New Volleyball TaraFlex Court for Hilton

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"When you come to a volleyball match now, you are going to enter Hilton Coliseum and feel like you are in a volleyball arena," Iowa State volleyball head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch said. "Aesthetically, it is going to change the environment and the atmosphere. I know it is going to look great on TV, you are going to know it is a volleyball match as soon as you turn on the channel, and you will know it is Cyclone Volleyball."

http://cyclones.com/news/2018/8/24/iowa-state-to-debut-new-volleyball-court-tonight.aspx

image_handler.aspx

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
this is awesome in so many ways....love how cool it looks....not just a "blue" floor.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Very cool. Assuming that this type of floor is top-notch. Surprised no other schools have it. Does it roll out over the basketball floor? Or do they take out the basketball floor to put this in?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Very cool. Assuming that this type of floor is top-notch. Surprised no other schools have it. Does it roll out over the basketball floor? Or do they take out the basketball floor to put this in?

I assume this goes over the basketball floor. It can be "portable" but not sure how involved setting it up is how it is stored when not in use. It's the surface they use in the Olympics (after looking it up) and lots of colleges, including volleyball elite Nebraska have this.

"Taraflex® offers semi-permanent or portable flooring
solutions over existing hardwood floors to meet the needs of
NCAA Division 1 volleyball teams. Taraflex® Sports Flooring
experts will assist you with finding a customized solution for
your specific needs. "

The more I read about this the more I think this is kind of a big deal.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I assume this goes over the basketball floor. It can be "portable" but not sure how involved setting it up is how it is stored when not in use. It's the surface they use in the Olympics (after looking it up) and lots of colleges, including volleyball elite Nebraska have this.

"Taraflex® offers semi-permanent or portable flooring
solutions over existing hardwood floors to meet the needs of
NCAA Division 1 volleyball teams. Taraflex® Sports Flooring
experts will assist you with finding a customized solution for
your specific needs. "

The more I read about this the more I think this is kind of a big deal.

Brother in law told me about this too- he said something to the effect that once it is loose, you use a leaf blower and the air underneath it allows you to slide it around easily

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
T

Looking closer and it does look like the basketball floor is off like it is for non-basketball stuff like engineering fairs and such during the offseason. That will have to change in November when volleyball, MBB and WBB are sharing Hilton.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
T

Looking closer and it does look like the basketball floor is off like it is for non-basketball stuff like engineering fairs and such during the offseason. That will have to change in November when volleyball, MBB and WBB are sharing Hilton.
The TeraFlex is on top of the basketball court.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The TeraFlex is on top of the basketball court.
I was wondering the same thing but I saw the court extensions at either end that the basketball goal standards sit on. If it was on the concrete floor the VB court would likely be a perfect rectangle. I'd be curious to know how this will affect the finish of the BB court. Any dust caught between the floors will start grinding into the BB floor finish. They may need to refinish the BB floor more often with this VB court.

It is still great to see for an up and coming program.

SolonCy

Aug 23, 2008
Curious as to why the I-State logo isn’t on the floor? Just the Big 12 and Iowa State Cyclones on the side?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The VBall Iowa State Challenge has been a good showing for the new court. But, it also seems to have one odd side effect as noticed by me and commented on by the pxpers.

Any sort of glistening moisture beads up and shows readily on the new matte surface, vexingly apparent. The shiny surface of the basketball court may have hid the moisture, though not the hazard, more readily. More and seemingly thorough mop-stops during matches is now expected.

Last edited: