraska Furniture Mart in Clive wasn’t much help with the issue. LG service and customer service sucks. I will not buy another LG appliance.
We replaced the LG with a GE 3 years ago and it’s been good, but somewhat noisy at times.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Go with a Whirlpool. Very solid, reliable fridges. LG and Samsung have some really nice units available but also the brands that have the most problems.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Got a 42 year old Amana (bottom freezer) in the garage that is finally starting to die...

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Got a 42 year old Amana (bottom freezer) in the garage that is finally starting to die...
Seriously those older units are better. My parents church has an international harvester fridge from the 40s that still works.

Not very energy efficient, but built like a tank. Or tractor, as the case is here.

Reactions: mkadl