New wrestling facility put on hold - Jamie Pollard statement

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I’ve watched Hollywood, another multi billion dollar industry consistently miss the audience for all their projects the last few years. Acting like a bunch of old dudes that still think linear TV is the future are master minds is likely pretty far from the truth.
Now now. I agree with you, but to attack us older people as naive about what's transpiring is insulting. I've been in technology my whole life and have successfully predicted Cisco, Google, Apple, and Amazon's success. BUT, have always been a tad early. I've come to the conclusion that once a company reaches a certain size, the pressure of 'improving margins', always forces different policies; most of which suck. Consequently, OTA will be around a little while longer. Look no further than Amazon Prime's recent digression into the gazillion channel cluster F&%c show that cable and satellite have been for decades.

Reactions: landerson

FDISU

Sep 11, 2019
It succeeded greatly. The B1G didn't care about how many people actually watched. The whole goal was to expand into big TV markets (NY/NJ and DC) and shoehorn BTN onto lower/basic cable tiers and then charge everybody for it.
Aha -- good insight. I didn't know that.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
With conferences such as the Big10 /SEC trying to monopolize the money, why does the BIG12 let Missouri into its conference for wrestling? Do they get a cut of the conference pie?

Reactions: Proton

cywr89

May 14, 2009
With conferences such as the Big10 /SEC trying to monopolize the money, why does the BIG12 let Missouri into its conference for wrestling? Do they get a cut of the conference pie?
There is no cut of the pie for wrestling. Adding MO is what’s best for wrestling and Big 12. Plain and simple. Wrestling has and will have more obstacles to stay relevant. MO wrestling makes Big 12 wrestling and ISU more relevant. You think the SEC care less what happens to MO wrestling? This is why we are keeping OK, too.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Gonna push back a little on this one, why would people choose to watch and spend money on a worse NFL? College sports are so dominant because of the connections people have to a school, whether it’s attending, a family member attending, or growing up near a college. If you want to see the power of that, Iowa State women’s basketball averages more fans than the average WNBA game.
They already are? Most of the teams in the listed states get 80k plus in their stadium every week and draw 2mil + every week on tv. The ratings might drop slightly from the left behind fans, and I truly believe it will not make a big dent in their ratings, the casual fan in New York City or wherever will always watch Texas vs Bama/OSU vs Michigan.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
There is no cut of the pie for wrestling. Adding MO is what’s best for wrestling and Big 12. Plain and simple. Wrestling has and will have more obstacles to stay relevant. MO wrestling makes Big 12 wrestling and ISU more relevant. You think the SEC care less what happens to MO wrestling? This is why we are keeping OK, too.
Not saying you’re wrong, but how would wrestling be diminished if those two were in the MAC or wherever else? The people at those institutions rejected our conference and chose be associated with other institutions. If they want to collaborate in research or some other real life endeavor, then fine. But in athletics, I hope the two institutions suck in every way going forward - especially OU. If that means our conference has two fewer wrestling powers, then I am fine with that.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Not saying you’re wrong, but how would wrestling be diminished if those two were in the MAC or wherever else? The people at those institutions rejected our conference and chose be associated with other institutions. If they want to collaborate in research or some other real life endeavor, then fine. But in athletics, I hope the two institutions suck in every way going forward - especially OU. If that means our conference has two fewer wrestling powers, then I am fine with that.
One of the things having them
In the conference helps us with is more allocations to Nationals which in turn gives us more chances to have our athletes qualify. Also most likely increases our wrestlers RPI with wins over quality opponents which is a criteria for allocations to Nationals. Also puts more butts in our seats , the Missouri dual this year was packed .

Reactions: Proton

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
One of the things having them
In the conference helps us with is more allocations to Nationals which in turn gives us more chances to have our athletes qualify. Also most likely increases our wrestlers RPI with wins over quality opponents which is a criteria for allocations to Nationals. Also puts more butts in our seats , the Missouri dual this year was packed .
Those are good points - thanks. It is more palatable to me still having them in the conference if/when the Clones are a stronger program or team. It seems like we’re about on the level with MU at the moment and a notch above OU.

Reactions: jkbuff98

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Additionally, I think there are a ton of fans who will watch games they don't have a personal tie to just because they love college football. There's tradition, pageantry, and spectacle that NFL can never replicate.

How many rivalries have been destroyed or will be (Nebraska/OU, Nebraska/Colorado, ISU/Mizzou, Oregon/OSU, Washington/WSU, OU/Okie St,etc.) from all the realignment that has happened? Don't you think that (negatively) impacts the tradition, pageantry, and spectacle of college football? Do you think Mizzou/Vandy gets as many eyeballs as a Mizzou/ISU game would?

What happens when you have fans of teams that are used to winning 9+ games a year going through stretches of 6-6 to 7-5 seasons because they now play 10 games a year against programs used to winning 9+ games a year and not everyone can win? Do their fans start losing interest? USC and UCLA "fans" hardly care when their team is 9-3 let alone 6-6.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
The big 10 hasn't won a men's basketball title in 1/4 century. The SEC hasn't won one in 12 years. Maybe it's time for the Big 12, Big east and Acc to start our own tournament. We could maybe take a couple teams from those conferences like purdue and Kentucky and a few others. Iowa would be left behind of course because they offer nothing because we already have the state of Iowa tv market.
This is the play. Let them try to be "College Football" without the rest of college football. And the rest of the conferences can be "College Basketball" and our version of college football. It would take several years, but I think that might force the BIG and the SEC back into the fold with a more equitable revenue sharing arrangement. It might not work, but this path we're currently taking leads to a permanent disadvantage.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Agree. Take whatever private donations we had lined up for the wrestling facility and send that straight to the collective. Going to get way more bang for your buck.

Improved facilities as a recruiting tool is a Stone Age idea.
In reality, the taj mahal facilities were a distortion BECAUSE athletes couldn't be paid. So compensation took the form of sweet facilities. What a waste...

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
This is the play. Let them try to be "College Football" without the rest of college football. And the rest of the conferences can be "College Basketball" and our version of college football. It would take several years, but I think that might force the BIG and the SEC back into the fold with a more equitable revenue sharing arrangement. It might not work, but this path we're currently taking leads to a permanent disadvantage.
Who is funding this other version of college football when all the value still belongs to the P2?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A couple of thoughts and follow up questions from the @brentblum and @ChrisMWilliams Sunday pod re' JP's CFP/B10/SEC comments:

1) Was there a gun being held to the heads of Brett Yormark and Jim Phillips regarding CFP payout allocation and auto berths for the extended CFP contract? If so, what exactly was the threat from the CFP/B10/SEC to not signing on to such a ridiculous CFP payout and qualification structure? I think I know what the answer is but that threat is what needs to be made public by JP or others IMO in order to possibly stop this nonsense sooner than later. JP also needs to be asked how in the hell ESPN was the only bidder for extension of CFP rights at below market value which was another factor for reducing CFP payouts to ISU. And why was ESPN granted an option to sublicense those rights to Fox, also at below market value? And this was all done only a few months after Fox made it known that they were going all in on CFP bidding and then they didn't even submit a bid? Sublicensing of rights for a premium package like that is unheard of.

2) As noted above, ESPN and Fox are running CFB and Sankey and Petitti are their puppets. Everything going on relative to realignment and CFP is being orchestrated by them. ESPN being the only bidder for the extension of CFP rights was orchestrated by both ESPN and Fox to their mutual benefit. Fox destroyed the PAC by first manipulating USC/UCLA to the B10 and then followed that up with their final kill shot of funding the additions of Oregon and Washington as well. As you suggested during the pod, the damage to Oregon ST and Washington St is real and they are already incurring the destruction. The damage done to those schools along with the destruction of the PAC has not yet received enough attention and maybe won't in the near term but the looming destruction in 2027 of the ACC should when ESPN likely doesn't pick up their TV contract option. The fallout from destroying the ACC will result in additional manipulation by ESPN and Fox to consolidate inventory to their mutual benefit and further rid themselves of schools (e.g. Wake Forest, Syracuse) receiving premium payouts. And the damage done to those schools will be similar to what has happened to Oregon St and Wazzu.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It makes the product our conference produces more attractive. Their wrestling program is a victim of this like all the wresting programs outside the B1G.

• Informative
Reactions: cyputz and crablegs

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Who is funding this other version of college football when all the value still belongs to the P2?
The funding will continue to come from ESPN and Fox at greatly reduced payouts.

Or in a best case scenario, B12/ACC will convince a streamer (Apple or Amazon) along with an OTA provider (that they create or buy out) and potentially private equity to make a competitive bid for their combined inventory to where payouts are somewhat competitive with those of the B10/SEC. But that streamer needs access to the CFP as well and ESPN and Fox will attempt to block that access and that's where intervention by P3/P4 Presidents or the Feds is needed to stop the ESPN/Fox stranglehold they currently have on the sport.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclonsin

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
I am probably being naive, but was there another option for scaling back the amenities upfront on the new wrestling facility to reduce the initial investment? It seems that keeping the momentum from recent success is important, and how far would half the $20 million have gone? Perhaps delay some of the comfort creatures to a later phase? Scrapping the entire project seems shortsighted.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I am probably being naive, but was there another option for scaling back the amenities upfront on the new wrestling facility to reduce the initial investment? It seems that keeping the momentum from recent success is important, and how far would half the $20 million have gone? Perhaps delay some of the comfort creatures to a later phase? Scrapping the entire project seems shortsighted.
I think it's entirely possible that there is no ISU wrestling in a decade. Or maybe it's a club sport. But if the future of the sport as whole is in doubt longplaying the upgrades doesn't make a lot of sense either.

I hate this.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I feel like the pause to to gain clarity of what the future looks like. Changes might be subtle or changes could be drastic. Not only from a financial perspective (aka student-athletes become employees) but also from a governance perspective (football & hoops not part of NCAA or Athletic Departments).

Unless the money for facilities is funded by donors up front, borrowing the funds is probably a 10-20 year budget impact.