New Sod/Turf Care

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Just had our sod/turf placed on Tuesday of this week from Allendan Sod Farm (Assuming it is them as it was their trucks that delivered) and didn't know if any of the onsite ag/turf majors can provide insight to watering requirements, lawn care program, etc.

I've been watering the grass Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and have a tractor sprinkler going this morning and will check on it over the noon hour.

Just want to make sure I'm not under / over watering the lawn and how long I need to resume the constant watering of our new lawn.

TIA.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
Start off by making sure the sod and soil beneath it are good and soaked. You then want to keep the roots and soil moist but not soaking wet 24 hours a day until the turf has established itself. I'd also recommend smaller but more frequent feedings this year. (1/4 or 1/2 bag rate fertilizer on a more frequent basis). That will help the grass and root system establish itself before the summer heat and possible drought occur.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Start off by making sure the sod and soil beneath it are good and soaked. You then want to keep the roots and soil moist but not soaking wet 24 hours a day until the turf has established itself. I'd also recommend smaller but more frequent feedings this year. (1/4 or 1/2 bag rate fertilizer on a more frequent basis). That will help the grass and root system establish itself before the summer heat and possible drought occur.
Can you expand on this a bit? We got new sod last year and the company did an absolute botch job on it. Lawns aren't covered in our builders contract, so we were left with a crappy lawn with huge gaps between sod strips. We've attempted to fill those with topsoil, put out new seed, fertilized and its still struggling.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
What blizz said. When they put the sod down you should water it to the point its soggy and spongy. You need the roots to take. I'm not sure what the duration is but keep it moist (not spongy) for a couple of weeks I think. Your first water bill is going to be large.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
Can you expand on this a bit? We got new sod last year and the company did an absolute botch job on it. Lawns aren't covered in our builders contract, so we were left with a crappy lawn with huge gaps between sod strips. We've attempted to fill those with topsoil, put out new seed, fertilized and its still struggling.

Sounds like your sod dried out and shrunk. When they cut the sod at the sod farm the grass plant is losing most of it's root system. If you don't keep the grass and soil moist until the roots regrow, the plant can dry out and die easily.