New Staff

cyfanman

Feb 7, 2008
SW Iowa, Glenwood
Boy i sure like the look of this Football Staff. PR has put together what i think is a staff that will be around for a while. There's allot of talent in this Staff. I think it will show up on the field also. What do you think?:yes:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Just wait. I'm sure after we fail to win the big12 next year numerous fans on this site will call for all their heads.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Just wait. I'm sure after we fail to win the big12 next year numerous fans on this site will call for all their heads.

Good one--couldn't see that one coming. :jimlad: I didn't think this thread was about basketball.

Anyway, if we're successful, I really don't see Mr. Herman staying around too long. If his offense is good here, he'll be getting a hefty raise to go somewhere else--that's the nature of the beast at ISU.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Good one--couldn't see that one coming. :jimlad: I didn't think this thread was about basketball.

Anyway, if we're successful, I really don't see Mr. Herman staying around too long. If his offense is good here, he'll be getting a hefty raise to go somewhere else--that's the nature of the beast at ISU.

Someone had to say it.:biggrin:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Apparently you missed the conversations on this site from 2.5-3 years ago if you think this thread only has to do with basketball...

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Apparently you missed the conversations on this site from 2.5-3 years ago if you think this thread only has to do with basketball...

I guess I did. What did those conversations discuss? Barney Cotton? Chizik's Staff? Planes on a treadmill?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

The good thing about this is that he should actually have to do something good here before he leaves unlike some other coach who just sucked it up while he was here.
This will put us in a position to maybe give him a raise and keep him, or hire another excellent OC when he leaves.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Boy i sure like the look of this Football Staff. PR has put together what i think is a staff that will be around for a while. There's allot of talent in this Staff. I think it will show up on the field also. What do you think?

I'm with cyfanman on this one.

I originally liked the Chizik selection too, even though I wasn't sold on getting rid of McCarney quite as soon as the AD did it. But when Chizik started pulling in these red neck no nuthins from bumbleweed mississippi (or was it Louisiana), I really started to question the hire. And when Cheezhead lost ALL of the non conference games in the first season except the Iowa game, I knew we had a problem. What's more, when Cheeshead discovered that he could open up a 20 point halftime lead and still loose to Kansas only a week after his team couldn't come back from a 21 point defecit to lowly UNLV, I think at that point he knew he had a problem too.

If we are able to win 3 of 4 of our non-conference games, and at least 2 of our conference games, I will be happy. Of course, Chizik left the bar pretty low, so I won't complain if we can't even meet my lowly standard.

But I stray off topic: I think PR has done an excellent job of picking quality assistants. And if they find success and head off to the four winds to coach elsewhere, well... If it happens at Oklahoma, then it happens at ISU. Fat Man left OK to coach at KU. Chuch "it" Long left for San Diego (?) only to fail (ha ha). Stoopid's little brother(s) left for exile in the desert SW.

CC
ISU Alum 1990

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Boy i sure like the look of this Football Staff. PR has put together what i think is a staff that will be around for a while. There's allot of talent in this Staff. I think it will show up on the field also. What do you think?:yes:

Why do ISU fans place so much emphasis on a staff being "around for a while"?

We are talking college FB here...they call it a "coaching carousel" for a reason. If a HC stays 10 years that is a very, very, very long time (I think Spurrier was only at Florida for 11 for example). Assistant coach tenures tend to be much, much shorter than HC tenures...especially if you have hired good assistants...because they get chances to move up the ranks in other programs.

Frankly, the best programs in the country have a lot of staff turnover every year...go look at LSU, Alabama, USC, Florida, etc....you will see a lot of coaching turnover.

What will make me like the staff is them winning a lot of ball games. If we continue to win 2, 3, 4 games a year and we have no coaching turnover in the staff...that probably should tell you we have not hired a good staff...rather we have a weak staff. Does this not make sense to people?

I just don't get why we have so many place such importance on staff tenure.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I originally liked the Chizik selection too, even though I wasn't sold on getting rid of McCarney quite as soon as the AD did it.

But when Chizik started pulling in these red neck no nuthins from bumbleweed mississippi (or was it Louisiana), I really started to question the hire.

If we are able to win 3 of 4 of our non-conference games, and at least 2 of our conference games, I will be happy. Of course, Chizik left the bar pretty low, so I won't complain if we can't even meet my lowly standard.

But I stray off topic: I think PR has done an excellent job of picking quality assistants. And if they find success and head off to the four winds to coach elsewhere, well... If it happens at Oklahoma, then it happens at ISU. Fat Man left OK to coach at KU. Chuch "it" Long left for San Diego (?) only to fail (ha ha). Stoopid's little brother(s) left for exile in the desert SW.

1) 12 years wasn't enough of a "look" at McCarney? Jeesh!

2) I know it is in vogue to bash Chizik but by all accounts he dramatically upgraded the talent on our squad through his recruiting efforts. It pisses me off that he left before putting some wins on the shelf for ISU but can you blame the man for doubling his salary and taking a higher profile gig? I'll bet if you were in sales at a lower profile company and you were at about 25% of your quota and a higher profile company in your industry came and offered you twice as much comp guaranteed you would move in a heartbeat.

3) Boy, do I hope you are not a typical ISU fan...I would hope that a typical ISU fan has bigger expectations than winning three non-conference games and 2 conference games.

4) As I said previously...assistant coaches moving elsewhere to move up the coaching ladder is generally a sign that your program is doing something right. You mention coordinators getting HC gigs but you also see a lot of lower assistants move at these top schools.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm with cyfanman on this one.

I originally liked the Chizik selection too, even though I wasn't sold on getting rid of McCarney quite as soon as the AD did it. But when Chizik started pulling in these red neck no nuthins from bumbleweed mississippi (or was it Louisiana), I really started to question the hire. And when Cheezhead lost ALL of the non conference games in the first season except the Iowa game, I knew we had a problem. What's more, when Cheeshead discovered that he could open up a 20 point halftime lead and still loose to Kansas only a week after his team couldn't come back from a 21 point defecit to lowly UNLV, I think at that point he knew he had a problem too.

CC
ISU Alum 1990

Wait until he finishes off Auburn the next two years. Two conference wins may be matched in the SEC.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
3) Boy, do I hope you are not a typical ISU fan...I would hope that a typical ISU fan has bigger expectations than winning three non-conference games and 2 conference games.

I don't know, I'd be pretty happy with five wins next year. Six and a crappy bowl would be great, but I'd be OK with five.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Being happy with 5 wins next year does not mean we would be happy with 5 wins every year. IMHO

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Wait until he finishes off Auburn the next two years. Two conference wins may be matched in the SEC.

Exactly...Old Cheese-Dip is gonna find out that his "DREAM JOB" is gonna turn into his WORST NIGHTMARE...In a hurry...Meaning his first season!!!!

Couldn't happen to a nicer JERK!!!!!:yes:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Exactly...Old Cheese-Dip is gonna find out that his "DREAM JOB" is gonna turn into his WORST NIGHTMARE...In a hurry...Meaning his first season!!!!

You can only hope for the best for such a nice guy as the Chiz. I do think that he learned his lesson when hiring his new staff though so he may last 3 years before he plateaus and gets canned. Auburn wants SEC championships and wins agains Bama. I don't think the Chiz will get either... ever.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston

Like Floyd going to Chicago...they get the last laugh...all the way to the bank.