Next CF Bracket

Which one do you want to see done next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Stand up will be extremely controversial for not only who wins each round, but who gets placed even in the bracket. I’ve seen some guys mentioned already that shouldn’t even be in the tournament. It would also depend on what era of stand up you came up on. Who would be the number 1s? Carlin and Pryor are no brainers, but who’s the other 2? Chris Rock? Dave Chappelle? Eddie Murphy? Jerry Seinfeld? Robin Williams? Bill Hicks?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Tommy Buns is a wiiild choice. I used to be really into YMH but he’s insufferable now and I never really liked his standup at all.

Shane Gillis is the funniest guy out there right now. Ten days until Tires drops on Netflix and I can’t wait.

That being said, I don’t think the Comedian bracket would go over very well. It’s just gonna be old people saying how much better they were in my day and young people saying standup is better now. It’s gonna turn into young vs old.
Todd Barry or Dave Attell would be up there for me.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Stand up will be extremely controversial for not only who wins each round, but who gets placed even in the bracket. I’ve seen some guys mentioned already that shouldn’t even be in the tournament. It would also depend on what era of stand up you came up on. Who would be the number 1s? Carlin and Pryor are no brainers, but who’s the other 2? Chris Rock? Dave Chappelle? Eddie Murphy? Jerry Seinfeld? Robin Williams? Bill Hicks?
Pre-controversial Dave Chappelle was amazing. Then he lost his gd mind.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This would be a tough bracket to seed. There are a few really influential comedians that should have high seeds (Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, etc) but I don't know that someone like Bob Hope is gonna knock off a Bill Burr just based on the CF demographics.

I don't envy the committee on this one. So many styles out there. Deadpan, story tellers, big personalities, one-liners, crowd-workers, dirty, family-friendly, duos.

Every comedian hits me harder depending on my mood. Sometimes, I want someone like Jeselnik or Glaser or Burr or Gillis or Sagura or Jeffries or Bargatze or Cole, but other times I may just want quick one-liners like Dmitri Martin or Steven Wright. I could rattle off 40 more without thinking too hard. I'm a huge stand-up fan, so I'll have some serious internal conflicts with this bracket.

I agree with everything you say here. I also (right or wrong) tie comedians into their podcasts because all of them have one or make appearances. It's hard not to when you can get those once a week and a special drops every year or two. I listen to a ton of them.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Since it says 'Best Iowa City' and not 'Best Iowa city' does this mean the entire bracket will be 'Iowa City' versus "Everywhere Besides Iowa City' ?

I may have to change my vote if this is the case.

I can't edit choices but means best city in state of Iowa.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

This kind of makes my point I was trying to make earlier. None of those comedians listed peaked in the last 20 years. Maybe Chappelle but he started popping off in the mid 90's. It would be heavily biased based on the age of the people voting.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Agree. Not saying he's my absolute favorite, but I don't see any way Murphy isn't a 1. 'Delirious' and 'Raw' are two of the best sets ever IMO.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Another tough one in comedy bracket is what do you do with Cosby. Vile human being but his comedy was good.

Comedian might be a bracket where getting a couple of younger CF people on committee might be necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Best candy championship matchup would be:

Twizzlers Pull and Peel VS Sour Patch Kids Extreme

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Another tough one in comedy bracket is what do you do with Cosby. Vile human being but his comedy was good.
There was some discussion last year w/ the sitcoms tournament re: Cosby. My view is assessing it on merit. It'd be understandable if votes don't go his way with human element.

He might not get seeded too highly anyway because his stand-up period was so long ago and by this point lost in shuffle.

That indirectly brings us back to the time frame, discussed & mentioned earlier in this thread and something that was a challenge with sitcoms: not easy to assess impact and influence. Mort Sahl and Lenny Bruce (and others) are considered trailblazers/legendary, but unless you're a stand-up completist, familiarity is limited.

I guess that indirectly supports the comment earlier by @AgronAlum, even though I disputed it somewhat in my response. :)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Shane Gillis is the funniest guy out there right now. Ten days until Tires drops on Netflix and I can’t wait.

That being said, I don’t think the Comedian bracket would go over very well. It’s just gonna be old people saying how much better they were in my day and young people saying standup is better now. It’s gonna turn into young vs old.
Don't all of these brackets?
BTW...George Carlin FTW! :cool:

• Winner

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I'd be interested to see where Norm got seeded. He's brilliant and deserving of a 1 to me, but his style isn't for everyone. I'd probably vote Chappelle as the best overall, but those older than me would put guys like Carlin and Pryor as their tops probably.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You skatina!
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CRcyclone6

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Also... Would the seedings be based strictly on a person's stand-up? Some of them become famous actors even though their stand-up act is garbage. For me, Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, and Hicks would be the 1 seeds. Robin Williams was a hack, and Seinfeld is not funny at all. Chappelle is great though. And I would have Mitch Hedberg rated pretty high.

If we do a stand-up tournament, we could post videos for each match-up. Maybe like 5 minutes of each comic's best material, or something along those lines.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Also... Would the seedings be based strictly on a person's stand-up? Some of them become famous actors even though their stand-up act is garbage. For me, Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, and Hicks would be the 1 seeds. Robin Williams was a hack, and Seinfeld is not funny at all. Chappelle is great though. And I would have Mitch Hedberg rated pretty high.

If we do a stand-up tournament, we could post videos for each match-up. Maybe like 5 minutes of each comic's best material, or something along those lines.

IMO Yes which is why I have stand up in the choice.