Next CF Bracket

Which one do you want to see done next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm leaning sports movies, but that's going to bring some interesting questions. Primarily, is <insert movie name> really a sports movie?

Another movie-based tourney I think would be interesting is westerns, but not everyone is a fan of westerns.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I voted for fast food and I would be happy to serve on that committee. Same with soda or sports movies.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Since it says 'Best Iowa City' and not 'Best Iowa city' does this mean the entire bracket will be 'Iowa City' versus "Everywhere Besides Iowa City' ?

I may have to change my vote if this is the case.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Good to see comedians in the lead and I look forward to seeing Tom Segura win it.

Tommy Buns is a wiiild choice. I used to be really into YMH but he’s insufferable now and I never really liked his standup at all.

Shane Gillis is the funniest guy out there right now. Ten days until Tires drops on Netflix and I can’t wait.

That being said, I don’t think the Comedian bracket would go over very well. It’s just gonna be old people saying how much better they were in my day and young people saying standup is better now. It’s gonna turn into young vs old.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don’t think the Comedian bracket would go over very well. It’s just gonna be old people saying how much better they were in my day and young people saying standup is better now. It’s gonna turn into young vs old.

Perhaps. But (1) depends where a person draws the line between "young" vs "old" (1b) can depend how much someone is into stand-up comedy overall (2) having a good age distribution on the committee can help w/ selection and seeding (in principle).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Tommy Buns is a wiiild choice. I used to be really into YMH but he’s insufferable now and I never really liked his standup at all.

Shane Gillis is the funniest guy out there right now. Ten days until Tires drops on Netflix and I can’t wait.

That being said, I don’t think the Comedian bracket would go over very well. It’s just gonna be old people saying how much better they were in my day and young people saying standup is better now. It’s gonna turn into young vs old.
This would be a tough bracket to seed. There are a few really influential comedians that should have high seeds (Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, etc) but I don't know that someone like Bob Hope is gonna knock off a Bill Burr just based on the CF demographics.

I don't envy the committee on this one. So many styles out there. Deadpan, story tellers, big personalities, one-liners, crowd-workers, dirty, family-friendly, duos.

Every comedian hits me harder depending on my mood. Sometimes, I want someone like Jeselnik or Glaser or Burr or Gillis or Sagura or Jeffries or Bargatze or Cole, but other times I may just want quick one-liners like Dmitri Martin or Steven Wright. I could rattle off 40 more without thinking too hard. I'm a huge stand-up fan, so I'll have some serious internal conflicts with this bracket.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Perhaps. But (1) depends where a person draws the line between "young" vs "old" (1b) can depend how much someone is into stand-up comedy overall (2) having a good age distribution on the committee can help w/ selection and seeding (in principle).

I think there's kind of a natural line for comedy. There was a boom in the 80's and 90s, then it sucked for quite awhile and now we're in the middle of another boom. The older folks will lean hard on the 80s/early 90s and the younger folks will lean on 2010+. I don't think there are many people that know a lot about both generations of comedians.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean