New Sod advice

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Now I know why people pay extra to have your builder put in a sprinkler system. Moving around sprinklers, trying to get all of the new sod properly watered....it sucks, especially in high winds like we've been having.

Any advice from the experts on how to make sure my sod takes root and grows well? It was just put in this week. Should I start a fertilizer regimen with new sod? Am I screwed if my sprinklers don't cover every square inch of my new sod? Do any of you want to help with my water bill?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Now I know why people pay extra to have your builder put in a sprinkler system. Moving around sprinklers, trying to get all of the new sod properly watered....it sucks, especially in high winds like we've been having.

Any advice from the experts on how to make sure my sod takes root and grows well? It was just put in this week. Should I start a fertilizer regimen with new sod? Am I screwed if my sprinklers don't cover every square inch of my new sod? Do any of you want to help with my water bill?

Just water to beat hell. I live on a corner lot so I have a weird shaped lawn. I ended up getting a timer that automatically started at 5am and would water for 40 minutes. It had 3 heads so that I could power 4 sprinklers at once. If I remember correctly it's best to water in the morning. I didn't do anything except water it.

Once you start mowing don't cut it short.

It's been 2 years and after the first year I barely have to water now.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

soak the hell out of it for at least a week maybe two depending on on windy, hot, dry etc... after that whatever irrigation system you have will probably be okay...
The first week is crucial especially since the wind we have had lately

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
soak the hell out of it for at least a week maybe two depending on on windy, hot, dry etc... after that whatever irrigation system you have will probably be okay...
The first week is crucial especially since the wind we have had lately

The wind is killing me. I'm in a new development with not many houses around, so the wind is high anyway...then add this blow job mother nature has been giving us.........it's nearly impossible to get my sprinklers to hit every corner of the lawn now. I'm kind of obsessing about the sod, but dang, I don't want it to die on me--I'll feel Rocky when Mick died....

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The wind is killing me. I'm in a new development with not many houses around, so the wind is high anyway...then add this blow job mother nature has been giving us.........it's nearly impossible to get my sprinklers to hit every corner of the lawn now. I'm kind of obsessing about the sod, but dang, I don't want it to die on me--I'll feel Rocky when Mick died....

Get a timer and water the hell out of it in the morning. The wind will be down. Your water bill is going to kill you. Just be happy that you don't live in Grimes. There water is about double.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

hahaha well then get a hose in your hand and start watering my friend, those rinky dink sprinklers for homes will never get everything all the time... you dont have enough pressure in your system, and never will unless you build a pond and a pump system which is around 100 grand

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I bet my first year I spent 100 hours outside worrying about the lawn. I now have every kind of sprinkler made. I have the following:

The only one I didn't buy was the little tractor one.

Make sure you pay extra for the good hoses. They cost double but you'll thank yourself later.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
By sprinklers that can be connected in a line with hoses. You can run 3-4 sprinklers with one spigot if they can be connected in a line. The more sprinklers the better you can cover. You need to soak every square inch... honestly. Also, set the deck on your mower as high as it will go and let the grass grow the whole first season. It may look great mid-summer, but if you cut it too short you're screwed.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
By sprinklers that can be connected in a line with hoses. You can run 3-4 sprinklers with one spigot if they can be connected in a line. The more sprinklers the better you can cover. You need to soak every square inch... honestly. Also, set the deck on your mower as high as it will go and let the grass grow the whole first season. It may look great mid-summer, but if you cut it too short you're screwed.

Dude...this is not what I wanted to hear :no:

When I connect 2 or more sprinklers in line then the area they cover is greatly reduced. I expected some drop off....but this is a major drop off. I only have 2 sprinkler heads right now...guess I'll be heading to Home Depot tomorrow for at least one more and another hose. I need me a water stimulus package.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I bet my first year I spent 100 hours outside worrying about the lawn. I now have every kind of sprinkler made. I have the following:

The only one I didn't buy was the little tractor one.

Make sure you pay extra for the good hoses. They cost double but you'll thank yourself later.

I have one of the top ones, and two of the spike ones on bottom. 2 hoses, 2 outdoor spigots. You'd think this would be easier...

And water in the morning everyone says? I gotta work! How do the timers work? Pretty easy?