New water heater...

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Got a Rheem 40-gallon water heater last year and it was $2,600 installed. I've never had a tankless but $10k sounds insane to me, in just a few quick searches it looks like Rheem tankless are <$2k not including labor/installation.
Spent $900+ on the same tank for my son-in-law and we installed it ourselves. Took about 2 hours.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It must make a big difference having kids. In our 18 years of living in this house, with a 40gal water heater, we've never experienced running out of hot water. Looking back, it was pretty stupid of me to replace it with a 50 gallon.....

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Lol. I live on freezing cold well water and our propane tankless runs 3 showers at the same time for as long as anyone wants to shower.

To the OP:
Navien 240A2 - $2384 plus install. Installed this past fall. Yes, the $10k quote is a rape job. Should be half that at max.
I have no stake in this, I like scolding hot showers and tankless don't provide that.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
A pretty easy rule of thumb for this kind of thing is double the cost of equipment. Could be a little more or less depending on how much rework is involved as this is not a 1 for 1 replacement . $10k is outrageous.

Reactions: clone4life82

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I have no stake in this, I like scolding hot showers and tankless don't provide that.
What do you mean? Even smaller navien heaters can do a 90 degree temperature rise at 2.6 gpm. Shower heads have been maxed at 2.5 gpm for over 30 years. Incoming water temperature is probably around 50 F. 140 degree water will cause 3rd degree burns in 5 seconds.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
My gas bill is $25-35 in the summer months and we have a 60 gallon tank. And a gas stove that gets used 3-4 times a week, even in summer.

I've never understood the tankless thing at all. Feels like a gimmick to get you to spend twice as much for something that really isn't discernably different.
And requires more maintenance, generally never lives long enough to realize the return on investment of initial cost, etc. They are not for me, I've known too many people who had bad experiences with them. If I ever have a need for 'endless' hot water I'll get a fast recovery/commercial tank unit.

• Dumb
Reactions: TXCyclones

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We're in an economic period where some of these industries simply toss out ridiculous quotes to price themselves out of the deal due to not having capacity - but then if someone actually accepts the quote they will make it happen.

This has been going on for years. It's the "Well, if I can scam you with a price 100% over the norm, good for me!" Home Depot says their average tankless + installation is $4300. They have this on their national site:

Nationwide costs generally fall within the range of $2,400 to $5,400. Our overall estimate includes the following:
  • Tankless water heater
  • Permits
  • Installation materials
  • Installation labor by a local, licensed and insured plumber
  • Removal of the old unit

Ankency

Oct 22, 2018
In a house with 3 girls + a wife we replaced our 50 gallon with a 65,000 btu burner several years ago with a 40 gallon (recommended by plumber) and we have yet to run out of hot water

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I bought a 50gal 7yr for $625 on sale after rebate 2 years ago. 1.5h labor and the gas check cert ended up being about $825 total.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
$10k seems awfully high. What are they going to correct that was done wrong? Is there piping that needs to be reworked? Venting that needs to be changed? Are you switching from electric to gas (or vice versa) that requires a new service to be run?

Even with that, $10k is too high. I know I didn't live in central Iowa anymore, but I just got a new 50 gallon water heater with reworked gas lines and my incoming water regulator replaced for about $2500.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I have s*** experience with tankless, ignore my comments outside of doubling is golden if affordable of course

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
In a house with 3 girls + a wife we replaced our 50 gallon with a 65,000 btu burner several years ago with a 40 gallon (recommended by plumber) and we have yet to run out of hot water

I have a brand new 40gal gas water heater that was installed in the older home we just moved into in August (after having had tankless for years in several homes). My wife and I run out of hot water before the second person showers if we don't leave some time for recovery.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
$10k is an “I don’t need the work but for the right price ill do it” quote. We see that in my industry a lot. You should be half of that or less for that job.

Water heaters are also a fairly easy DIY job if you are comfortable with the gas plumbing or electrical work.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
$10k is an “I don’t need the work but for the right price ill do it” quote. We see that in my industry a lot. You should be half of that or less for that job.

Water heaters are also a fairly easy DIY job if you are comfortable with the gas plumbing or electrical work.
What if you aren't? I am in the same situation as dahlia right now, our unit from 1997 bit the dust finally (bought the house in Sept of 2023). My wife went to Lowes and got quoted $4300 for new water heater +install, and my brother in law told her to just buy the heater because I (thanks, guy) should be able to simply watch a you tube video and figure out how to install it, therefore saving us something like $3500 for them to do it. But I have no experience with such things and my wife doesn't want me messing around with gas lines when we've got 2 kids 3 or under in the house.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
What if you aren't? I am in the same situation as dahlia right now, our unit from 1997 bit the dust finally (bought the house in Sept of 2023). My wife went to Lowes and got quoted $4300 for new water heater +install, and my brother in law told her to just buy the heater because I (thanks, guy) should be able to simply watch a you tube video and figure out how to install it, therefore saving us something like $3500 for them to do it. But I have no experience with such things and my wife doesn't want me messing around with gas lines when we've got 2 kids 3 or under in the house.
Hire a plumber and don’t do it yourself. A bad install job could leave your house full of carbon monoxide.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I have a brand new 40gal gas water heater that was installed in the older home we just moved into in August (after having had tankless for years in several homes). My wife and I run out of hot water before the second person showers if we don't leave some time for recovery.
I have a wife and 2 daughters, and we don't have the issue with our 40 gallon tank heater. I've taken showers while the washer has ran too, and only thing I missed was some water pressure. Tankless will do nothing for pressure.

Just because I have friends that have had bad experiences, doesn't make me or my comment "dumb."

Plus at old house (about 6 years ago) when I needed to replace the water heater, I wanted a tankless and the plumber talked me out of it, even though it would have made him more $...

• Dumb
Reactions: TXCyclones