New Riot Buster?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I'll be just fine with more of these turning up in more communities around America at exactly the same time police forfeit qualified immunity and completely halt all no-knock warrants. Until then? Nope. Personally, I don't like where this country is headed, and I hope we turn it around. Fast.

As the New Mexico State Police and the Albuquerque Police Department have come under scrutiny in recent months for a rash of officer-involved shootings, the man who sets the tone for training police recruits in the state has instituted a curriculum that puts less restraint on officers in deciding when to use deadly force.

The New Mexican filed a request under the Inspection of Public Records Act for a copy the academy’s new curriculum, but Jones said he doesn’t plan to release it because criminals could use the tactics taught to cadets against them.

“I’ll burn them before you get them,” he told The New Mexican.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...cle_4ad9bdf1-f301-591c-ad09-e5fb6731c6d1.html
Please read that whole article.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
The point I was making was that even in small population rural areas that have low crime and have never had any major problems very bad things can still happen.
As I have said a couple times, a vehicle like this would be used when there is a barricaded shooter or armed suspect.

So then are you an advocate for general public being armed and trained in the use of firearms so that they can defend themselves during the average wait times for police response?

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
So then are you an advocate for general public being armed and trained in the use of firearms so that they can defend themselves during the average wait times for police response?
I support citizens being armed and protecting themselves 100%.

reaCY

Mar 21, 2014
I don't think it will happen unless weapons are expected at this local student uprising.

Its my experience that if you treat people a certain way you will get a certain result...manifest destiny.

Cant wait for the deranged John Rambo with PTSD to get worked up and test the capability of Story County.

Just a matter of time now.

Anyone see that blue meth?

:jimlad:

reaCY

Mar 21, 2014
I guess I don't recall the Ames PD to ever have an issue that they made a bigger deal than it needed to be. I guess pepper spraying people in 2009 to prevent a riot may have been an issue but it did its job. But it's not like anyone in Story County has abused their power yet, and it's not like one person can decide to take it out for a stroll

Were you there in 2009?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Even when they believe they are "protecting" themselves from the police?

No one is ever protecting themselves from the police. If they are shooting at the police, they are seriously sick and need help. And if they are putting the police in danger, they deserve whatever comes to them because the police are there for the protection of us citizens.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No one is ever protecting themselves from the police. If they are shooting at the police, they are seriously sick and need help. And if they are putting the police in danger, they deserve whatever comes to them because the police are there for the protection of us citizens.

Go back and read the post to which I responded. Then note the phrasing of my response. This comment of yours is somewhat out of context to the previous exchange.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Go back and read the post to which I responded. Then note the phrasing of my response. This comment of yours is somewhat out of context to the previous exchange.

No, I understand exactly what you are saying.

Me State believes all citizens should be armed. That included citizens that believe the police are "against" them. That's when things such as this MRAP can come in handy.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
But in the example he posited, there was no advance reason to believe an MRAP would be necessary. So how do you decide when to use this vehicle? After someone has already been shot? Or do you use it "just in case"? In which case, owning one not nearly as innocuous as we are supposed to believe.

reaCY

Mar 21, 2014
Nope, just commenting off of what was stated in the Veishea thread earlier from other posters.

Thank god I was too tired and sunburned to go out that night...a friends father who was out with the family in campustown was maced (sp?) in the face while trying to leave Welch Ave...its quite a few peoples opinions that the force put fourth was quite unnecessary and escalated the situation. If you believe that the police are always right in everything they do then you're just kidding yourself. We've got lawyers to thank for a lot of this too. During the Arizona riot this year an officer slammed a young girl to the ground while she was attempting to move her car...there's video check it out, not cool.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
But in the example he posited, there was no advance reason to believe an MRAP would be necessary. So how do you decide when to use this vehicle? After someone has already been shot? Or do you use it "just in case"? In which case, owning one not nearly as innocuous as we are supposed to believe.

I don't know when to use it. If there's a high school shooting, bring it out. A campus shooting, bring it out. A riot on campus and cops are getting injured, bring it on out. I doubt there's a specific case they are waiting to bring this bad boy out.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
More weapons make us more safe, so an armored vehicle should make us super safe, I say get two.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
In no way am I justifying the actions of the police, but 1) they were being attacked and 2) bottles are considered weapons in this scenario.

I don't think the tank was brought here to kill anyone. It's here to scare and stop bad things from happening. I'll be shocked if the tank ever actually hurts anyone.

VEISHA 2020:

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Story County has the highest sheriff per capita charge in the state of Iowa, meaning, if your small town doesn't have its own police department you are required by state law to pay a per capita charge to the sheriff for law enforcement. The town has no say in what the sheriff charges, and when your town has meetings with the sheriff about your concerns because his per capita is eating up a majority of your town budget, he responds by sending a letter to you and your insurance company telling you if you do not pay his fee officers will only respond to life threatening situations.

The Board of Supervisors in Story County are spineless when it comes to Little Big Man Sheriff. The last year I was on city council (I just got off, Thank God) they once again gave him a budget increase, the per capita went up again, and the county was too broke to buy gravel for secondary road maintenance.

Thus I struggle with the sheriff's need for anything that is above what he already has.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

""We weren't getting much cooperation early on in getting anyone to leave and you know, when we get the objects thrown at us, it gets pretty dangerous for the officers," said Police Cmdr. Geoff Huff."

This is where I can definitely sympathize with police (among many other situations). It is obviously a tough job where they see the very worst of society every day. With that said, there needs to be a focus among the leadership on making sure that narrow view doesn't get transposed onto the rest of us in the tactics and methods they support and use.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
""We weren't getting much cooperation early on in getting anyone to leave and you know, when we get the objects thrown at us, it gets pretty dangerous for the officers," said Police Cmdr. Geoff Huff."

This is where I can definitely sympathize with police (among many other situations). It is obviously a tough job where they see the very worst of society every day. With that said, there needs to be a focus among the leadership on making sure that narrow view doesn't get transposed onto the rest of us in the tactics and methods they support and use.

No officer EVER deserves to be put in harms way however I'm pretty sure that the riots before were due to them breaking up party's on hunt street and telling all of the people to go to campus town and I don't think they were that friendly in doing so.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
No officer EVER deserves to be put in harms way however I'm pretty sure that the riots before were due to them breaking up party's on hunt street and telling all of the people to go to campus town and I don't think they were that friendly in doing so.

Sooo let's go riot, tear **** up, and get people hurt?