New WR coach?

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
Flynn knows both the QB and WR positions and the thought process for each since he had to go through that transition. Could be a big help for Tiller if Tiller comes back as a WR next year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Another thing for my wish list...

I would like a WR coach who can bring in some new ideas for the passing game. Someone who is in a system that runs routes to get WRs open. It would be very nice to get some new energy injected into the passing game since our run game has been pretty solid recently.
It would be nice if the new WR coach is an up and comer and a potential OC heir apparent. Having guys stick around forever can be nice, but upward mobility is a big motivator for a lot of coaches.

packthejack23

Oct 7, 2011
I say we should look to bring in a WR coach from a non-BCS high powered offense. The Houston WR coach and the Southern MIss WR coach come to mind.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I say we should look to bring in a WR coach from a non-BCS high powered offense. The Houston WR coach and the Southern MIss WR coach come to mind.

If those guys aren't going with their respective head coaches to their new BCS schools that would be great.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm going to throw a name out there that sounds good to me.

David Beaty

He was WR coach/passing game coordinator under Herman at Rice coaching Dillard and Casey
Then he went to Kansas and coached Meier and Briscoe
He then went back to Rice as OC & QB coach
And this past year he was at Kansas as WR coach and Co-OC for Gill

His main recruiting area is Texas (Garland HS grad). He knows Hermans system really well and was part of the successfull spread at KU under Mangino. He has coordinator experience and has coached some really good WRs. I wont hold his stint with Gill against him, because that whole thing was a no win situation.

I think he could bring some new energy to the passing game and should be able to do good things with our WRs.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com

David Beaty

He was WR coach/passing game coordinator under Herman at Rice coaching Dillard and Casey

His main recruiting area is Texas (Garland HS grad). He knows Hermans system really well and was part of the successfull spread at KU under Mangino. He has coordinator experience and has coached some really good WRs. I wont hold his stint with Gill against him, because that whole thing was a no win situation.

I think he could bring some new energy to the passing game and should be able to do good things with our WRs.

Nice find -- wonder if he's been interviewing since being let go at KU?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

David Beaty

The two things that jumped out to me were simple:
1. Wide Receivers blocking ability downfield. These guys would flat out get after you and even though i hated to see Sharp running wild, it was out of respect that i praised their WR.

2. Anybody you can get that has these type of ties to texas only helps in not only making but keeping those connections!

Get'em CPR.....

yankeebruin

May 21, 2008
I have it on good authority that Paul Rhoads will be contacting each of the previous posters in this thread individually to discuss his/her recommendation for WR coach. To the posters, your input is very important and may be critical to the making of a good selection, so please give Coach your best idea succintly so he might narrow his focus and make a selection quickly.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I have it on good authority that Paul Rhoads will be contacting each of the previous posters in this thread individually to discuss his/her recommendation for WR coach. To the posters, your input is very important and may be critical to the making of a good selection, so please give Coach your best idea succintly so he might narrow his focus and make a selection quickly.

I'm glad CPR is approaching this so logically.