New water heater...

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I have a wife and 2 daughters, and we don't have the issue with our 40 gallon tank heater. I've taken showers while the washer has ran too, and only thing I missed was some water pressure. Tankless will do nothing for pressure.

Just because I have friends that have had bad experiences, doesn't make me or my comment "dumb."

Plus at old house (about 6 years ago) when I needed to replace the water heater, I wanted a tankless and the plumber talked me out of it, even though it would have made him more $...

You stated "And requires more maintenance, generally never lives long enough to realize the return on investment of initial cost, etc." which is not true. Thus the "dumb". Sorry about your hurt feelings.

• Dumb
Reactions: herbicide

Mort4Cy

Apr 8, 2011
I just had a Navien tankless installed this month. Total was just over $5K but I opted to have recirc lines added for instant hot water to avoid waste. If you are in Ames area, I highly recommend Benjamin Franklin. Fast, professional, and great with communication.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
You stated "And requires more maintenance, generally never lives long enough to realize the return on investment of initial cost, etc." which is not true. Thus the "dumb". Sorry about your hurt feelings.
They are true, at least from my multiple friends' experiences, plus what the plumber told me. No, not what the marketing material says, but actual real, live experiences.

Even those marketing materials talk about the need for descaling maintenance.

Look, they certainly have selling points, but that doesn't mean they are some panacea, especially for a problem that doesn't exist for many people.

Jaws73

Dec 5, 2011
I bought 50 Gal AO Smith electri water heater from Lowes a few months ago. I paid right at $500 and hooked it up myself. It took less then 30 min.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
They are true, at least from my multiple friends' experiences, plus what the plumber told me. No, not what the marketing material says, but actual real, live experiences.

Even those marketing materials talk about the need for descaling maintenance.

Look, they certainly have selling points, but that doesn't mean they are some panacea, especially for a problem that doesn't exist for many people.

I've never read the "marketing material". I have had four in my last two homes. The first two were Rinnai and the last two were Rheem. I had the first two for 11 years and the last two for 7 years. In spite of very heavy calcium content in the water here I never once had to descale, nor did I ever have a single maintenance problem.

Interestingly, during that same time period I had two rental properties that both had "traditional" water heaters (one electric, one gas). Both had to be replaced due to the calcium build up.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I've never read the "marketing material". I have had four in my last two homes. The first two were Rinnai and the last two were Rheem. I had the first two for 11 years and the last two for 7 years. In spite of very heavy calcium content in the water here I never once had to descale, nor did I ever have a single maintenance problem.

Interestingly, during that same time period I had two rental properties that both had "traditional" water heaters (one electric, one gas). Both had to be replaced due to the calcium build up.
And my last tanked water heater lasted 20+ years, it was the original in the house when replaced. I have a friend that is on their 3rd tankless in roughly a decade, say 10-15 years. This is in Iowa where are water has moderately high hardness.

So... for the sake of argument lets say they both last the same amount of time. What is the cost difference? What does a tankless save in energy $ over the newer high efficiency tanked heaters per year (the only kind you can buy these days)? That is where the ROI question comes from.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
And my last tanked water heater lasted 20+ years, it was the original in the house when replaced. I have a friend that is on their 3rd tankless in roughly a decade, say 10-15 years. This is in Iowa where are water has moderately high hardness.

So... for the sake of argument lets say they both last the same amount of time. What is the cost difference? What does a tankless save in energy $ over the newer high efficiency tanked heaters per year (the only kind you can buy these days)? That is where the ROI question comes from.

Based on my experience the monthly gas bill for tankless is 1/6 to 1/4 than their tank counterpart.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
What if you aren't? I am in the same situation as dahlia right now, our unit from 1997 bit the dust finally (bought the house in Sept of 2023). My wife went to Lowes and got quoted $4300 for new water heater +install, and my brother in law told her to just buy the heater because I (thanks, guy) should be able to simply watch a you tube video and figure out how to install it, therefore saving us something like $3500 for them to do it. But I have no experience with such things and my wife doesn't want me messing around with gas lines when we've got 2 kids 3 or under in the house.
Get a couple quotes from local plumbers. Gas plumbing isn't overly complicated, but a typical water heater install is probably about the worst place to learn on. Enclosed space with a pilot light on the bottom floor of the house is a recipe for disaster in the case of a leak.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I bought 12 A O Smith 20 gallon 208 3 phase water heaters this year for $4350 each - delivered but not installed. They aren't tankless and only 20 gallon but they are top of the line commercial grade.

Take it for what it is worth.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

We're coming up on 30 years on ours. Still going strong.

hell-no.gif

I'm afraid to do any maintenance on it because I'll probably knock something loose.

Reactions: herbicide

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have a brand new 40gal gas water heater that was installed in the older home we just moved into in August (after having had tankless for years in several homes). My wife and I run out of hot water before the second person showers if we don't leave some time for recovery.
What temp do you have it set on? Are you running straight hot water because you have the water heater set at 110 degrees?

5Cy

Jun 26, 2015
We have a tankless and I’d never go back to a tank. With 5 kids it’s nice knowing we’ll never run out of hot water. My in-laws have a tank and every time we stay with them we run out of hot water by the time the 4th person is done showering. I’ve just succumbed to the fact that I’m always going to take a cold shower every time we stay with them and their stupid tank heater. And their house is only ~6 years old so it’s not like they have an old unit.